Microsoft cites GPLv3 Legal Concerns

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Jonathan Walker, Jul 7, 2007.

  1. http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=200900752

    "" In a statement, Microsoft said it does not believe that distributing
    software licensed under GPLv3 constitutes an acceptance of its terms --
    including the prohibition on lawsuits. Nonetheless, the company said it
    will limit open source software sold and supported through its Novell
    alliance to code that is licensed under GPLv2, which does not include the
    lawsuit prohibition. ""

    Let's see...

    The only way a person can distribute software is if they are licensed by
    the copyright holder to distribute it.

    If that software is licensed under the GPLv3, then any distribution of
    said software is fundamentally bound by the terms of that license; and the
    person or corporation doing said distribution is also bound by the terms
    of that license - if they wish to distribute said software.

    So, how can M$ distribute GPL3'd software without implicitly accepting the
    terms of that license?

    M$ knows the terms up front - there is no EULA for it to be trapped by
    once it opens a shrink-wrapped box that by doing so invalidates any
    American's right to return it back to the shop.

    --
    Jonathan Walker

    bath and a short dress to get into."

    Jonathan Walker, Jul 7, 2007

  2. Jonathan Walker

    Peter Guest

    Jonathan Walker wrote:
    > http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=200900752
    > "" In a statement, Microsoft said it does not believe that distributing
    > software licensed under GPLv3 constitutes an acceptance of its terms --
    > including the prohibition on lawsuits.""
    >
    > Let's see...
    > The only way a person can distribute software is if they are licensed by
    > the copyright holder to distribute it.

    http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/misc/07-05statement.mspx
    "Microsoft is not a party to the GPLv3 license and none of its actions are
    to be misinterpreted as accepting status as a contracting party of GPLv3 or
    assuming any legal obligations under such license."

    So, MS think they are above the law, and declare themselves not bound by
    licences put on software by the authors of that software.

    When MS makes statements like this, it is no wonder so many people think
    they are crooks.

    Peter

    Peter, Jul 7, 2007

  3. On Sat, 07 Jul 2007 20:58:51 +1200, Peter wrote:

    > When MS makes statements like this, it is no wonder so many people think
    > they are crooks.

    That is because two words that accurately describe M$ truly are "crook"
    and "bully"!

    Jonathan Walker, Jul 7, 2007