    the required subject fields. Any suggestions or recommendations for
    how to do this efficiently?

    Beachcomber
    Beachcomber, Dec 20, 2004

  2. Beachcomber

    mark mandel Guest

    "Beachcomber" <> wrote in message
    news:...

    > I'd like to hear from anyone who has recently become a MicroSoft
    > Certified Systems Engineer.
    >
    > How much did it cost you in total? How long did it take? Did you use
    > the study info offered at Microsoft's Web Site and/or take courses in
    > the required subject fields. Any suggestions or recommendations for
    > how to do this efficiently?
    >
    > Beachcomber

    I "considered" last year when my regular biz(I'm a self-employed piano
    technician)got so slow for weeks the summer of last year. But I don't have
    a degree in Computer Science which apparently is strongly recommended. And
    after attending a two month course for the prerequisite A+ Certification
    degree, the biz finally improved so I decided to make computer service a
    hobby and forget about the whole MCSE thing completely.

    You have to be careful about some of these schools that in recent years have
    been hyping this especially when the IT job market hasn't been so great to
    begin with. I can remember though a former friend who I re-established
    email contact with eight years ago who got one of those certifications by
    passing the required six exams and this WITHOUT his having a degree in C.S.
    either. He was what you'd call a "paper" MCSE.

    mark mandel, Dec 20, 2004

  3. Beachcomber

    Beachcomber Guest

    >You have to be careful about some of these schools that in recent years have
    >been hyping this especially when the IT job market hasn't been so great to
    >begin with. I can remember though a former friend who I re-established
    >email contact with eight years ago who got one of those certifications by
    >passing the required six exams and this WITHOUT his having a degree in C.S.
    >either. He was what you'd call a "paper" MCSE.

    Thanks for the advice. In my case, I have a BSEE and worked as an
    Assistant Network Administrator for 5 years. The work kept me busy
    and was enjoyable. Unfortunately, I made the mistake of thinking the
    company was secure and I never felt a pressing need to get the MCSE
    credential as I felt my company knew me well and demonstrated a need
    for the skills I possessed. Last year came wholesale layoffs and
    this year the company went bankrupt. Bottom line, I'm out of work and
    I'm finding out that even the smallest companies are asking for
    Microsoft Certification.

    Beachcomber
    Beachcomber, Dec 20, 2004
  4. Beachcomber

    Mark Mandell Guest

    >>You have to be careful about some of these schools that in recent years
    >>have
    >>been hyping this especially when the IT job market hasn't been so great to
    >>begin with. I can remember though a former friend who I re-established
    >>email contact with eight years ago who got one of those certifications by
    >>passing the required six exams and this WITHOUT his having a degree in
    >>C.S.
    >>either. He was what you'd call a "paper" MCSE.
    >>>

    > Thanks for the advice. In my case, I have a BSEE and worked as an
    > Assistant Network Administrator for 5 years. The work kept me busy
    > and was enjoyable. Unfortunately, I made the mistake of thinking the
    > company was secure and I never felt a pressing need to get the MCSE
    > credential as I felt my company knew me well and demonstrated a need
    > for the skills I possessed. Last year came wholesale layoffs and
    > this year the company went bankrupt. Bottom line, I'm out of work and
    > I'm finding out that even the smallest companies are asking for
    > Microsoft Certification.
    >
    > Beachcomber

    Actually what you should consider doing is to get hired by one of the
    companies THEN get them to bankroll you for the course once they feel
    confident that you're what they need.
    Mark Mandell, Dec 20, 2004
  5. Beachcomber

    Trent© Guest

    On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 18:10:18 GMT, (Beachcomber)
    wrote:

    >>You have to be careful about some of these schools that in recent years have
    >>been hyping this especially when the IT job market hasn't been so great to
    >>begin with. I can remember though a former friend who I re-established
    >>email contact with eight years ago who got one of those certifications by
    >>passing the required six exams and this WITHOUT his having a degree in C.S.
    >>either. He was what you'd call a "paper" MCSE.
    >>>

    >Thanks for the advice. In my case, I have a BSEE and worked as an
    >Assistant Network Administrator for 5 years. The work kept me busy
    >and was enjoyable. Unfortunately, I made the mistake of thinking the
    >company was secure and I never felt a pressing need to get the MCSE
    >credential as I felt my company knew me well and demonstrated a need
    >for the skills I possessed. Last year came wholesale layoffs and
    >this year the company went bankrupt. Bottom line, I'm out of work and
    >I'm finding out that even the smallest companies are asking for
    >Microsoft Certification.
    >
    >Beachcomber

    Hire yourself!

    Actually, a lot of the small companies are contracting a lot of their
    work out. This might be a good/forced opportunity to go out on your
    own...especially if you can keep your prime occupation goin' at the
    same time.

    Make sure you make up a business card that brings out your degrees and
    qualifications...like '5 years experience in network administration'.

    Good luck.

    Have a nice one...

    Trent©

    Trent©, Dec 21, 2004
  6. Beachcomber

    Beachcomber Guest

    >Hire yourself!
    >
    >Actually, a lot of the small companies are contracting a lot of their
    >work out. This might be a good/forced opportunity to go out on your
    >own...especially if you can keep your prime occupation goin' at the
    >same time.
    >
    >Make sure you make up a business card that brings out your degrees and
    >qualifications...like '5 years experience in network administration'.
    >
    >Good luck.

    Thanks again for the info. I've got a couple of part-time businesses
    which keep me going. I still would like to get certified though.

    I know you have to pay a fee to take the tests, I'm wondering if you
    can get the required study materials at low cost or no cost from
    libraries etc? Has anyone successfully done this?

    Beachcomber
    Beachcomber, Dec 21, 2004
  7. Beachcomber

    Trent© Guest

    On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 04:37:36 GMT, (Beachcomber)
    wrote:

    >>Hire yourself!
    >>
    >>Actually, a lot of the small companies are contracting a lot of their
    >>work out. This might be a good/forced opportunity to go out on your
    >>own...especially if you can keep your prime occupation goin' at the
    >>same time.
    >>
    >>Make sure you make up a business card that brings out your degrees and
    >>qualifications...like '5 years experience in network administration'.
    >>
    >>Good luck.
    >>

    >Thanks again for the info. I've got a couple of part-time businesses
    >which keep me going. I still would like to get certified though.
    >
    >I know you have to pay a fee to take the tests, I'm wondering if you
    >can get the required study materials at low cost or no cost from
    >libraries etc? Has anyone successfully done this?

    Why does somebody else's success matter to you?

    Just DO it!

    Have a nice one...

    Trent©

    Trent©, Dec 21, 2004
  8. >Any suggestions or recommendations for
    >how to do this efficiently?

    ye... DONT!
    MCSE is worth less than used toilet paper; as is your BS in CIS and $50k
    tuition with all these Indians coming in.
    Developwebsites, Dec 22, 2004
  9. Beachcomber

    Guest

    Beachcomber wrote:
    > >Hire yourself!
    > >
    > >Actually, a lot of the small companies are contracting a lot of

    their
    > >work out. This might be a good/forced opportunity to go out on your
    > >own...especially if you can keep your prime occupation goin' at the
    > >same time.
    > >
    > >Make sure you make up a business card that brings out your degrees

    and
    > >qualifications...like '5 years experience in network

    administration'.

    > >Good luck.
    > >

    > Thanks again for the info. I've got a couple of part-time businesses
    > which keep me going. I still would like to get certified though.
    >
    > I know you have to pay a fee to take the tests, I'm wondering if you
    > can get the required study materials at low cost or no cost from
    > libraries etc? Has anyone successfully done this?
    >
    > Beachcomber

    I looked up about this a while back. There are standard books people
    use.
    Like a book by Mike Myers. Of the places that do it, check that they
    are listed on MS's site. Some have a 'Gold cerificate' from MS or an MS
    Partnership thing.
    , Dec 26, 2004