    My son is now interested in becoming a PC Repair Technician. My question is -
    would a MCP certificate benefit him more than a CompTIA A+ certificate? If
    so, what are the advantage(s)?

    visuals4u, Sep 23, 2009

  2. visuals4u

    Brian Guest

    In fairness he'd need both

    The Comptia A+ will give your son the advice and knowledge of what
    components do each function and what go where, how to install these and so
    on, the microsoft ones only cover the microsoft software (support &
    deployment of xp etc). depending on where you are, i'm in the uk, most local
    colleges do night classes for a few quid, or he can look on the microsoft
    learning pages for the microsoft text books for example 70-270 and self study
    to save money. if self studying he can book through prometric himself,
    microsoft exams cost £88 and i think comtia a+ was £125 last i checked. (some
    colleges include exams in courses so check if applying/paying!! save getting
    stung later)

    i self studied in this order

    A+
    mcp 70-271
    mcp 70-272 (mcdst acredation gained)
    mcp 70-270

    and now i'm doing the server 2003 70-290

    hope this helps.

    by the way a friend of mine has decided to start this career path too and
    i've advised him to do a+ and 70-270 first, able to gain an entry level job
    with these and gain knowledge and experience to further studies (but ya never
    stop learning ha ha).

    Anything else feel free to ask

    Brian, Sep 23, 2009