    The real question is, 'Is Microsoft capable of honesty?' And if you decide -
    as I have - that they are not, the next question becomes, 'Do I really want
    to do business with, to trust my business to, a company like that?'"
    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Apr 17, 2006

  2. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Mon, 17 Apr 2006 13:17:41 +1200, Have A Nice Cup of Tea <>
    exclaimed:

    >http://www.securityfocus.com/archive/1/431027/30/0/threaded
    >
    >"The fact that only one of these three nearly-identical names fails is all
    >the evidence it takes to convince me that this is deliberate sabotage by
    >Microsoft of the resolver's standard functionality."
    >
    >And you still trust Micro$oft eh???

    Well, that dude is about as naive as you. His post shows the same lack
    of knowledge as most of yours.

    go.microsoft.com is NOT the link used to check for updates for WMP -
    it is a generic redirection URL (the particular link takes you to the
    page to manually update WMP, and is NOT the URL used for checking for
    updates).

    The HOSTS file should be bypassed in this situation, to stop spyware
    preventing updates. (a common trick).

    This moron shouldn't be using the HOSTS file to block URLs anyway.
    That's a cheap hack, and he should be using a firewall instead. I
    guess he's probably a Linux geek, and cheap hacks are the way you do
    things in OSS.

    As an aside, I wonder if the idiot tried bypassing
    www.go.microsoft.akadns.net, which is obviously what the go. links to.
    Fred Dagg, Apr 17, 2006

  3. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    jimi Guest

    But Cup of Pee... I am now confused...

    The same site under Vunerabilities... I did a search on Ubuntu (I like
    Ubuntu with all the nice graphics) and it came up with nine pages of
    vunerabilities.....

    Obviously under Microsoft it came up with many more pages (Forty seven I
    think) but we all know that Microsoft is full of holes (As shown by you
    *everyday*, no matter the source).

    Linux does not have vunerabilites does it??? Please help me out here my
    world is falling apart...

    Also, doesn't Microsoft have more products than Ubuntu?

    Yawn.....

    jimi, Apr 17, 2006
  4. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Hogbreath Guest

    jimi wrote:
    > But Cup of Pee... I am now confused...
    >
    > The same site under Vunerabilities... I did a search on Ubuntu (I like
    > Ubuntu with all the nice graphics) and it came up with nine pages of
    > vunerabilities.....
    >
    > Obviously under Microsoft it came up with many more pages (Forty seven I
    > think) but we all know that Microsoft is full of holes (As shown by you
    > *everyday*, no matter the source).
    >
    > Linux does not have vunerabilites does it??? Please help me out here my
    > world is falling apart...

    Yes Linux does have vunerabilites, though most are not as fatally stupid
    as some of Microsofts. They are also fixed a lot faster.
    They don't require the endless reboots that Windows machines require
    after patches are applied.

    > Also, doesn't Microsoft have more products than Ubuntu?

    I'd say no. UBuntu bundles many hundreds of free applications that
    accompany most Linux distributions. Those nine pages would be for the
    ENTIRE set.
    Lets face it, for most people windows is fine, it has a pretty interface
    and easy to use applications, hell I even use it myself when I have to.
    It has a long way to go before it even gets close to the proven
    reliabity of a UNIX (like) OS. Windows and UNIX/Linux come from two
    entirely different origins. -:)

    After all the FUD shit that MS has thrown at Linux you can't honestly
    expect us to say nothing - do you?
    Hogbreath, Apr 17, 2006
  5. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    thingy Guest

    jimi wrote:
    > But Cup of Pee... I am now confused...
    >
    > The same site under Vunerabilities... I did a search on Ubuntu (I like
    > Ubuntu with all the nice graphics) and it came up with nine pages of
    > vunerabilities.....
    >
    > Obviously under Microsoft it came up with many more pages (Forty seven I
    > think) but we all know that Microsoft is full of holes (As shown by you
    > *everyday*, no matter the source).
    >
    > Linux does not have vunerabilites does it??? Please help me out here my
    > world is falling apart...
    >
    > Also, doesn't Microsoft have more products than Ubuntu?
    >
    > Yawn.....

    No.

    regards

    Thing

    > "Fred Dagg" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>On Mon, 17 Apr 2006 13:17:41 +1200, Have A Nice Cup of Tea <>
    >>exclaimed:
    >>

    >>>http://www.securityfocus.com/archive/1/431027/30/0/threaded
    >>>
    >>>"The fact that only one of these three nearly-identical names fails is all
    >>>the evidence it takes to convince me that this is deliberate sabotage by
    >>>Microsoft of the resolver's standard functionality."
    >>>
    >>>And you still trust Micro$oft eh???

    >>Well, that dude is about as naive as you. His post shows the same lack
    >>of knowledge as most of yours.
    >>
    >>go.microsoft.com is NOT the link used to check for updates for WMP -
    >>it is a generic redirection URL (the particular link takes you to the
    >>page to manually update WMP, and is NOT the URL used for checking for
    >>updates).
    >>
    >>The HOSTS file should be bypassed in this situation, to stop spyware
    >>preventing updates. (a common trick).

    uh right....if your OS suffers from spyware, and viruses making this
    crappy hack needed of course....

    >>This moron shouldn't be using the HOSTS file to block URLs anyway.
    >>That's a cheap hack, and he should be using a firewall instead. I
    >>guess he's probably a Linux geek, and cheap hacks are the way you do
    >>things in OSS.

    Hosts file is the original and a common and needed part of name
    resolution. If MS's security was good enough to stop spyware
    re-directing the OS then MS would not need to do nasty cheap hack to
    bypass part of the system.....

    Since MS is New Technology, I wonder why they even need a hosts
    file....wonder why theydidnt event anything better....it's soooo great
    of course.....yeah right....

    thingy, Apr 17, 2006