Microsoft buys Firefox??

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Flintstone, Oct 29, 2006.

  1. Flintstone

    Flintstone Guest

    Flintstone, Oct 29, 2006

  2. Flintstone

    thingy Guest

    Flintstone wrote:
    > http://www.msfirefox.com/
    >

    > Got the link from another site.

    lol....cant be a MS site....it worked in Mozilla...

    ;]

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, Oct 30, 2006

  3. Flintstone

    GraB Guest

    On Mon, 30 Oct 2006 12:54:45 +1300, Flintstone
    <> wrote:

    >http://www.msfirefox.com/
    >

    >Got the link from another site.

    Very good.

    The following bare minimums are essential for the optimum operation of
    MS Firefox 2007

    * A Credit Card

    * Microsoft(R) Windows(TM)/Vista Operating System

    * Microsoft(R) Mouse & Keyboard (Hyperlinks will NOT work without
    these)

    * Live(TM) Messenger (Required API to maintain dangerous CPU
    temperatures)

    * Microsoft(R) Office 2007 (Provides the ability to scroll
    webpages)

    * Quad Core Processor (For loading Hotmail.com)

    * Any SLI Configured Graphics Card > 512mb (TO Display High
    Definition GIF Images)

    * 1024 MB of RAM (Compensation for Frequent Memory Leaks)

    * 483MB Disk Space
    GraB, Oct 30, 2006
  4. Flintstone

    thingy Guest

    GraB wrote:
    > On Mon, 30 Oct 2006 12:54:45 +1300, Flintstone
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> http://www.msfirefox.com/
    >>

    >> Got the link from another site.

    > Very good.
    >
    > The following bare minimums are essential for the optimum operation of
    > MS Firefox 2007
    >
    > * A Credit Card
    >
    > * Microsoft(R) Windows(TM)/Vista Operating System

    It always annoys me when most games makers will make the game for as
    wide a range of MS OSes as practical, yet MS usually makes their games
    only playable in their current OS, Age of Empires 3, Dungeon Siege 2,
    Halo (Vista only?) as just three examples hence while the bullet point
    is a bit tongue in cheek it is actually true to form.

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, Oct 30, 2006
  5. Flintstone

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Mon, 30 Oct 2006 16:21:33 +1300, GraB <> wrote:

    >On Mon, 30 Oct 2006 12:54:45 +1300, Flintstone
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>http://www.msfirefox.com/
    >>

    >>Got the link from another site.

    >Very good.
    >
    >The following bare minimums are essential for the optimum operation of
    >MS Firefox 2007

    I thought the porn bit was funnier. Also the make a donation part was good too!
    Craig Shore, Oct 30, 2006
  6. Flintstone

    MaHogany Guest

    On Mon, 30 Oct 2006 12:54:45 +1300, Flintstone wrote:

    > http://www.msfirefox.com/
    >

    > Got the link from another site.

    Excellent!

    Ma Hogany

    --
    "The average user doesn't know what he wants. The average user wants
    fries with that, if prompted."
    MaHogany, Oct 30, 2006
  7. Flintstone

    MaHogany Guest

    On Mon, 30 Oct 2006 16:41:31 +1300, thingy wrote:

    > It always annoys me when most games makers will make the game for as
    > wide a range of MS OSes as practical, yet MS usually makes their games
    > only playable in their current OS, Age of Empires 3, Dungeon Siege 2,
    > Halo (Vista only?) as just three examples hence while the bullet point
    > is a bit tongue in cheek it is actually true to form.

    MS is not in the business of selling software it is in the business of
    making money, and if it makes more money by forcing people to buy another
    and another and another version of M$ Windows... not to mention all the
    other M$ software that won't work with the "upgraded" version of M$
    Windows...

    Ma Hogany

    MaHogany, Oct 30, 2006
  8. In <> thingy wrote:

    > It always annoys me when most games makers will make the game for as
    > wide a range of MS OSes as practical, yet MS usually makes their games
    > only playable in their current OS, Age of Empires 3, Dungeon Siege 2,
    > Halo (Vista only?) as just three examples hence while the bullet point
    > is a bit tongue in cheek it is actually true to form.

    To be fair Microsoft's current OS is five years old now! If your PC
    didn't come with XP it probably means it's far too old to play those
    games.

    --
    * Roger Johnstone, Invercargill, New Zealand -> http://roger.geek.nz
    * PS/2 Mouse Adapter for vintage Apple II or Mac
    Roger Johnstone, Oct 30, 2006
  9. In <ei3eu0$fms$> Flintstone wrote:
    > http://www.msfirefox.com/
    >

    > Got the link from another site.

    Drat.

    "Site off-line
    Lawsuit in progress...stay tuned - Steve Allen"

    This post on Crazy Apple Rumors Site is pretty funny though:

    Jobs Announces Firefox 2.0

    After its early release yesterday, Apple CEO Steve Jobs held a hasty
    press conference this morning to announce Firefox 2.0.
    Which struck the technology world as unusual as Apple does not make
    Firefox.
    "Firefox 2.0 is the best browser for the Mac," Jobs said. "And here?s
    why.
    "It?s standards-driven, stable and faster than lightning. It?s my new
    browser of choice for OS X."
    Drawing nothing but blank, confused stares from the gathered members of
    the media, Jobs added "I went straight from Internet Explorer to Firefox.
    "
    Jobs then denied ever having heard the word "Safari" before, including
    in its African context.
    Listening to a webcast of Jobs? presentation, lead Firefox developer Ben
    Goodger asked "What the hell is he talking about?"
    Realization suddenly coming over Goodger?s face, he cried "Hey? hey? HEY!
    He? he?s stealing our project!"

    more...

    http://www.crazyapplerumors.com/?p=708

    Roger Johnstone, Oct 30, 2006
  10. Flintstone

    thingy Guest

    Roger Johnstone wrote:
    > In <> thingy wrote:
    >
    >> It always annoys me when most games makers will make the game for as
    >> wide a range of MS OSes as practical, yet MS usually makes their games
    >> only playable in their current OS, Age of Empires 3, Dungeon Siege 2,
    >> Halo (Vista only?) as just three examples hence while the bullet point
    >> is a bit tongue in cheek it is actually true to form.

    > To be fair Microsoft's current OS is five years old now! If your PC
    > didn't come with XP it probably means it's far too old to play those
    > games.

    Yes and no....I could upgrade the motherboard, cpu and ram for less than
    $900 and have a great system still running win2k....trouble is I need
    to spend $250 odd on a OEM of XP to play newer games....

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, Oct 30, 2006
  11. In message <4545b440$>, thingy wrote:

    > Roger Johnstone wrote:
    >> In <> thingy wrote:
    >>
    >>> It always annoys me when most games makers will make the game for as
    >>> wide a range of MS OSes as practical, yet MS usually makes their games
    >>> only playable in their current OS, Age of Empires 3, Dungeon Siege 2,
    >>> Halo (Vista only?) as just three examples hence while the bullet point
    >>> is a bit tongue in cheek it is actually true to form.

    >> To be fair Microsoft's current OS is five years old now! If your PC
    >> didn't come with XP it probably means it's far too old to play those
    >> games.
    >>

    > Yes and no....I could upgrade the motherboard, cpu and ram for less than
    > $900 and have a great system still running win2k....

    And if you were running XP over such a process, you would need to call up
    some Microsoft drone afterwards and convince them that your copy of XP is
    indeed legitimate and could they please give you a new activation code...
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 30, 2006
  12. Flintstone

    juicyjuice Guest

    juicyjuice, Oct 30, 2006
  13. Flintstone

    GraB Guest

    On 30 Oct 2006 07:41:21 GMT, Roger Johnstone
    <> wrote:

    >In <ei3eu0$fms$> Flintstone wrote:
    >> http://www.msfirefox.com/
    >>

    >> Got the link from another site.

    >Drat.
    >
    >"Site off-line
    >Lawsuit in progress...stay tuned - Steve Allen"

    It now says:

    Lawsuit in progress...stay tuned - Steve Ballmer
    GraB, Oct 30, 2006
  14. Flintstone

    GraB Guest

    On Mon, 30 Oct 2006 23:34:22 +1300, GraB <> wrote:

    >On 30 Oct 2006 07:41:21 GMT, Roger Johnstone
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>In <ei3eu0$fms$> Flintstone wrote:
    >>> http://www.msfirefox.com/
    >>>

    >>> Got the link from another site.

    >>Drat.
    >>
    >>"Site off-line
    >>Lawsuit in progress...stay tuned - Steve Allen"
    >>

    >It now says:
    >
    >Lawsuit in progress...stay tuned - Steve Ballmer

    So you know who he is:

    http://www.ntk.net/media/dancemonkeyboy.mpg
    GraB, Oct 30, 2006
  15. T'was the Mon, 30 Oct 2006 16:41:31 +1300 when I remembered thingy
    <> saying something like this:

    >It always annoys me when most games makers will make the game for as
    >wide a range of MS OSes as practical, yet MS usually makes their games
    >only playable in their current OS, Age of Empires 3, Dungeon Siege 2,
    >Halo (Vista only?) as just three examples hence while the bullet point
    >is a bit tongue in cheek it is actually true to form.

    I'm a little disappointed that Halo Wars is just for the Xbox 360, I'd
    like to play it on the PC, but I'm still looking forward to the game.
    --
    Cheers,

    Waylon Kenning.
    Waylon Kenning, Oct 30, 2006
  16. Flintstone

    thingy Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In message <4545b440$>, thingy wrote:
    >
    >> Roger Johnstone wrote:

    >>> To be fair Microsoft's current OS is five years old now! If your PC
    >>> didn't come with XP it probably means it's far too old to play those
    >>> games.
    >>>

    >> Yes and no....I could upgrade the motherboard, cpu and ram for less than
    >> $900 and have a great system still running win2k....

    > And if you were running XP over such a process, you would need to call up
    > some Microsoft drone afterwards and convince them that your copy of XP is
    > indeed legitimate and could they please give you a new activation code...

    I would be buying a XP OEM with the new guts of the system so it would
    be a fresh install but for games only. I'd keep win2k for old windows
    apps (no way am I paying thousands to update perfectly good but little
    used apps) and Linux for most things.......of course what happens in say
    3 or 4 years time when I did another upgrade? If I ring up what is
    stopping MS saying sorry too old we wont give you a new code....you have
    to buy Vista2....

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, Oct 30, 2006
  17. Flintstone

    Philip Guest

    MaHogany wrote:
    > On Mon, 30 Oct 2006 16:41:31 +1300, thingy wrote:
    >
    >> It always annoys me when most games makers will make the game for as
    >> wide a range of MS OSes as practical, yet MS usually makes their games
    >> only playable in their current OS, Age of Empires 3, Dungeon Siege 2,
    >> Halo (Vista only?) as just three examples hence while the bullet point
    >> is a bit tongue in cheek it is actually true to form.

    > MS is not in the business of selling software it is in the business of
    > making money, and if it makes more money by forcing people to buy another
    > and another and another version of M$ Windows... not to mention all the
    > other M$ software that won't work with the "upgraded" version of M$
    > Windows...
    >

    > Ma Hogany

    "Force" is a bit strong. MS says to its users "if you want to run that,
    then you need to get this".

    You have the choice not to run that, you have the choice to run an older
    version of that, you have the choice to run a similar program called
    'not_that', you have the choice to run a FOSSWare called TvTINT (This
    version of That is not That).

    MS persuades, cajoles, tries to lock you in, annoys, but as far as I can
    recall has never forced me to do anything.

    Philip
    Philip, Oct 31, 2006
  18. In <> GraB wrote:
    > On Mon, 30 Oct 2006 23:34:22 +1300, GraB <> wrote:
    >
    >>On 30 Oct 2006 07:41:21 GMT, Roger Johnstone
    >><> wrote:

    >>>Drat.
    >>>
    >>>"Site off-line
    >>>Lawsuit in progress...stay tuned - Steve Allen"
    >>>

    >>It now says:
    >>
    >>Lawsuit in progress...stay tuned - Steve Ballmer
    >>

    > So you know who he is:
    >
    > http://www.ntk.net/media/dancemonkeyboy.mpg

    God no! I've seen that video before. Once is enough :eek:)

    Roger Johnstone, Oct 31, 2006
  19. Flintstone

    Flintstone Guest

    GraB wrote:
    > On 30 Oct 2006 07:41:21 GMT, Roger Johnstone
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> In <ei3eu0$fms$> Flintstone wrote:
    >>> http://www.msfirefox.com/
    >>>

    >>> Got the link from another site.

    >> Drat.
    >>
    >> "Site off-line
    >> Lawsuit in progress...stay tuned - Steve Allen"
    >>

    > It now says:
    >
    > Lawsuit in progress...stay tuned - Steve Ballmer

    Its now back to what it was.
    Flintstone, Oct 31, 2006
  20. Flintstone

    MaHogany Guest

    On Tue, 31 Oct 2006 18:00:06 +1300, Philip wrote:

    > MS persuades, cajoles, tries to lock you in, annoys, but as far as I can
    > recall has never forced me to do anything.

    Lock-in is tantamount to forcing someone to do something.

    Ma Hogany

    MaHogany, Oct 31, 2006