    LAN terminology and how a computer works. I don't have any hands on network
    experience. I don't have time for classes and the online courses are
    expensive. How much of a disadvantage is using the books only?
    =?Utf-8?B?QnJpYW4gTA==?=, Jan 21, 2007

  2. Brian L wrote:
    > Is it feasible for someone with a technincal background (not deep in
    > computers) to obtain MCSE using only the books to prepare and study? I know
    > LAN terminology and how a computer works. I don't have any hands on network
    > experience. I don't have time for classes and the online courses are
    > expensive. How much of a disadvantage is using the books only?

    Yes, but don't. Get hands-on experience even it is all using Virtual
    Server or VMware.
    Jonathan Roberts, Jan 21, 2007

  3. Do you mean the Microsoft e-learning? Or is there another product?

    =?Utf-8?B?QnJpYW4gTA==?=, Jan 21, 2007
  4. Brian L wrote:
    > Do you mean the Microsoft e-learning? Or is there another product?
    >
    > "Jonathan Roberts" wrote:
    >
    >> Brian L wrote:
    >>> Is it feasible for someone with a technincal background (not deep in
    >>> computers) to obtain MCSE using only the books to prepare and study? I know
    >>> LAN terminology and how a computer works. I don't have any hands on network
    >>> experience. I don't have time for classes and the online courses are
    >>> expensive. How much of a disadvantage is using the books only?

    >> Yes, but don't. Get hands-on experience even it is all using Virtual
    >> Server or VMware.

    Brian,

    It is another product. Virtual Server/VMware/etc allow you to run
    virtual machines (virtual OS installations basically) from within one PC
    or server. There are resource requirements so that will be something
    for you to consider. It is often easier to do this then setup a network
    in your home office! Also, Microsoft has released virtual hard drives
    (VHD's) of many of the popular server platforms (Windows Server 2003,
    Exchange and SQL Server to name a few). I would suggest you at least
    consider this route. Another good option is to setup a small network
    with low-end machines from a surplus store or ebay.

    Jonathan
    Jonathan Roberts, Jan 21, 2007
  5. Thanks, Jonathan! So this is a good companion to the books. Where do I get it?

    =?Utf-8?B?QnJpYW4gTA==?=, Jan 21, 2007
  6. Jonathan Roberts, Jan 21, 2007