Microsoft becoming a gangster? or maybe a common mugger....whichis worse I wonder.....

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Matthew Poole, Apr 28, 2005.

  1. In article <>, thing <> wrote:
    >http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php/id;666763804;fp;2;fpid;1

    *SNIP*
    >So if you cant win or keep customers with the price and quality of your
    >product(s) sue them.....just watch SCO for the effectiveness of this
    >tactic......

    Hey, they got some money out of it. Including seven figures from one
    company - who were promptly berated into submission by the OSS
    community, to the point that they admitted it had been a very silly
    thing to do.

    >At what point I wonder will CEOs, CIOs and CFOs get sick of being done
    >over....

    CEOs and CFOs just sign the cheques. The culprits are CIOs and CTOs who
    fail to fully understand the environment. Corporate counsel should also
    be shouldering some of the blame, since it's their job to actually
    evaluate such legal stick-waving. However, if the I and T guys don't
    let legal know that they've been threatened, it becomes a bit difficult
    for legal to actually do anything - lawyers are sharks, not omnipresent.

    --
    Matthew Poole
    "Veni, vidi, velcro...

    My real e-mail is mattATp00leDOTnet
    Matthew Poole, Apr 28, 2005

  2. Matthew Poole

    thing Guest

    http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php/id;666763804;fp;2;fpid;1

    ".........Sudden avalanches of monopoly lawyers descending on
    unsuspecting customer executives to warn them about the patent trouble
    they are about to get into if they don't pay royalties for free software
    has been going on at an enhanced rate for 12 months.

    "The victims of such 'muggings' don't like to come forward. They don't
    tell the press, or us."

    Moglen said some organizations prefer to pay royalties to the monopoly
    rather than challenge the threats.

    "Everyone who starts paying tribute to the monopoly for the use of your
    code encourages others to fall in line," he said, adding that he had
    travelled to Redmond and "threatened them on your behalf" and is
    confident such threats are being heard........"

    So if you cant win or keep customers with the price and quality of your
    product(s) sue them.....just watch SCO for the effectiveness of this
    tactic......

    At what point I wonder will CEOs, CIOs and CFOs get sick of being done
    over....

    regards

    Thing
    thing, Apr 29, 2005

  3. Matthew Poole

    steve Guest

    Re: Microsoft becoming a gangster? or maybe a common mugger....which is worse I wonder.....

    thing wrote:

    > So if you cant win or keep customers with the price and quality of your
    > product(s) sue them.....just watch SCO for the effectiveness of this
    > tactic......
    >
    > At what point I wonder will CEOs, CIOs and CFOs get sick of being done
    > over....
    >
    > regards
    >
    > Thing

    This might explain why Microsoft has been filing all those silly patents for
    stuff that has been around for years before they even existed.

    You have to take them to court to prove several hundred patents are
    bogus....and the mega-billions corporation will win any war of attrition on
    legal costs alone.

    It's piracy.....and you find parallels like it in the US going back to the
    robber barons who used to run the railways in the 1800s.

    These transport monopolists were a law unto themselves and they owned vast
    numbers of politicians, judges and often the police, too. Killing their
    opponents wasn't a problem for them.
    steve, Apr 29, 2005
  4. Re: Microsoft becoming a gangster? or maybe a common mugger....which is worse I wonder.....

    In article <d4rr1d$qbq$>,
    (Matthew Poole) wrote:

    >CEOs and CFOs just sign the cheques. The culprits are CIOs and CTOs who
    >fail to fully understand the environment.

    Do any of them have CLOs (Chief Legal Officers)?
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Apr 29, 2005
  5. Matthew Poole

    Mutlley Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:

    >In article <d4rr1d$qbq$>,
    > (Matthew Poole) wrote:
    >
    >>CEOs and CFOs just sign the cheques. The culprits are CIOs and CTOs who
    >>fail to fully understand the environment.

    >Do any of them have CLOs (Chief Legal Officers)?

    It's called the US Justice Department and Congress
    Mutlley, May 1, 2005