    <http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2008/02/22/mac-office-2008-update-promised-soon-at-expense-of-open-xml>.

    If OOXML is such a vital part of their interoperability strategy, why aren't
    they devoting more attention to it?
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Feb 22, 2008

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    peterwn Guest

    On Feb 23, 12:39 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    > Interesting that they're taking their time bringing out converters for
    > Office 2004
    > <http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2008/02/22/mac-office-2008-...>.
    >
    > If OOXML (ie the proposed standard) is such a vital part of their interoperability strategy, why aren't
    > they devoting more attention to it?

    The problem as I see it is that OOXML has interoperability with
    nothing, not even Office 2007, and will never have.

    What Geoff Price, product unit manager for Microsoft's Macintosh
    Business Unit, really meant to say was that Mac Office 2008 will not
    have interoperability with the new Windows Office 2007 formats
    (ie .docx, .xlsx, etc) until late June 2008. Mac Office 2008 will
    never have interoperability with OOXML, ever, nor will Windows Office
    20xx (where xx>08). Simply put, OOXML != .docx etc.

    As far as I can see OOXML as a standard has only one benefit. It will
    enable Microsoft, hardware OEM manufacturers, etc to say that OOXML is
    a recognised international standard and hence complies with any
    tendering or procurement specifications requiring international
    standards format. Skilled IT professionals will immediately recognise
    the fallacy of the logic, but it may be sufficient to pull the wool
    over the eyes of politicians (eg in Massachusetts), beancounters,
    glorified clerks, bribe-takers, etc who may be involved in some
    clients' procurement processes.
    peterwn, Feb 23, 2008

  3. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Gordon Guest

    On 2008-02-22, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:
    > Interesting that they're taking their time bringing out converters for
    > Office 2004
    ><http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2008/02/22/mac-office-2008-update-promised-soon-at-expense-of-open-xml>.
    >
    > If OOXML is such a vital part of their interoperability strategy, why aren't
    > they devoting more attention to it?

    Look for history's sake. What features of VISTA, the desktop king, did not
    arrive to date?

    MS now has to live in a very different world. One with other players on the
    field. Some of them wish to play for the game, not money.

    Yes, I have not read the link. Who cares, I just wanted to respond. ;-
    Gordon, Feb 24, 2008
  4. Commentary by Jeremy "Samba" Allison:
    <http://news.zdnet.com/2424-9595_22-189389.html>. Looks like Microsoft
    isn't addressing a single one of the objections that would necessitate
    backward-incompatible changes to OOXML.

    Less and less reason for those countries that voted "no" the first time to
    change their vote...?
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Feb 26, 2008
  5. In article <fq0gu9$mpg$>, Lawrence D'Oliveiro did write:

    > Less and less reason for those countries that voted "no" the first time to
    > change their vote...?

    Result from the Ballot Resolution Meeting: too many things wrong with the
    spec, not enough time to address them
    <http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080302-xml-spec-editor-ooxml-iso-process-is-unadulterated-bs.html>.

    Looks like fast-track approval is dead in the water...
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Mar 3, 2008