Microsoft aquired Winternals

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by bAZZ, Jul 19, 2006.

  1. bAZZ

    bAZZ Guest

    Microsoft has aquired Winternals and Sysinternals.

    http://www.winternals.com/Faq.aspx

    They've already changed the EULAs for most of the utilities there, too.
    ****. That's one more independent setup gone for good.

    Too late to see it in vista ? Be good if so.

    See Ya

    bAZZ .. >>
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If you try me, you'll buy me
    If you buy me, you'll use me
    If you use me, you'll abuse me
    If you abuse me, I'll own you.

    bAZZ, Jul 19, 2006

  2. T'was the Wed, 19 Jul 2006 18:06:11 +1200 when I remembered bAZZ
    <> saying something like this:

    >They've already changed the EULAs for most of the utilities there, too.
    >****. That's one more independent setup gone for good.

    I remember when Macromedia bought Camstudio. They then bloated up the
    program (from ~2MB to ~14MB), didn't add any new functionality, and
    put splash and nag screens and forced registration everywhere! I
    believe they integrated Camstudio's functionality into Robodemo, which
    is now Captivate I think? I forget.

    Luckily, Camstudio was open source before being bought, so now you can
    get the original version from http://www.camstudio.org. So that's a
    plus for open source. Sadly, there's a lack of development even though
    there's great demand because I guess a lot of programmers aren't
    interested in the particular software product.

    And before linux_guy jumps in and starts saying that I should start
    programming if I like it so much, guys who build bridges shouldn't
    judge others:)
    --
    Cheers,

    Waylon Kenning.

    Waylon Kenning, Jul 19, 2006

  3. Waylon Kenning wrote:
    > T'was the Wed, 19 Jul 2006 18:06:11 +1200 when I remembered bAZZ
    > <> saying something like this:
    >
    >> They've already changed the EULAs for most of the utilities there, too.
    >> ****. That's one more independent setup gone for good.

    > I remember when Macromedia bought Camstudio. They then bloated up the
    > program (from ~2MB to ~14MB), didn't add any new functionality, and
    > put splash and nag screens and forced registration everywhere! I
    > believe they integrated Camstudio's functionality into Robodemo, which
    > is now Captivate I think? I forget.
    >
    > Luckily, Camstudio was open source before being bought, so now you can
    > get the original version from http://www.camstudio.org. So that's a
    > plus for open source. Sadly, there's a lack of development even though
    > there's great demand because I guess a lot of programmers aren't
    > interested in the particular software product.
    >
    > And before linux_guy jumps in and starts saying that I should start
    > programming if I like it so much, guys who build bridges shouldn't
    > judge others:)

    CamStudio looks like brilliant software. Open Source too. Thankyou for
    posting that link and info.

    Komrade Klark, Jul 20, 2006
  4. bAZZ

    bambam Guest

    bAZZ <> wrote in news:1153302932.789466@ftpsrv1:

    > Microsoft has aquired Winternals and Sysinternals.
    >
    > http://www.winternals.com/Faq.aspx
    >
    > They've already changed the EULAs for most of the utilities there, too.
    > ****. That's one more independent setup gone for good.
    >
    > Too late to see it in vista ? Be good if so.

    There are a few torrents, with all the Sysinternals apps zipped up into a
    nice package available. About 20MB, worth a quick download.

    --
    Always tell the truth. That way, you don't have to remember what you said.

    Mark Twain

    bambam, Jul 20, 2006
  5. In article <e9nn2o$do1$>, says...

    > > Microsoft has aquired Winternals and Sysinternals.
    > >
    > > http://www.winternals.com/Faq.aspx
    > >
    > > They've already changed the EULAs for most of the utilities there, too.
    > > ****. That's one more independent setup gone for good.
    > >
    > > Too late to see it in vista ? Be good if so.

    > There are a few torrents, with all the Sysinternals apps zipped up into a
    > nice package available. About 20MB, worth a quick download.

    Has there been an update, say, in the last 6 months? I used to update them
    regularly but this has taken me by surprise.

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Jul 20, 2006
  6. bAZZ

    Mark C Guest

    bambam <> wrote in

    > bAZZ <> wrote in
    >
    >> Microsoft has aquired Winternals and Sysinternals.
    >>
    >> http://www.winternals.com/Faq.aspx
    >>
    >> They've already changed the EULAs for most of the utilities
    >> there, too. ****. That's one more independent setup gone for
    >> good.
    >>
    >> Too late to see it in vista ? Be good if so.

    > There are a few torrents, with all the Sysinternals apps zipped
    > up into a nice package available. About 20MB, worth a quick
    > download.

    Zipped up here:
    http://www.grc.com/groups/test:30830

    Mark C, Jul 20, 2006
  7. bAZZ

    ~misfit~ Guest

    bambam wrote:
    > bAZZ <> wrote in news:1153302932.789466@ftpsrv1:
    >

    > > Microsoft has aquired Winternals and Sysinternals.
    > >
    > > http://www.winternals.com/Faq.aspx
    > >
    > > They've already changed the EULAs for most of the utilities there,
    > > too. ****. That's one more independent setup gone for good.
    > >
    > > Too late to see it in vista ? Be good if so.

    > There are a few torrents, with all the Sysinternals apps zipped up
    > into a nice package available. About 20MB, worth a quick download.

    Except that that link only downloads a text file now that starts:

    "What happened to all the files?

    During the 24-hours that the SysInternals site was struggling under the
    rush of people wanting to grab all of its goodies before they (possibly)
    disappeared forever following Microsoft's acquisition of Mark and Bryce,
    this file briefly contained all of the files listed below. But the guys
    now have their site hosted on a much faster connection and hardware, so
    there's no longer any need for file mirroring. If you want to grab every
    file from their "files" directory, the links below will help you ..."

    Followed by all the individual links rather than a nice, neat package.

    Thanks anyway. :)
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Jul 21, 2006
  8. bAZZ

    Invisible Guest

    On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 12:51:19 +1200, "~misfit~" <>
    wrote:

    >bambam wrote:
    >> bAZZ <> wrote in news:1153302932.789466@ftpsrv1:
    >>

    >> > Microsoft has aquired Winternals and Sysinternals.
    >> >
    >> > http://www.winternals.com/Faq.aspx
    >> >
    >> > They've already changed the EULAs for most of the utilities there,
    >> > too. ****. That's one more independent setup gone for good.
    >> >
    >> > Too late to see it in vista ? Be good if so.

    >> There are a few torrents, with all the Sysinternals apps zipped up
    >> into a nice package available. About 20MB, worth a quick download.

    >Except that that link only downloads a text file now that starts:
    >
    >"What happened to all the files?
    >
    >During the 24-hours that the SysInternals site was struggling under the
    >rush of people wanting to grab all of its goodies before they (possibly)
    >disappeared forever following Microsoft's acquisition of Mark and Bryce,
    >this file briefly contained all of the files listed below. But the guys
    >now have their site hosted on a much faster connection and hardware, so
    >there's no longer any need for file mirroring. If you want to grab every
    >file from their "files" directory, the links below will help you ..."
    >
    >Followed by all the individual links rather than a nice, neat package.
    >
    >Thanks anyway. :)

    I imported/queued 'em all up in a download manager :)

    Invisible, Jul 21, 2006
  9. bAZZ

    -=rjh=- Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > bambam wrote:
    >> bAZZ <> wrote in news:1153302932.789466@ftpsrv1:
    >>

    >>> Microsoft has aquired Winternals and Sysinternals.
    >>>
    >>> http://www.winternals.com/Faq.aspx
    >>>
    >>> They've already changed the EULAs for most of the utilities there,
    >>> too. ****. That's one more independent setup gone for good.
    >>>
    >>> Too late to see it in vista ? Be good if so.

    >> There are a few torrents, with all the Sysinternals apps zipped up
    >> into a nice package available. About 20MB, worth a quick download.

    > Except that that link only downloads a text file now that starts:
    >
    > "What happened to all the files?
    >
    > During the 24-hours that the SysInternals site was struggling under the
    > rush of people wanting to grab all of its goodies before they (possibly)
    > disappeared forever following Microsoft's acquisition of Mark and Bryce,
    > this file briefly contained all of the files listed below. But the guys
    > now have their site hosted on a much faster connection and hardware, so
    > there's no longer any need for file mirroring. If you want to grab every
    > file from their "files" directory, the links below will help you ..."
    >
    > Followed by all the individual links...snip

    Which is all you need - paste that block of text into Wackget and you're
    done.

    -=rjh=-, Jul 21, 2006
  10. bAZZ

    Malcolm Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:

    > bambam wrote:
    >> bAZZ <> wrote in news:1153302932.789466@ftpsrv1:
    >>

    >> > Microsoft has aquired Winternals and Sysinternals.
    >> >
    >> > http://www.winternals.com/Faq.aspx
    >> >
    >> > They've already changed the EULAs for most of the utilities
    >> > there, too. ****. That's one more independent setup gone for
    >> > good.
    >> >
    >> > Too late to see it in vista ? Be good if so.

    >> There are a few torrents, with all the Sysinternals apps zipped up
    >> into a nice package available. About 20MB, worth a quick download.

    > Except that that link only downloads a text file now that starts:
    >
    > "What happened to all the files?
    >
    > During the 24-hours that the SysInternals site was struggling under
    > the rush of people wanting to grab all of its goodies before they
    > (possibly) disappeared forever following Microsoft's acquisition of
    > Mark and Bryce,
    > this file briefly contained all of the files listed below. But the
    > guys now have their site hosted on a much faster connection and
    > hardware, so there's no longer any need for file mirroring. If you
    > want to grab every file from their "files" directory, the links
    > below will help you ..."
    >
    > Followed by all the individual links rather than a nice, neat
    > package.
    >
    > Thanks anyway. :)

    Hi ~moshpit~
    Use wget, get rid of the blurb at the begining so you just have the
    list of url's. Then wget -i <name.of.your.list>

    --
    Cheers
    Malcolm °¿°

    Malcolm, Jul 21, 2006
  11. bAZZ

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Malcolm wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >
    > > bambam wrote:
    > > > bAZZ <> wrote in

    > > > There are a few torrents, with all the Sysinternals apps zipped up
    > > > into a nice package available. About 20MB, worth a quick download.

    > > Except that that link only downloads a text file now that starts:
    > >
    > > "What happened to all the files?
    > >
    > > During the 24-hours that the SysInternals site was struggling under
    > > the rush of people wanting to grab all of its goodies before they
    > > (possibly) disappeared forever following Microsoft's acquisition of
    > > Mark and Bryce,
    > > this file briefly contained all of the files listed below. But the
    > > guys now have their site hosted on a much faster connection and
    > > hardware, so there's no longer any need for file mirroring. If you
    > > want to grab every file from their "files" directory, the links
    > > below will help you ..."
    > >
    > > Followed by all the individual links rather than a nice, neat
    > > package.
    > >
    > > Thanks anyway. :)

    > Hi ~moshpit~

    Hey Malc-hoon. :)

    > Use wget, get rid of the blurb at the begining so you just have the
    > list of url's. Then wget -i <name.of.your.list>

    Yeah, if only I had a brain I could probably do that, Just downloaded a
    bunch of different wget compliations for Windows and...... anyway, I might
    have a glass of port.

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Jul 22, 2006
  12. bAZZ

    darkknight Guest

    On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 10:48:57 +0000 (UTC), bambam
    <> wrote:

    >bAZZ <> wrote in news:1153302932.789466@ftpsrv1:
    >

    >> Microsoft has aquired Winternals and Sysinternals.
    >>
    >> http://www.winternals.com/Faq.aspx
    >>
    >> They've already changed the EULAs for most of the utilities there, too.
    >> ****. That's one more independent setup gone for good.
    >>
    >> Too late to see it in vista ? Be good if so.

    >There are a few torrents, with all the Sysinternals apps zipped up into a
    >nice package available. About 20MB, worth a quick download.

    How do you download "torrents". The files on sys internals ftp all
    have a EULA that now says "only for evaluation and testing".

    darkknight, Jul 22, 2006