  1. I am using the Microsoft Antispyware - but every 5 mins it seems to consume
    100% of the processor - a file called GcasDTserv.exe. Is there anything I
    can do short of removing it? (I have Adaware and spybot and PC-Cillin).

    Geoff Pearson, Feb 19, 2006

  2. Geoff Pearson

    Franklin Guest

    Geoff Pearson wrote:
    > I am using the Microsoft Antispyware - but every 5 mins it seems to
    > consume 100% of the processor - a file called GcasDTserv.exe. Is
    > there anything I can do short of removing it? (I have Adaware and
    > spybot and PC-Cillin).

    Microsoft has one out called windows Defender beta 2. If you would like to
    try that.

    http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/default.mspx

    Franklin, Feb 19, 2006

  3. Geoff Pearson

    burris Guest

    Franklin wrote:
    > Geoff Pearson wrote:
    >> I am using the Microsoft Antispyware - but every 5 mins it seems to
    >> consume 100% of the processor - a file called GcasDTserv.exe. Is
    >> there anything I can do short of removing it? (I have Adaware and
    >> spybot and PC-Cillin).

    > Microsoft has one out called windows Defender beta 2. If you would like to
    > try that.
    >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/default.mspx

    I think the Windows Defender will automatically remove Windows
    AntiSpyware when you install it.

    Also, it will only install on SP2....

    burris, Feb 19, 2006
  4. Geoff Pearson

    Old Gringo Guest

    On Or About 2/19/2006 7:42:45 AM, Without Any Hesitation, Franklin
    Wrote The Following:

    > Geoff Pearson wrote:
    >> I am using the Microsoft Antispyware - but every 5 mins it seems to
    >> consume 100% of the processor - a file called GcasDTserv.exe. Is
    >> there anything I can do short of removing it? (I have Adaware and
    >> spybot and PC-Cillin).

    > Microsoft has one out called windows Defender beta 2. If you would like to
    > try that.
    >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/default.mspx

    Thank You for the link Franklin, looks like a keeper.
    --
    Old Gringo
    The Future Is Not What It Use To Be.

    Old Gringo, Feb 19, 2006
  5. Geoff Pearson

    Trax Guest

    "Geoff Pearson" <> wrote:

    |>I am using the Microsoft Antispyware - but every 5 mins it seems to consume
    |>100% of the processor - a file called GcasDTserv.exe. Is there anything I
    |>can do short of removing it? (I have Adaware and spybot and PC-Cillin).

    MS Antispyware (now bitdefender) isn't that great and the others
    should be enough -IF you also run a HOSTS file.

    The one I use: http://someonewhocares.org/hosts/
    What's a HOSTS file?: http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

    Just install a HOSTS file and disable/uninstall MS if it's giving you
    problems.

    Do you run your Spyware all the time? I might run spybot once a month,
    always clean... (Opera, HOSTS file, and ActiveX disabled).

    --
    pedestrian meets destiny
    http://homepage1.seed.net.tw/web@5/wychomepage/mygod.gif

    Trax, Feb 19, 2006
  6. Geoff Pearson

    Franklin Guest

    Old Gringo wrote:
    > On Or About 2/19/2006 7:42:45 AM, Without Any Hesitation, Franklin
    > Wrote The Following:
    >
    >> Geoff Pearson wrote:
    >>> I am using the Microsoft Antispyware - but every 5 mins it seems to
    >>> consume 100% of the processor - a file called GcasDTserv.exe. Is
    >>> there anything I can do short of removing it? (I have Adaware and
    >>> spybot and PC-Cillin).

    >> Microsoft has one out called windows Defender beta 2. If you would
    >> like to try that.
    >>
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/default.mspx

    > Thank You for the link Franklin, looks like a keeper.

    Hi,
    I dumped Norton and put IE 7.0 beta , Windows Onecare beta and Windows
    Defender beta2 and it works well for me. Also dumped msn desktop and put
    google desktop beta. So far so good.

    Franklin, Feb 19, 2006
  7. Geoff Pearson

    Trax Guest

    Trax, Feb 19, 2006
  8. Geoff Pearson

    Old Gringo Guest

    On Or About 2/19/2006 12:45:06 PM, Without Any Hesitation, Franklin
    Wrote The Following:

    > Old Gringo wrote:
    >> On Or About 2/19/2006 7:42:45 AM, Without Any Hesitation, Franklin
    >> Wrote The Following:

    >>> Microsoft has one out called windows Defender beta 2. If you would
    >>> like to try that.
    >>>
    >>> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/default.mspx

    >> Thank You for the link Franklin, looks like a keeper.

    > Hi,
    > I dumped Norton and put IE 7.0 beta , Windows Onecare beta and Windows
    > Defender beta2 and it works well for me. Also dumped msn desktop and put
    > google desktop beta. So far so good.

    Tks for the info, will check it all out.
    --
    Old Gringo
    The Future Is Not What It Use To Be.
    Freedom For The World http://www.NuBoy-Industries.com
    2/19/2006 1:20:13 PM CT USA

    Old Gringo, Feb 19, 2006
  9. Geoff Pearson

    old jon Guest

    "Old Gringo" <> wrote in message
    > On Or About 2/19/2006 12:45:06 PM, Without Any Hesitation, Franklin
    > Wrote The Following:
    >
    >> Old Gringo wrote:

    >>> Thank You for the link Franklin, looks like a keeper.

    >> Hi,
    >> I dumped Norton and put IE 7.0 beta , Windows Onecare beta and Windows
    >> Defender beta2 and it works well for me. Also dumped msn desktop and put
    >> google desktop beta. So far so good.

    > Tks for the info, will check it all out.

    Hi OG. If M$ has got IE 7 out, I think you should wait `till they bring
    out the SP2 version. 1st Tuesday every month <G>.

    --
    All the bw..OJ

    old jon, Feb 19, 2006
  10. Geoff Pearson

    Old Gringo Guest

    On Or About 2/19/2006 1:47:04 PM, Without Any Hesitation, old jon
    Wrote The Following:

    > "Old Gringo" <> wrote in message
    >> On Or About 2/19/2006 12:45:06 PM, Without Any Hesitation, Franklin
    >> Wrote The Following:

    >>> Hi,
    >>> I dumped Norton and put IE 7.0 beta , Windows Onecare beta and Windows
    >>> Defender beta2 and it works well for me. Also dumped msn desktop and put
    >>> google desktop beta. So far so good.

    >> Tks for the info, will check it all out.
    >>

    > Hi OG. If M$ has got IE 7 out, I think you should wait `till they bring
    > out the SP2 version. 1st Tuesday every month <G>.

    Hi OJ; I am having a run for the money with IE7 LOL It is sitting
    in the background somehwere on my computer and it will have to stay
    there untill something better comes along. I give it a try the day
    it was released and what a mess that turned out to be. Learned the
    lesson the hard way. The Windows Onecare doesn't seem to have much
    going for itself but the Windows Defender seems like a keeper.
    Hoping all is well in J.O.E.
    --
    Old Gringo
    The Future Is Not What It Use To Be.