    with it?

    Thanks,
    Grace

    Grace, Jul 21, 2005

  2. Grace

    baino Guest

    No, none that I'm aware of works fine on all computers on my network, also
    works fine on all my friends computers that I've installed it on. Use it in
    conjunction with either one of the following programs for best results: -
    adaware

    hijack this.

    baino

    baino, Jul 21, 2005

  3. Grace

    Mick Guest

    Grace wrote:
    > With the Microsoft AntiSpyware being in Beta form - are there any
    > problems with it?

    I have seen a PC that has the MSAS running alomost constantly at around 60%
    CPU. The whole machine was just very slow because of it, but when I killed
    it, CPU usage dropped to <5% almost immediately. Before anyone says
    anything, it was not doing a scan or anything. I have also seen several MSAS
    icons appear in the system tray of the PC (WinXP).

    I have reinstalled it twice and over the course of a few weeks it's started
    using up lots of CPU again. I don't use it anymore on that PC. Have also
    checked it with AdAware etc, but it is clean from any spyware.

    That said, I have it running on a number of other PC's without any problems
    at all.

    HTH

    Mick, Jul 21, 2005
  4. Grace

    Guest

    , Jul 21, 2005
  5. Grace

    Ron Martell Guest

    wrote:

    > "Grace" <> wrote:
    >
    >|>With the Microsoft AntiSpyware being in Beta form - are there any problems
    >|>with it?
    >|>

    >It was a very good program when released, now it can't be trusted to
    >do what it's suppose to do -protect you from spyware-.
    >
    >http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/07/07/1234217&from=rss

    The detection mechanism still recognizes these items and informs the
    user about them. It is just the default recommended action that has
    been changed to "ignore".
    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    Ron Martell, Jul 21, 2005
  6. Grace

    Ron Martell Guest

    "Grace" <> wrote:

    >With the Microsoft AntiSpyware being in Beta form - are there any problems
    >with it?
    >
    >Thanks,
    >Grace

    It is a Beta product to Microsoft. However it is based on Giant
    Antispyware, which Microsoft purchased last year. At that time Giant
    was one of the better products on the market, and the initial release
    of the Microsoft Beta was little changed from the final Giant retail
    version, except for the logos and company name.

    Independent tests have repeatedly rated the Microsoft Antispyware at
    or near the very top in terms of detection and removal.

    However a recent change by Microsoft in terms of their recommended
    action for certain Spyware items has raised some concerns. Products
    such as Claria are now showing a recommended action of "Ignore"
    whereas most other antispyware products recommend removal of these
    items.

    Hope this explains the situation.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell, Jul 21, 2005
  7. Grace

    Guest

    Ron Martell <> wrote:

    |> wrote:

    |>>It was a very good program when released, now it can't be trusted to
    |>>do what it's suppose to do -protect you from spyware-.
    |>>
    |>>http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/07/07/1234217&from=rss

    |>The detection mechanism still recognizes these items and informs the
    |>user about them. It is just the default recommended action that has
    |>been changed to "ignore".

    From the first response of that link:
    "The vast majority of Windows users out there are just going to shrug
    and say, "Oh well...if Microsoft says they're not a threat, then they
    must not be a threat.""

    --

    , Jul 21, 2005
  8. Grace

    Ron Martell Guest

    wrote:

    >From the first response of that link:
    >"The vast majority of Windows users out there are just going to shrug
    >and say, "Oh well...if Microsoft says they're not a threat, then they
    >must not be a threat.""

    Yup.

    Ron Martell, Jul 22, 2005