Microsoft AntiSpyware Spyware Scan Results (poll)

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Orak Listalavostok, Jan 11, 2005.

  1. POLL: How LONG does it take to run on YOUR system with what results?
    Here is what I get using the microsoft spyware beta1 on a 2 Ghz
    windows xp sp2 IBM A31p laptop with 1 GB memory & 500 bytes L1 cache.
    ---
    Microsoft AntiSpyware Spyware Scan Results
    ---
    Scan Summary
    Spyware threats detected: 0
    ---
    Memory processes scanned: 945
    Memory processes infected: 0
    ---
    Files scanned: 24196
    Spyware files infected: 0
    ---
    Registry keys scanned: 9837
    Registry keys infected: 0
    ---
    Total scan time: 57 min 33 secs
    ---

    What do YOU get (how long does it take you on what machine)?

    Orak Listalavostok, Jan 11, 2005

  2. I should note there are 160 Gbytes (2 x 80 GB Toshiba hard drives)
    on this old 2Ghz IBM A31p laptop (if it matters).
    Does it take YOU an hour to run a full spyware scan on your PC?

    Orak Listalavostok, Jan 11, 2005

  3. Orak Listalavostok

    Robert Moir Guest

    Orak Listalavostok wrote:
    > POLL: How LONG does it take to run on YOUR system with what results?
    > Here is what I get using the microsoft spyware beta1 on a 2 Ghz
    > windows xp sp2 IBM A31p laptop with 1 GB memory & 500 bytes L1 cache.

    [snip]
    > What do YOU get (how long does it take you on what machine)?

    About 4.5 mins to scan 3 drives totalling 140gb of data in 34191 files on a
    P4 2.8GHZ machine with 1gb of ram.

    It doesn't surprise me that your time was a lot slower - laptop hard drives
    are usually much slower performers than desktop ones and you can't get much
    more disk intensive than a process that scans every file on the disk...

    Anyway, would we rather the scan run quickly or would we rather it ran
    accurately?

    Rob Moir
    Website - http://www.robertmoir.co.uk
    Virtual PC 2004 FAQ - http://www.robertmoir.co.uk/win/VirtualPC2004FAQ.html
    Kazaa - Software update services for your Viruses and Spyware.

    Robert Moir, Jan 11, 2005
  4. Orak Listalavostok

    Max Burke Guest

    > Orak Listalavostok scribbled:

    > POLL: How LONG does it take to run on YOUR system with what results?
    > Here is what I get using the microsoft spyware beta1 on a 2 Ghz
    > windows xp sp2 IBM A31p laptop with 1 GB memory & 500 bytes L1 cache.
    > ---
    > Microsoft AntiSpyware Spyware Scan Results
    > Memory processes scanned: 945
    > Files scanned: 24196
    > Registry keys scanned: 9837
    > Total scan time: 57 min 33 secs
    > What do YOU get (how long does it take you on what machine)?

    Results for scheduled daily scan at 07:45pm
    Settings:
    Full system scan.
    Scans 2 internal drives, 1 external USB drive, 10 logical drives/partitions
    in total.
    Deep scan folders.

    Memory processes scanned: 1397
    Files Scanned: 32224
    Registry keys scanned: 8869
    Total scan time: 11mins 19sec. (averages around 10-12 minutes)

    My Computer:
    Intel P4 1.6Ghz, 1280 Mb ram, XP Pro, SP2, Tower...

    Bit slower that Spybot S&D scans, but slightly faster that AdAware SE build
    1.05 scans

    Found Images

    Max Burke, Jan 11, 2005
  5. Orak Listalavostok

    Jay Calvert Guest

    Max Burke wrote:
    >> Orak Listalavostok scribbled:

    >> POLL: How LONG does it take to run on YOUR system with what results?
    >> Here is what I get using the microsoft spyware beta1 on a 2 Ghz
    >> windows xp sp2 IBM A31p laptop with 1 GB memory & 500 bytes L1 cache.
    >> ---
    >> Microsoft AntiSpyware Spyware Scan Results
    >> Memory processes scanned: 945
    >> Files scanned: 24196
    >> Registry keys scanned: 9837
    >> Total scan time: 57 min 33 secs
    >> What do YOU get (how long does it take you on what machine)?

    > Results for scheduled daily scan at 07:45pm
    > Settings:
    > Full system scan.
    > Scans 2 internal drives, 1 external USB drive, 10 logical
    > drives/partitions in total.
    > Deep scan folders.
    >
    > Memory processes scanned: 1397
    > Files Scanned: 32224
    > Registry keys scanned: 8869
    > Total scan time: 11mins 19sec. (averages around 10-12 minutes)
    >
    > My Computer:
    > Intel P4 1.6Ghz, 1280 Mb ram, XP Pro, SP2, Tower...
    >

    > Bit slower that Spybot S&D scans, but slightly faster that AdAware SE
    > build 1.05 scans

    I just did an independant review of the top 5 spyware applications and
    found that Spybot S&D was the fastest followed by MSAS Beta1. Ad-Aware
    was the slowest of all.

    You can read my review at my site, though it doesn't mention the speed
    of the products.

    --
    Jay
    http://habaneronetworks.com

    Jay Calvert, Jan 11, 2005
  6. Orak Listalavostok

    Rodney Kelp Guest

    Are these active memory processes actually running that you have? What the
    hell are you running? I usually only have 35 to 45.

    Rodney Kelp, Jan 11, 2005
  7. Orak Listalavostok

    lee Guest

    Orak Listalavostok wrote:
    > POLL: How LONG does it take to run on YOUR system with what results?
    > Here is what I get using the microsoft spyware beta1 on a 2 Ghz
    > windows xp sp2 IBM A31p laptop with 1 GB memory & 500 bytes L1 cache.
    > ---
    > Microsoft AntiSpyware Spyware Scan Results
    > ---
    > Scan Summary
    > Spyware threats detected: 0
    > ---
    > Memory processes scanned: 945
    > Memory processes infected: 0
    > ---
    > Files scanned: 24196
    > Spyware files infected: 0
    > ---
    > Registry keys scanned: 9837
    > Registry keys infected: 0
    > ---
    > Total scan time: 57 min 33 secs
    > ---
    >
    > What do YOU get (how long does it take you on what machine)?

    Mine sure doesn't take that long. I have it installed on a Compaq P4
    with a 2.54 Ghz processor and 10GB of data. It scans 23,000 files in
    less than 5 minutes.

    lee, Jan 11, 2005
  8. Orak Listalavostok

    Blake Loring Guest

    Spyware Scan Details
    Start Date: 1/7/2005 10:46:15 AM
    End Date: 1/7/2005 11:00:28 AM
    Total Time: 14 mins 13 secs

    Just a 40GB laptop HD...P4 2.66, 1GB ram.

    Blake Loring, Jan 13, 2005
  9. Below is my summary (I did not record the memory processes). My system is
    Dell Dimension 8200 1.9 Ghz windows XP Home with 512 Mb memory

    This is my first time running the MS beta product. Prior to running it I
    checked for updates to Spybot and ran it. The MS product still found a lot
    the Spybot missed or ???. After MS Anitspyware I ran Norton System Works
    Check-Up -- it found no problems with the registers or ...

    Microsoft AntiSpyware Spyware Scan Results
    >> ---
    >> Scan Summary:

    >> Spyware threats detected: 5
    >> ---
    >> Memory locations scanned: 1797

    >> Files scanned: 22,172
    >> Spyware files infected: 9
    >> ---
    >> Registry keys scanned: 8,693
    >> Registry keys infected: 661
    >> ---
    >> Total scan time: 29 min 28 secs

    Dick

    Th

    Dick Harrison, Jan 18, 2005
  10. The MS Antisypware ran at 2:00 am last night -- below are the results of the
    second execution. Net = no problems found and ran in about 50% of the time.

    Dick Harrison, Jan 18, 2005