Microsoft allows open document format for software

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Waylon Kenning, Jul 6, 2006.

  1. From http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/index.cfm?newsid=6537

    MS to integrate OpenDocument for Office

    Steven Schwankert

    Microsoft yesterday announced the creation of the Open XML Translator
    project, so its Office suite will support the open-source ODF
    (OpenDocument Format).

    The move comes in response to government requests for Microsoft
    products to be compatible with ODF, such as the national governments
    of Belgium and Denmark and the state government of the Commonwealth of
    Massachusetts.

    The company said that the next edition of Office – Office 2007, now
    expected early next year – will include menu options for XML, ODF and
    Adobe's PDF formats. The ODF support would include Office's three main
    formats, namely Word, Excel and PowerPoint.

    A prototype of the first translator for Word's 2007 version will be
    posted Wednesday on SourceForge.net, a popular site for open-source
    development. It can be found here, and is available under the BSD
    (Berkeley Software Distribution) licence, designed for open-source use
    and revision of software without licensing fees, within general
    guidelines and principles.

    A final version of the Word translator will be available in late 2006,
    with Excel and PowerPoint translators to follow in 2007, Microsoft
    said. The translators will be backwards-compatible, and users will be
    able to download free compatibility packs for "older versions" of
    Office, although Microsoft did not specify what the earliest version
    of Office it will support is.

    Partner companies will author the translation tools, naming French IT
    company Clever Age, India's Aztecsoft and Germany's Dialogika as
    collaborators for the Open XML Translator.

    Microsoft had previously opposed ODF, with Office format documents
    still being the world's most popular.

    ODF is the Oasis (Organisation for the Advancement of Structured
    Information Standards) OpenDocument Format, designed to create an
    open-source document standard. ODF has received support from
    open-source advocates including Sun Microsystems.
    --
    Cheers,

    Waylon Kenning.

    Waylon Kenning, Jul 6, 2006

  2. Waylon Kenning

    MaHogany Guest

    On Fri, 07 Jul 2006 00:25:29 +1200, Waylon Kenning wrote:

    > Microsoft yesterday announced the creation of the Open XML Translator
    > project, so its Office suite will support the open-source ODF

    Actually even with this "translator", M$ Office will not be capable of
    having the default file format set to ODF.

    M$ OFfice will still default to its own proprietary file format.

    Basically this is a strategy shift now that M$ knows that multiple
    governments are interested in using ODF.

    It's the same strategy that M$ is using against Adobe.

    Ma Hogany

    --
    Q: How do I make Windows(TM) go faster?
    A: Throw it harder...

    MaHogany, Jul 7, 2006

  3. Waylon Kenning

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > On Fri, 07 Jul 2006 00:25:29 +1200, Waylon Kenning wrote:
    >
    > > Microsoft yesterday announced the creation of the Open XML Translator
    > > project, so its Office suite will support the open-source ODF

    > Actually even with this "translator", M$ Office will not be capable of
    > having the default file format set to ODF.
    >
    > M$ OFfice will still default to its own proprietary file format.
    >
    > Basically this is a strategy shift now that M$ knows that multiple
    > governments are interested in using ODF.
    >
    > It's the same strategy that M$ is using against Adobe.

    You're probably too young - but it's the same strategy that worked very
    well against WordPerfect.

    --
    Duncan

    Dave Doe, Jul 7, 2006
  4. Waylon Kenning

    Gordon Guest

    On Fri, 07 Jul 2006 00:25:29 +1200, Waylon Kenning wrote:

    > A prototype of the first translator for Word's 2007 version will be
    > posted Wednesday on SourceForge.net, a popular site for open-source
    > development.

    The word translator in the above paragraph, is the point of interest.

    Is it freely avaliable and is the code likewise? Or it MS solution to
    someone attacking its wallet with great power?

    Gordon, Jul 7, 2006
  5. Waylon Kenning

    Max Burke Guest

    > Waylon Kenning scribbled:
    > From http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/index.cfm?newsid=6537
    > MS to integrate OpenDocument for Office
    > Steven Schwankert
    > Microsoft yesterday announced the creation of the Open XML Translator
    > project, so its Office suite will support the open-source ODF
    > (OpenDocument Format).

    You will assimilated! Resistance is FUTILE!

    (The nightmare of all OSS advocates continues)

    ;-)

    Found Images

    Max Burke, Jul 7, 2006
  6. T'was the Fri, 07 Jul 2006 18:36:16 +1200 when I remembered Gordon
    <> saying something like this:

    >Is it freely avaliable and is the code likewise? Or it MS solution to
    >someone attacking its wallet with great power?

    From the article:

    Waylon Kenning, Jul 7, 2006
  7. Waylon Kenning

    MaHogany Guest

    On Fri, 07 Jul 2006 18:10:13 +1200, Dave Doe wrote:

    > You're probably too young - but it's the same strategy that worked very
    > well against WordPerfect.

    I remember WordPerfect - I just wasn't conscious of anything that M$ was
    doing at the time.

    Ma Hogany

    --
    Q: How do I make Windows(TM) go faster?
    A: Throw it harder...

    MaHogany, Jul 7, 2006
  8. Waylon Kenning

    MaHogany Guest

    On Fri, 07 Jul 2006 18:53:55 +1200, Waylon Kenning wrote:

    > A prototype of the first translator for Word's 2007 version will be
    > posted Wednesday on SourceForge.net, a popular site for open-source
    > development. It can be found here, and is available under the BSD
    > (Berkeley Software Distribution) licence, designed for open-source use
    > and revision of software without licensing fees, within general
    > guidelines and principles.

    Of course that would be able to be incorporated into GPL'd software and
    subsequently released under the GPL licence - which would prevent M$ from
    putting proprietary bullshit into it.

    Ma Hogany

    --
    Q: How do I make Windows(TM) go faster?