    this one letter which I received without changing all my 2000 Microsoft word
    documents in my folders to 2010, so I can read this one document I received
    via E-mail . Thanks to all
    Tom, Nov 21, 2010

  2. Tom

    Bert Hyman Guest

    In news:4ce962d6$0$31278$ "Tom" <>
    wrote:

    > I have Microsoft word 2000 and I have received a 2010 Microsoft word
    > letter. I can not read this do to a different type of format. How can
    > I just change this one letter which I received without changing all my
    > 2000 Microsoft word documents in my folders to 2010, so I can read
    > this one document I received via E-mail . Thanks to all

    Download the Word Viewer from Microsoft; it's free.

    --
    Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN
    Bert Hyman, Nov 21, 2010

  3. Tom

    VanguardLH Guest

    Tom wrote:

    > I have Microsoft word 2000 and I have received a 2010 Microsoft word letter.
    > I can not read this do to a different type of format. How can I just change
    > this one letter which I received without changing all my 2000 Microsoft word
    > documents in my folders to 2010, so I can read this one document I received
    > via E-mail . Thanks to all

    Install the compatibility pack.

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=941b3470-3ae9-4aee-8f43-c6bb74cd1466

    The .docx files created by Word 2007+ are .doc files that have been
    zipped up to make them smaller. If you look at a .docx file with a hex
    editor, you'll see it starts with the "PK" (PKzip) header. You can't
    just unzip the .docx files to a .doc file. The zip file has folders and
    organization that defines the XML document (plus it's several XML
    documents for the main content, header, footers, etc). Besides the
    above compatbility pack, you could get a docx converter (as either an
    online service if you're not concerned about privacy or sensitivity or
    as a local application). There are free ones.

    http://www.google.com/search?q=+docx +converter +free
    VanguardLH, Nov 21, 2010
  4. Tom

    Mike Yetto Guest

    Tom <> writes and having writ moves on.
    >I have Microsoft word 2000 and I have received a 2010 Microsoft word letter.
    >I can not read this do to a different type of format. How can I just change
    >this one letter which I received without changing all my 2000 Microsoft word
    >documents in my folders to 2010, so I can read this one document I received
    >via E-mail . Thanks to all

    Changing the extension does not change the format of the file.

    Try OpenOffice.org, it's free and reads MS documents as well or
    better than MS Office.

    Mike "did I mention it's free?" Yetto
    In practice they are not.
    Mike Yetto, Nov 21, 2010