    Some people who post on this ng use it.
    I'm looking around for something friendly to use.
    Joy

    joy, Mar 30, 2005

  2. joy

    colinco Guest

    In article joy says...
    > What is it, I did search the internet but couldn't find the explanation.
    > Some people who post on this ng use it.
    > I'm looking around for something friendly to use.
    > Joy

    I'm surprised you know the name yet couldn't find out what it was.
    http://lightning.prohosting.com/~tbates/gravity/start1.html

    colinco, Mar 30, 2005

  3. joy

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 20:32:36 +1200, in message
    <d2do74$til$>, joy wrote:

    > What is it,

    MicroPlanet Gravity is a Usenet news client.

    > I did search the internet but couldn't find the explanation.

    You missed this page: http://mpgravity.sourceforge.net/

    Try this Google search:
    http://www.google.co.nz/search?q=MicroPlanet "Gravity is"

    > Some people who post on this ng use it.
    > I'm looking around for something friendly to use.

    Try it and see whether it fits with your way of working.

    --
    Cheers,
    Ralph

    "It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established authorities are wrong." -- Voltaire

    Ralph Fox, Mar 30, 2005
  4. joy

    BILL Guest

    On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 22:07:38 +1200, colinco <> wrote:

    >In article joy says...
    >> What is it, I did search the internet but couldn't find the explanation.
    >> Some people who post on this ng use it.
    >> I'm looking around for something friendly to use.
    >> Joy
    >>

    >I'm surprised you know the name yet couldn't find out what it was.
    >http://lightning.prohosting.com/~tbates/gravity/start1.html

    Patrick was the avid user of it, but I don't know if he still is..

    BILL, Mar 30, 2005
  5. joy

    BILL Guest

    On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 22:07:38 +1200, colinco <> wrote:

    >In article joy says...
    >> What is it, I did search the internet but couldn't find the explanation.
    >> Some people who post on this ng use it.
    >> I'm looking around for something friendly to use.
    >> Joy
    >>

    >I'm surprised you know the name yet couldn't find out what it was.
    >http://lightning.prohosting.com/~tbates/gravity/start1.html

    Patrick was the avid user of it, but I don't know if he still is..

    Seems like he has dropped it and using Mozilla Thunderbird.

    But that is not a News Reader, its a Bundle..

    BILL, Mar 30, 2005
  6. joy

    Mike Dee Guest

    joy <> wrote in news:d2do74$til$:

    > What is it, I did search the internet but couldn't find the
    > explanation.
    > Some people who post on this ng use it.
    > I'm looking around for something friendly to use.

    It's OK, there's Super Gravity 2.6
    <http://lightning.prohosting.com/~tbates/gravity/>
    & the open source MicroPlanet Gravity v2.7
    <http://sourceforge.net/projects/mpgravity/>

    I prefer Xnews to the above.
    <http://xnews.newsguy.com/>

    --
    dee

    Mike Dee, Mar 30, 2005
  7. joy

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 22:20:38 +1200, in message
    <>, BILL wrote:

    > Patrick was the avid user of it, but I don't know if he still is..
    >
    > Seems like he has dropped it and using Mozilla Thunderbird.
    >
    > But that is not a News Reader, its a Bundle..

    Mozilla Thunderbird bundles together a news reader with an email client.
    The same goes for Agent 2.0, which you are using.

    --
    Cheers,
    Ralph

    "Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored" -- Aldous Huxley

    Ralph Fox, Mar 30, 2005
  8. joy

    Keith Guest

    joy <> wrote:
    >What is it, I did search the internet but couldn't find the explanation.
    > Some people who post on this ng use it.
    >I'm looking around for something friendly to use.
    >Joy

    Heh heh
    If you know where to look you probably don't need to look. The phrase
    to search for is "Tom's Gravity pages"

    http://lightning.prohosting.com/~tbates/gravity/

    There is also a link there to the Open Source enhancement of the
    product but the SourceForge product is missing things like a spell
    checker

    Keith, Mar 30, 2005
  9. joy

    Mike Dee Guest

    "Keith" <> wrote in

    > There is also a link there to the Open Source enhancement of the
    > product but the SourceForge product is missing things like a spell
    > checker

    Uh, no it's not.

    --
    dee

    Mike Dee, Mar 31, 2005
  10. joy

    Keith Guest

    In article <Xns962AAB5B234DCemteedee@130.133.1.4>, lid
    says...
    > "Keith" <> wrote in
    >
    > > There is also a link there to the Open Source enhancement of the
    > > product but the SourceForge product is missing things like a spell
    > > checker
    > >

    > Uh, no it's not.

    If that's not the case then they need to update their documentastion
    here:
    http://lightning.prohosting.com/~tbates/gravity/status.html#important

    Keith, Mar 31, 2005
  11. joy

    Mike Dee Guest

    Keith <> wrote in

    >> > There is also a link there to the Open Source enhancement of
    >> > the product but the SourceForge product is missing things like
    >> > a spell checker
    >> >

    >> Uh, no it's not.

    > If that's not the case then they need to update their
    > documentastion here:
    > http://lightning.prohosting.com/~tbates/gravity/status.html#importa
    > nt

    Yes, it is in the page that you directed me to:

    **/
    Update: Build 2067 adds a preliminary spell checker (MySpell)
    /**

    I admit, you do need to read the page fully to see that piddly little
    line.

    However I do prefer to get this *same* imformation about MicroPlanet
    Gravity from here: <http://mpgravity.sourceforge.net/>.

    --
    dee

    Mike Dee, Mar 31, 2005
  12. joy

    Keith Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > In article <Xns962AAB5B234DCemteedee@130.133.1.4>, lid
    > says...
    > > "Keith" <> wrote in
    > >
    > > > There is also a link there to the Open Source enhancement of the
    > > > product but the SourceForge product is missing things like a spell
    > > > checker
    > > >

    > > Uh, no it's not.

    > If that's not the case then they need to update their documentastion
    > here:
    > http://lightning.prohosting.com/~tbates/gravity/status.html#important

    Oops my bad. "UPDATE Preliminary spell checker added"

    Still, there are changes from 2.6 to 2.7 (removed modules) that might
    warrant a novice user to start with 2.7

    (and the "Boss" toggle has been removed!).

    Keith, Mar 31, 2005
  13. joy

    Keith Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > In article <>,
    > says...
    > > In article <Xns962AAB5B234DCemteedee@130.133.1.4>, lid
    > > says...
    > > > "Keith" <> wrote in

    > > > Uh, no it's not.

    > > If that's not the case then they need to update their documentastion
    > > here:
    > > http://lightning.prohosting.com/~tbates/gravity/status.html#important

    > Oops my bad. "UPDATE Preliminary spell checker added"
    >
    > Still, there are changes from 2.6 to 2.7 (removed modules) that might
    > warrant a novice user to start with 2.7
    >
    > (and the "Boss" toggle has been removed!).

    Oh ****!!! that should be "start with 2.6". I give up, what's on the
    idiot box?

    Keith, Mar 31, 2005
  14. joy

    Mike Dee Guest

    Keith <> wrote in

    > Still, there are changes from 2.6 to 2.7 (removed modules) that
    > might warrant a novice user to start with 2.7
    >
    > (and the "Boss" toggle has been removed!).

    I wouldn't know. I do like the open source MP Gravity as a news client,
    especially now that it has 'Perl Compatible Regular Expressions' PCRE.

    However I prefer the Xnews UI above other alternatives, so far.

    --
    dee

    Mike Dee, Mar 31, 2005
  15. In article <Xns962AD54504A0Demteedee@130.133.1.4>,
    lid says...
    > Keith <> wrote in
    >
    > > Still, there are changes from 2.6 to 2.7 (removed modules) that
    > > might warrant a novice user to start with 2.7
    > >
    > > (and the "Boss" toggle has been removed!).

    > I wouldn't know. I do like the open source MP Gravity as a news client,
    > especially now that it has 'Perl Compatible Regular Expressions' PCRE.
    >
    > However I prefer the Xnews UI above other alternatives, so far.

    I've used Gravity for years and years and I am just happy with it.
    Subscribing/unsubscribing is much more intuitive than Agent - which I
    keep trying once every year or two, and stop using after a few days.

    Using 2.60 now, I think, and find nothing wrong with it. No reason for
    me to go 2.7 ...

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Mar 31, 2005
  16. joy

    BILL Guest

    On Fri, 1 Apr 2005 00:35:53 +1200, Peter Huebner <> wrote:

    >In article <Xns962AD54504A0Demteedee@130.133.1.4>,
    > says...
    >> Keith <> wrote in
    >>
    >> > Still, there are changes from 2.6 to 2.7 (removed modules) that
    >> > might warrant a novice user to start with 2.7
    >> >
    >> > (and the "Boss" toggle has been removed!).

    >> I wouldn't know. I do like the open source MP Gravity as a news client,
    >> especially now that it has 'Perl Compatible Regular Expressions' PCRE.
    >>
    >> However I prefer the Xnews UI above other alternatives, so far.

    >I've used Gravity for years and years and I am just happy with it.
    >Subscribing/unsubscribing is much more intuitive than Agent - which I
    >keep trying once every year or two, and stop using after a few days.
    >
    >Using 2.60 now, I think, and find nothing wrong with it. No reason for
    >me to go 2.7 ...
    >
    > -P.

    Funny That I tried Gravity a few times, ie reinstalled as a few seems to
    thing it was great, the biggest piece of crap I have found

    Agent is still the best their is..

    Been using it since day one..

    But the its not FREE.

    BILL, Mar 31, 2005
  17. joy

    Fred Bloggs Guest

    In article <d2do74$til$>, says...
    > What is it, I did search the internet but couldn't find the explanation.
    > Some people who post on this ng use it.
    > I'm looking around for something friendly to use.
    > Joy

    It's the best free newsreader around
    I have tried quite a few free newsreaders
    Gravity is a free version of what was developed as a commercial product
    Every bit as good as Agent but not limited in the free version

    Download from
    http://gravity.sf.net/

    Fred Bloggs, Mar 31, 2005
  18. joy

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Fred Bloggs wrote:
    > In article <d2do74$til$>, says...
    >
    >>What is it, I did search the internet but couldn't find the explanation.
    >> Some people who post on this ng use it.
    >>I'm looking around for something friendly to use.
    >>Joy

    > It's the best free newsreader around
    > I have tried quite a few free newsreaders
    > Gravity is a free version of what was developed as a commercial product
    > Every bit as good as Agent but not limited in the free version
    >
    > Download from
    > http://gravity.sf.net/

    Hmm...different Gravity, I think?

    -=rjh=-, Apr 1, 2005
  19. joy

    Fred Bloggs Guest

    In article <d2i01g$5hr$>, says...
    > Fred Bloggs wrote:
    > > In article <d2do74$til$>, says...
    > >
    > >>What is it, I did search the internet but couldn't find the explanation.
    > >> Some people who post on this ng use it.
    > >>I'm looking around for something friendly to use.
    > >>Joy

    > > It's the best free newsreader around
    > > I have tried quite a few free newsreaders
    > > Gravity is a free version of what was developed as a commercial product
    > > Every bit as good as Agent but not limited in the free version
    > >
    > > Download from
    > > http://gravity.sf.net/

    > Hmm...different Gravity, I think?

    Same one
    There's been about four different major versions of it
    v1.0 Microplanet Gravity
    v1.1 Anawave Gravity
    v2.x Back to Microplanet
    v2.5 Free version (doesn't require registration)
    v2.6 Update of free but still closed source (Super Gravity). Microplanet
    went out of business
    v2.7 Open source version
    The current product still carries "Microplanet Gravity" banners

    Fred Bloggs, Apr 1, 2005
  20. joy

    shannon Guest

    Fred Bloggs wrote:
    > In article <d2i01g$5hr$>, says...
    >
    >>Fred Bloggs wrote:
    >>
    >>>In article <d2do74$til$>, says...

    >>>It's the best free newsreader around
    >>>I have tried quite a few free newsreaders
    >>>Gravity is a free version of what was developed as a commercial product
    >>>Every bit as good as Agent but not limited in the free version
    >>>
    >>>Download from
    >>>http://gravity.sf.net/

    >>Hmm...different Gravity, I think?

    > Same one

    Don't think so

    "Gravity Coming Soon

    Gravity is an application framework built on top of the Open Services
    Gateway Initiative (OSGi) services gateway framework. The main goal of
    Gravity is to make it simple to build applications whose component
    building blocks are highly dynamic with respect to their availability;
    in other words, the components may come or go at any time.

    The first step towards this goal is the OSGi Service Binder.

    A complete demo of Gravity is also available. "

    shannon, Apr 1, 2005