    Do I need some kind of amplifier or something?
    I really have no idea how these things work but most of the odd things
    I do seem to work OK until now.
    Matty F, Jun 17, 2008

  2. In article
    <>, Matty
    F did write:

    > I have a microphone that works just fine plugged into my PC or into a
    > tape recorder. I wish to record sound using my VCR, but plugging the
    > mike into one of the audio channels does not record any sound.

    There are two kinds of audio line inputs: 600Ω for microphones, and 50kΩ for
    connections between different pieces of equipment. If you plug a mic
    designed for the former into the latter, you're going to get a greatly
    weakened signal--might pick up something if you could turn up the volume
    high enough.

    I suggest you try using either the PC or the audio tape recorder as an
    amplifier: plug the mic into it, and feed a line-out from it into the VCR.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jun 17, 2008

  3. Matty F

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "Matty F" typed:
    > I have a microphone that works just fine plugged into my PC or into a
    > tape recorder. I wish to record sound using my VCR, but plugging the
    > mike into one of the audio channels does not record any sound.
    > Do I need some kind of amplifier or something?
    > I really have no idea how these things work but most of the odd things
    > I do seem to work OK until now.

    Yes, you need an amplifier.

    The PC and tape recorder both have mic inputs. The VCR has line-level
    inputs, requiring a boosted signal.
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Jun 17, 2008
  4. Matty F

    Matty F Guest

    On Jun 17, 7:29 pm, "~misfit~" <> wrote:

    > The PC and tape recorder both have mic inputs. The VCR has line-level
    > inputs, requiring a boosted signal.

    I don't want to have the PC on all night, and I use my big amplifier
    for other purposes most of the time. Is there a cheap amplifier
    available that I could use? I have 12V DC available, & 230V AC. I
    can't see anything suitable at Dick Smith.
    Matty F, Jun 17, 2008
  5. Matty F

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "Matty F" typed:
    > On Jun 17, 7:29 pm, "~misfit~" <> wrote:
    >
    >> The PC and tape recorder both have mic inputs. The VCR has line-level
    >> inputs, requiring a boosted signal.

    > I don't want to have the PC on all night, and I use my big amplifier
    > for other purposes most of the time. Is there a cheap amplifier
    > available that I could use? I have 12V DC available, & 230V AC. I
    > can't see anything suitable at Dick Smith.

    Are you handy with a soldering iron?

    http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/en/product/K5402

    Otherwise I guess it gets expensive. You can buy dedicated microphone
    amplifiers although I wouldn't know where from or how much. Google probably
    does though.
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Jun 17, 2008
  6. Matty F

    Matty F Guest

    On Jun 17, 9:37 pm, "~misfit~" <> wrote:
    > Somewhere on teh intarweb "Matty F" typed:
    >
    > > On Jun 17, 7:29 pm, "~misfit~" <> wrote:

    > >> The PC and tape recorder both have mic inputs. The VCR has line-level
    > >> inputs, requiring a boosted signal.

    > > I don't want to have the PC on all night, and I use my big amplifier
    > > for other purposes most of the time. Is there a cheap amplifier
    > > available that I could use? I have 12V DC available, & 230V AC. I
    > > can't see anything suitable at Dick Smith.

    > Are you handy with a soldering iron?
    >
    > http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/en/product/K5402
    >
    > Otherwise I guess it gets expensive. You can buy dedicated microphone
    > amplifiers although I wouldn't know where from or how much. Google probably
    > does though.

    I did see that. I have grave doubts that DSE have any kits in stock
    anywhere. I drove to K Road DSE a week ago for a kit that the website
    said was in stock, and they looked blank and said that "lots of people
    keep asking for rthat item". DSE seem to have gone out of stocking
    kits.
    I am amazed that someone doesn't sell something like that ready made
    up.
    Matty F, Jun 17, 2008
  7. Matty F

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "Richard" typed:
    > Matty F wrote:
    >>
    >> I did see that. I have grave doubts that DSE have any kits in stock
    >> anywhere. I drove to K Road DSE a week ago for a kit that the website
    >> said was in stock, and they looked blank and said that "lots of
    >> people keep asking for rthat item". DSE seem to have gone out of
    >> stocking kits.
    >> I am amazed that someone doesn't sell something like that ready made
    >> up.

    > They do, look at musican shops for a mic preamp, and then an adapter
    > to change the plug down to an RCA from the balanced output of the
    > preamp.
    > Otherwise look for a cheap DJ mixer - they often have mic inputs as
    > well.
    > There are several items on jaycars site that may do the trick, search
    > preamp (or was that pre amp)?

    That'll be my mistake then, I searched Jaycar before I replied (been to the
    Manukau store today actually, going back tomorrow [Grrr...]). However, I
    searched amplifier. It's been a while....
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Jun 17, 2008
  8. In <>
    Matty F wrote:
    > On Jun 17, 9:37 pm, "~misfit~" <> wrote:
    >>
    >> Are you handy with a soldering iron?
    >>
    >> http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/en/product/K5402
    >>
    >> Otherwise I guess it gets expensive. You can buy dedicated microphone
    >> amplifiers although I wouldn't know where from or how much. Google
    >> probably does though.

    > I did see that. I have grave doubts that DSE have any kits in stock
    > anywhere. I drove to K Road DSE a week ago for a kit that the website
    > said was in stock, and they looked blank and said that "lots of people
    > keep asking for rthat item". DSE seem to have gone out of stocking
    > kits.

    If their stock database says they have an item in stock then their
    system won't order any more until the annual stocktake corrects it.
    Unless you manage to strike a member of the staff who's willing to
    correct the database, but that's pretty rare since it's such a hassle
    for them. On the positive side, more than once I've taken something to
    the counter to purchase and the database says they have zero in stock.
    If it's only worth a few dollars the normal response is: "It doesn't
    exist, I don't want to know about it, please just take it away."

    --
    Roger Johnstone, Invercargill, New Zealand -> http://roger.geek.nz
    Roger Johnstone, Jun 18, 2008
  9. In article <485785bf$>, "~misfit~" <> wrote:
    >Somewhere on teh intarweb "Matty F" typed:
    >> On Jun 17, 7:29 pm, "~misfit~" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> The PC and tape recorder both have mic inputs. The VCR has line-level
    >>> inputs, requiring a boosted signal.

    >> I don't want to have the PC on all night, and I use my big amplifier
    >> for other purposes most of the time. Is there a cheap amplifier
    >> available that I could use? I have 12V DC available, & 230V AC. I
    >> can't see anything suitable at Dick Smith.

    >Are you handy with a soldering iron?
    >
    >http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/en/product/K5402
    >
    >Otherwise I guess it gets expensive. You can buy dedicated microphone
    >amplifiers although I wouldn't know where from or how much. Google probably
    >does though.

    Don't you just need a preamp ? Assuming the audio inputs are 'line in' isn't
    that 1 V ... a job for a relatively simple preamp ?

    Get 2 tho ... stereo :) :)
    Bruce Sinclair, Jun 23, 2008
  10. In article <>, Matty F <> wrote:
    (snip)
    >I did see that. I have grave doubts that DSE have any kits in stock
    >anywhere. I drove to K Road DSE a week ago for a kit that the website
    >said was in stock, and they looked blank and said that "lots of people
    >keep asking for rthat item". DSE seem to have gone out of stocking
    >kits.
    >I am amazed that someone doesn't sell something like that ready made
    >up.

    Do check out Jaycar if there's one near you.
    Bruce Sinclair, Jun 23, 2008
  11. Matty F

    Matty F Guest

    On Jun 23, 4:47 pm,
    (Bruce Sinclair) wrote:
    > In article <>, "~misfit~" <> wrote:
    > >Somewhere on teh intarweb "Matty F" typed:

    > >> I don't want to have the PC on all night, and I use my big amplifier
    > >> for other purposes most of the time. Is there a cheap amplifier
    > >> available that I could use? I have 12V DC available, & 230V AC. I
    > >> can't see anything suitable at Dick Smith.

    > >Are you handy with a soldering iron?

    > >http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/en/product/K5402

    > >Otherwise I guess it gets expensive. You can buy dedicated microphone
    > >amplifiers although I wouldn't know where from or how much. Google probably
    > >does though.

    > Don't you just need a preamp ? Assuming the audio inputs are 'line in' isn't
    > that 1 V ... a job for a relatively simple preamp ?
    >
    > Get 2 tho ... stereo :) :)

    I recall that the microphone originally came with a small device that
    needed a battery. That's probably a preamp. I'll be having a look for
    where I put it 8 years ago.
    I don't need great quality, it's just to record car horns, screams of
    abuse, and the rattle of spray cans :)
    Along with the infrared strobe light and video camera, I'll catch 100%
    of the bastards instead of just 60%!
    Matty F, Jun 23, 2008
  12. In article <>, Matty F <> wrote:
    (snip)
    >> >Otherwise I guess it gets expensive. You can buy dedicated microphone
    >> >amplifiers although I wouldn't know where from or how much. Google probably
    >> >does though.

    >> Don't you just need a preamp ? Assuming the audio inputs are 'line in' isn't
    >> that 1 V ... a job for a relatively simple preamp ?
    >> Get 2 tho ... stereo :) :)

    >I recall that the microphone originally came with a small device that
    >needed a battery. That's probably a preamp. I'll be having a look for
    >where I put it 8 years ago.

    That will be it. :)
    I looked for one of those recently and found they were expensive (~$180
    IIRC) ... but I was after good ones that provided phantom power too. Ended
    up buying a small mixer instead. One of those much cheaper than 3 of the
    others.

    >I don't need great quality, it's just to record car horns, screams of
    >abuse, and the rattle of spray cans :)
    >Along with the infrared strobe light and video camera, I'll catch 100%
    >of the bastards instead of just 60%!

    :) Best of luck.
    Bruce Sinclair, Jun 24, 2008