    (assume the monitor is off while the recording is taking place(at least
    the volume is muted))
    , Feb 21, 2006

  2. Jeff Guest

    wrote in news:1140485332.863003.102770
    @g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

    > OK...
    > I have a room where i want to have a camera and mic hooked up to DVD-R
    > and playback into a moinitor with sound(audio). This room is used by
    > many people who can only follow the simplest of instuctions:
    > Question:
    > If the microphone is live and the DVD-R is used for playback with there
    > be audio feedback. I have not purchased anyhtring yet...but am curious
    > if there is a DVD-R unit that will not cause feedback...
    > (this seems like a stupid question...but I have been told by some
    > trustworthy people that it will feedback) any ideas?
    > (assume the monitor is off while the recording is taking place(at least
    > the volume is muted))

    The DVD-R unit has nothing to do with the audio feedback.

    If the volume is muted or the DVD is playing something that was
    previously recorded there will be no feedback. Feedback comes from a
    microphone picking up its real-time sound from a speaker.

    Quote from Wikipedia:
    Audio feedback (also known as the Larson effect) is a special kind of
    feedback which occurs when a loop exists between an audio input (for
    example, a microphone or guitar pickup) and an audio output (for example,
    a loudspeaker). In this example, a signal received by the microphone is
    amplified and passed out of the loudspeaker. The sound from the
    loudspeaker can then be received by the microphone again, amplified
    further, and then passed out through the loudspeaker again. The frequency
    of the resulting sound is determined by resonant frequencies in the
    microphone, amplifier, and loudspeaker, the acoustics of the room, the
    directional pick-up and emission patterns of the microphone and
    loudspeaker, and the distance between them.
    Jeff, Feb 21, 2006

  3. Oldus Fartus Guest

    wrote:
    > OK...
    > I have a room where i want to have a camera and mic hooked up to DVD-R
    > and playback into a moinitor with sound(audio). This room is used by
    > many people who can only follow the simplest of instuctions:
    > Question:
    > If the microphone is live and the DVD-R is used for playback with there
    > be audio feedback. I have not purchased anyhtring yet...but am curious
    > if there is a DVD-R unit that will not cause feedback...
    > (this seems like a stupid question...but I have been told by some
    > trustworthy people that it will feedback) any ideas?
    > (assume the monitor is off while the recording is taking place(at least
    > the volume is muted))

    I guess by DVD-R you mean a DVD Recorder?

    If I am correct, then by muting the volume of the playback device,
    feedback should not be a problem.

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus