    double battery holder, and the camera just keeps shooting and
    shooting..... The microdrives $30-50 cheaper than the 1GB CF cards.

    Jeff

    Jeff, Nov 25, 2003

  2. Jeff

    Dan R Guest

    DITTO Jeff !!! I am in the SAME spot as you! D100/MB-D100 and looking @ a
    large storage device.. I will watch closely to input from others.

    Dan R.

    Dan R, Nov 25, 2003

  3. Jeff

    Tom J. Guest

    The tested speeds on the D100 on rob galbraith's web site show the Leaxr 40x
    1-Gig being 1796K/sec (jpeg) and 2128K/sec (raw). The Microdrive 1-Gig is
    1294K/sec and 1623K/sec. Plus, the CF card is much more reliable than the
    mechanical microdrive.

    Tom J., Nov 25, 2003
  4. Jeff

    Guest

    On 25 Nov 2003 11:18:26 -0800, (Jeff) wrote:

    >I understand that the Microdrives are somewhat more shock sensitive;
    >are there any other concerns? how is battery life?- I use the handgrip
    >double battery holder, and the camera just keeps shooting and
    >shooting..... The microdrives $30-50 cheaper than the 1GB CF cards.
    >
    >Jeff

    I've had one md fail on me. I wasn't even using it. I used it for a
    week or so, then left it safely in a drawer for many weeks. Next time
    I tried it, it was dead. It was one of the first ones, a 170mb, but
    towards the end of its production life, when the 340mb ones came out.
    Maybe the newer ones are more reliable. Maybe not. It was replaced
    under warranty - with a 256mb cf card. The card is still working.

    MJ

    , Nov 25, 2003
  5. Jeff

    Bill Hilton Guest

    >From: (Jeff)

    >I am in the market for a 1GB Compact flash card, and recently saw the
    >Lexar 40x Write Acceleration [WA]cards, which seem to have a 6mb/sec
    >write rate. The microdrives appear to have a write speed range of
    >roughly 36-60mb/sec.
    >
    >Can this be right? 6-10 times faster write speeds?

    No, the IBM microdrives are slower than the fastest Lexar cards (unless there
    are some souped up ones out there right now).

    >anyone out there who can comment on the
    >actual in camera speeds experienced between the two?

    I can't easily measure it 'in camera' but I have an IBM microdrive that's about
    3 years old and a Lexar 32x WA card, both 1 GB. I created a test folder of 961
    MB and copied it to each via a USB 2 card reader, then read it back.

    Lexar took 5:15 to write, IBM took 9:44 so 1.85x longer.
    Lexar took 4:05 to read, IBM took 4:40 so 1.14x longer.

    So the Lexar write speed is about 20x (1x => 150 KB/sec) and the IBM is about
    11x thru my USB 2 card. It's much slower on a USB 1 card, btw, about 3-4x
    slower.

    For reads, the Lexar is about 26x, the IBM 23x. As I said, this is to/from my
    computer via USB 2 and it's no doubt faster in-camera for writes.

    This site has some CF speed test info, though not for the exact Lexar card you
    have in mind ... http://www.dpreview.com/articles/mediacompare/ ... for the IBM
    microdrive he measures 23x read, 22x write in-camera and for the closest Lexar,
    a 16x 512 MB, he measures 21x read and 14x write. No way no how do you get 6x
    - 10x faster with the microdrive though, even with the 16x Lexar.

    FWIW the microdrive has about 4% more capacity, 162 RAW files on my Canon 10D
    vs 156 for the Lexar, and 425 large/fine jpegs vs 409. I'm pretty sure the IBM
    uses more power.

    >The microdrives $30-50 cheaper than the 1GB CF cards.

    At this price differential I'd just get the Lexar myself.

    Bill

    Bill Hilton, Nov 25, 2003
  6. Jeff

    Dan R Guest

    GREAT input Bill.... thanks... Lexar shopping I go... (soon after
    christmas.... You know...Kids, College, etc)
    Dan R.

    Dan R, Nov 26, 2003