Micro-vibrations could lead to file system corruption or harddisk damage.

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Skybuck Flying, Sep 22, 2011.

  1. Hello,

    I have a new hypothesis for you:

    "Micro-vibration leads to file system corruption or harddisk damage".

    For example the Antec 1200 case of my DreamPC 2006 has "harddisk bays" which
    have "cooling fans" connected to them.

    I notice how these cooling fans start to vibrate/osccilate after a while.
    Like a bridge being blow out of proportions like the wind if it happens in a
    certain way.

    The drive bays seem to start humming a little bit more then usual. One I
    touch it the humming stops.

    So I think it could be possible that these micro-vibrations could cause file
    system corruption when reading/writing or maybe even sector damage.

    However in the case of a fire it would still be handy to pull out the
    harddisk bays. So I will leave the harddisks bays "loose" in the computer so
    I can pull them out quickly.

    (Or perhaps I change my mind and screw them tight with screws, maybe during
    a fire they can be unscrewed, I will probably screw them in later, but too
    tired for it now ! ;) :))

    (This could explain why one of my harddisks had volume corruption today)

    Oh yeah another explanation which first came to my mind:

    It's a space event, particles from space hit the harddisk magnets... the
    reason for this hypo is because other people on this planet reported system
    failures as well just a day ago or so... but that could be a coincidence ;)
    :)

    Bye,
    Skybuck.

    Skybuck Flying, Sep 22, 2011