    http://tinyurl.com/ck99s

    Microsoft invents a ‘one-play only’ DVD to combat Hollywood piracy

    Any one remember DIVX ??

    Mutlley, Oct 4, 2005

  2. On Wed, 05 Oct 2005 09:47:47 +1300, someone purporting to be Mutlley didst
    scrawl:

    > http://tinyurl.com/ck99s
    >
    > Microsoft invents a ‘one-play only’ DVD to combat Hollywood piracy
    >
    > Any one remember DIVX ??

    And I bet they'll charge you $10 for the damn things, too.
    MS have made the wrong choice in their alignment with the media
    industries. Shitting on your customers is not a good business model.

    --
    Matthew Poole
    "Don't use force. Get a bigger hammer."

    Matthew Poole, Oct 4, 2005

  3. Mutlley

    Shane Guest

    On Wed, 05 Oct 2005 08:53:11 +1300, Matthew Poole wrote:

    > Shitting on
    > your customers is not a good business model.

    Its worked well for them so far :)

    Shane, Oct 4, 2005
  4. Mutlley

    Harry Guest

    Mutlley wrote:

    > http://tinyurl.com/ck99s
    >
    > Microsoft invents a ‘one-play only’ DVD to combat Hollywood piracy
    >
    > Any one remember DIVX ??

    To combat piracy? Wont work. Because so-called "pirates" (of course,
    they are probably directed by the all-powerful Al Qaida) would record
    that one-only play.

    How dumb can people get?

    Harry, Oct 5, 2005
  5. Harry wrote:
    >>http://tinyurl.com/ck99s
    >>Microsoft invents a ‘one-play only’ DVD to combat Hollywood piracy
    >>Any one remember DIVX ??

    > To combat piracy? Wont work. Because so-called "pirates" (of course,
    > they are probably directed by the all-powerful Al Qaida) would record
    > that one-only play.
    > How dumb can people get?

    I wonder what happens if you eject the DVD accidentally while itis
    playing? money back? proportion of money back? or told to talk to vendor?

    --
    http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site - redesign in progress

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Oct 5, 2005
  6. Mutlley

    Shane Guest

    On Wed, 05 Oct 2005 13:49:09 +1300, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > Harry wrote:
    >>>http://tinyurl.com/ck99s
    >>>Microsoft invents a ‘one-play only’ DVD to combat Hollywood piracy
    >>>Any one remember DIVX ??

    >> To combat piracy? Wont work. Because so-called "pirates" (of course,
    >> they are probably directed by the all-powerful Al Qaida) would record
    >> that one-only play.
    >> How dumb can people get?

    > I wonder what happens if you eject the DVD accidentally while itis
    > playing? money back? proportion of money back? or told to talk to vendor?

    I wonder what happens if you take a magic marker and draw on parts of it

    Shane, Oct 5, 2005
  7. Mutlley

    GraB Guest

    wrote:

    >On Wed, 05 Oct 2005 09:47:47 +1300, someone purporting to be Mutlley didst
    >scrawl:
    >
    >> http://tinyurl.com/ck99s
    >>
    >> Microsoft invents a ‘one-play only’ DVD to combat Hollywood piracy
    >>
    >> Any one remember DIVX ??

    >And I bet they'll charge you $10 for the damn things, too.
    >MS have made the wrong choice in their alignment with the media
    >industries. Shitting on your customers is not a good business model.

    The last thing I want to see is Micro$oft dominating the home
    entertainment market.

    GraB, Oct 5, 2005
  8. Mutlley

    GraB Guest

    wrote:

    >On Wed, 05 Oct 2005 09:47:47 +1300, someone purporting to be Mutlley didst
    >scrawl:
    >
    >> http://tinyurl.com/ck99s
    >>
    >> Microsoft invents a ‘one-play only’ DVD to combat Hollywood piracy
    >>
    >> Any one remember DIVX ??

    >And I bet they'll charge you $10 for the damn things, too.
    >MS have made the wrong choice in their alignment with the media
    >industries. Shitting on your customers is not a good business model.

    They have been doing that for years.

    GraB, Oct 5, 2005
  9. Mutlley

    Harry Guest

    Shane wrote:

    >>> To combat piracy? Wont work. Because so-called "pirates" (of course,
    >>> they are probably directed by the all-powerful Al Qaida) would record
    >>> that one-only play.
    >>> How dumb can people get?

    >> I wonder what happens if you eject the DVD accidentally while itis
    >> playing? money back? proportion of money back? or told to talk to vendor?

    > I wonder what happens if you take a magic marker and draw on parts of it

    I wonder what happens when they put it in a scanner to copy the label.
    I wonder what happens if you leave it out in the sun for half and hour.

    Harry, Oct 5, 2005
  10. Mutlley

    Shane Guest

    On Wed, 05 Oct 2005 15:54:49 +1000, Harry wrote:

    > Shane wrote:

    >>> I wonder what happens if you eject the DVD accidentally while itis
    >>> playing? money back? proportion of money back? or told to talk to
    >>> vendor?

    >> I wonder what happens if you take a magic marker and draw on parts of it
    >>

    > I wonder what happens when they put it in a scanner to copy the label. I
    > wonder what happens if you leave it out in the sun for half and hour.

    http://www.google.co.nz/search?hl=en&q=magic marker defeat protection&btnG=Google Search&meta=

    http://tinyurl.com/7hqgc

    I wonder where we would be without a memory

    Shane, Oct 5, 2005
  11. Hi there,

    Mutlley wrote:
    > http://tinyurl.com/ck99s
    >
    > Microsoft invents a ‘one-play only’ DVD to combat Hollywood piracy

    Am I allowed to guess which OS the DVD will play (once) on?

    I'm pretty sure the Linux folks will figure out how to get the
    disc to a) play, and b) replay, on their OS...

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Brisbane, Australia.

    Chris Wilkinson, Oct 5, 2005
  12. Mutlley

    Peter Guest

    Matthew Poole wrote:
    > MS have made the wrong choice in their alignment with the media
    > industries. Shitting on your customers is not a good business model.

    ?
    It works fine, so long as the customers accept the shitty end of the deal.

    Peter

    Peter, Oct 5, 2005
  13. On Wed, 05 Oct 2005 09:11:51 +1300, Shane <-a-geek.net>
    wrote:

    >On Wed, 05 Oct 2005 08:53:11 +1300, Matthew Poole wrote:
    >
    >> Shitting on
    >> your customers is not a good business model.

    >Its worked well for them so far :)

    That is the exact sentence, word for word, that I thought of in
    response to Matthew's comment.

    JM

    James McLaughlin, Oct 5, 2005
  14. Mutlley

    Peter Guest

    Mutlley wrote:
    > http://tinyurl.com/ck99s
    >
    > Microsoft invents a ‘one-play only’ DVD to combat Hollywood piracy
    >
    > Any one remember DIVX ??

    Didn't someone come up with disposable / short life DVDs a while back?
    These DVDs would self destruct a few hours after you open the package.

    Of course, apart from the pollution / solid waste problem this causes, why
    would anyone buy such a thing?

    The MS play once DVD looks similarly stupid. It only inconveniences genuine
    customers, as crooks wanting to make illegal copies only need to play it
    once anyway.

    Peter

    Peter, Oct 5, 2005
  15. Mutlley

    Peter Guest

    Chris Wilkinson wrote:
    > Mutlley wrote:
    >> http://tinyurl.com/ck99s
    >> Microsoft invents a ?one-play only? DVD to combat Hollywood piracy

    > Am I allowed to guess which OS the DVD will play (once) on?
    >
    > I'm pretty sure the Linux folks will figure out how to get the
    > disc to a) play, and b) replay, on their OS...

    The difference will be if MS can get legislation passed in their favour, so
    it is illegal to make or copy or own or do anything in connection with
    software that circumvents their little scheme. Just because you paid for
    the product doesn't mean you can use it how you want.
    The lawyers will do well out of this, and MS will do very well. Customers
    and artists lose out again, and probably the entertainment corporations as
    well.

    Peter

    Peter, Oct 5, 2005
  16. the content copyright holder can do whatever they want with their
    content, it is their content after all. They can choose to encode it,
    protect it and license it anyway they like.

    Vote with your wallet, and don't purchase it if you don't like it

    Nathan Mercer, Oct 5, 2005
  17. Mutlley

    Robert Cooze Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > Harry wrote:
    >
    >>> http://tinyurl.com/ck99s
    >>> Microsoft invents a ‘one-play only’ DVD to combat Hollywood piracy
    >>> Any one remember DIVX ??

    >> To combat piracy? Wont work. Because so-called "pirates" (of course,
    >> they are probably directed by the all-powerful Al Qaida) would record
    >> that one-only play.
    >> How dumb can people get?

    > I wonder what happens if you eject the DVD accidentally while itis
    > playing? money back? proportion of money back? or told to talk to vendor?

    Or for that matter a power cut NZ has and will have power probs heard of
    brown out enough to stall some DVD palyers maby you will have to have
    DRM on the UPS and TV set too...

    Robert Cooze, Oct 5, 2005
  18. T'was the Wed, 05 Oct 2005 21:56:59 +1300 when I remembered Peter
    <> saying something like this:

    >The MS play once DVD looks similarly stupid. It only inconveniences genuine
    >customers, as crooks wanting to make illegal copies only need to play it
    >once anyway.

    I always remember someone in here talking about displaying something
    on the screen that was physically not able to be copied due to
    hardware and software protections. Then someone decided to take a
    picture/photocopy of the screen. Let's face it, the limitation of all
    these schemes is the fact humans need to look at the information.
    Without humans well, things would be so easy...
    --
    Cheers,

    Waylon Kenning.

    Waylon Kenning, Oct 5, 2005
  19. In article <43439f79$>, Nathan Mercer <>
    wrote:

    >the content copyright holder can do whatever they want with their
    >content, it is their content after all. They can choose to encode it,
    >protect it and license it anyway they like.

    So when you "buy" their content, what are you paying for exactly?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 5, 2005
  20. Mutlley

    Don Hills Guest

    In article <43439f79$>, Nathan Mercer <> wrote:
    >the content copyright holder can do whatever they want with their
    >content, it is their content after all. They can choose to encode it,
    >protect it and license it anyway they like.

    It's not their content. They published it. In other words, they gave it
    (transferred ownership) to the public in exchange for the right to control
    the copying of that content for a limited period. They can choose in what
    form and media the copies will be distributed. Copyright does not prevent
    purchasers from decoding it or unprotecting it. They need additional
    legislation for that (DMCA etc).

    >Vote with your wallet, and don't purchase it if you don't like it

    As someone has pointed out, that's what killed Divx (the pay-per-view DVD
    scheme, not the video codec.)

    preparing you for the wonders of OS/2!"

    Don Hills, Oct 5, 2005