Micro outage on Paradise ADSL ?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Chris Mayhew, Aug 22, 2003.

  1. Chris Mayhew

    Chris Mayhew Guest

    OK, just had one of these outages again on my Paradise Jetstart account
    connecting via a Dynalink RTA020 Router. Just sorting out some facts to
    figure the likely cause. So .....

    All the lights on the Router show it is working normally then all of a
    sudden there is no data flow. Can ping Router from PC so not my little LAN
    at fault. While trying to use the browser I get time out errors - same
    with news and email. Wait 5 mins, still nothing so reboot Router and all
    is working fine again, same IP as well (so I assume mine wasn't transfered
    to someone elses use). Talked to friend in same building who has ADSL with
    Xtra and theres is working fine (so I assume it's not the local exchange)

    This only leaves Paradise, right ?, as sugested in a previous thread. So
    can I assume it is the authentication server given that news and email
    times out as well ? - dispite the fact that email can time out by it's self
    while browsing is not causing problems.

    TIA
    --
    Chris Mayhew using Xnews !

    Chris Mayhew, Aug 22, 2003

  2. Chris Mayhew

    Chris Mayhew Guest

    Chris Mayhew <> wrote in

    > OK, just had one of these outages again on my Paradise Jetstart
    > account connecting via a Dynalink RTA020 Router. Just sorting out
    > some facts to figure the likely cause. So .....

    Interesting, just had another one that lasted 16 mins but rebooting the
    Router didn't have any effect this time round - it just came back in it's
    own time.

    --
    Chris Mayhew using Xnews !

    Chris Mayhew, Aug 22, 2003

  3. Chris Mayhew

    -{-astrae-}- Guest

    Just had the same thing there. Everything is connected and looks fine. No
    data transfer at all

    -{-astrae-}-, Aug 22, 2003
  4. Chris Mayhew

    Rider Guest

    > OK, just had one of these outages again on my Paradise Jetstart account
    > connecting via a Dynalink RTA020 Router. Just sorting out some facts to
    > figure the likely cause. So .....
    >
    > All the lights on the Router show it is working normally then all of a
    > sudden there is no data flow. Can ping Router from PC so not my little

    LAN
    > at fault. While trying to use the browser I get time out errors - same
    > with news and email. Wait 5 mins, still nothing so reboot Router and all
    > is working fine again, same IP as well (so I assume mine wasn't transfered
    > to someone elses use). Talked to friend in same building who has ADSL

    with
    > Xtra and theres is working fine (so I assume it's not the local exchange)
    >
    > This only leaves Paradise, right ?, as sugested in a previous thread. So
    > can I assume it is the authentication server given that news and email
    > times out as well ? - dispite the fact that email can time out by it's

    self
    > while browsing is not causing problems.
    >
    > TIA
    > --
    > Chris Mayhew using Xnews !

    This is quite common for the RTA020. It seems to go to sleep occasionally.
    Mine does it, a friend of mine has one and his does it and one of my
    customers does it also. Doing a reboot on the router corrects it. Sucks.

    Rider

    Rider, Aug 22, 2003
  5. Chris Mayhew

    Rider Guest

    > OK, just had one of these outages again on my Paradise Jetstart account
    > connecting via a Dynalink RTA020 Router. Just sorting out some facts to
    > figure the likely cause. So .....
    >
    > All the lights on the Router show it is working normally then all of a
    > sudden there is no data flow. Can ping Router from PC so not my little

    LAN
    > at fault. While trying to use the browser I get time out errors - same
    > with news and email. Wait 5 mins, still nothing so reboot Router and all
    > is working fine again, same IP as well (so I assume mine wasn't transfered
    > to someone elses use). Talked to friend in same building who has ADSL

    with
    > Xtra and theres is working fine (so I assume it's not the local exchange)
    >
    > This only leaves Paradise, right ?, as sugested in a previous thread. So
    > can I assume it is the authentication server given that news and email
    > times out as well ? - dispite the fact that email can time out by it's

    self
    > while browsing is not causing problems.
    >
    > TIA
    > --
    > Chris Mayhew using Xnews !

    Some people have found that firmware upgrades have helped stabilise the
    router, but not all people. Try a firmware upgrade.

    Rider

    Rider, Aug 22, 2003
  6. Chris Mayhew

    Rider Guest

    > Have done that (got the latest some time ago which was ment to be the
    > final shipping version), but I did wonder if the Router could "go to

    sleep"
    > so thanks for your reply. I guess what would be good is a Router that
    > could test the connection it's self and reboot or reconnect it's self but
    > if what you say is correct then it's more a *fault* of the Router rather
    > than anything else, not with standing a fault at the ISP which seems more
    > likely the problem for me now that I know that the Router can logg back on
    > on it's own once the ISP becomes "available" again and the fact that it
    > *appears* to affect Paradise but not Xtra.
    > --
    > Chris Mayhew using Xnews !

    If yours logs back on after a time then youre probbaly right about it being
    an ISP thing. My customers whose router goes to sleep is with Xtra. They
    have to reboot it also. Its damn annoying as it generally happens when you
    really need to get something off the net LOL

    Rider, Aug 22, 2003
  7. Chris Mayhew

    Col^ Guest

    On Fri, 22 Aug 2003 13:59:49 +1200, "Rider"
    <> wrote:

    >"Chris Mayhew" <> wrote in message
    >> OK, just had one of these outages again on my Paradise Jetstart account
    >> connecting via a Dynalink RTA020 Router. Just sorting out some facts to
    >> figure the likely cause. So .....
    >>
    >> All the lights on the Router show it is working normally then all of a
    >> sudden there is no data flow. Can ping Router from PC so not my little

    >LAN
    >> at fault. While trying to use the browser I get time out errors - same
    >> with news and email. Wait 5 mins, still nothing so reboot Router and all
    >> is working fine again, same IP as well (so I assume mine wasn't transfered
    >> to someone elses use). Talked to friend in same building who has ADSL

    >with
    >> Xtra and theres is working fine (so I assume it's not the local exchange)
    >>
    >> This only leaves Paradise, right ?, as sugested in a previous thread. So
    >> can I assume it is the authentication server given that news and email
    >> times out as well ? - dispite the fact that email can time out by it's

    >self
    >> while browsing is not causing problems.
    >>
    >> TIA
    >> --
    >> Chris Mayhew using Xnews !

    >Some people have found that firmware upgrades have helped stabilise the
    >router, but not all people. Try a firmware upgrade.
    >
    >Rider

    It is a problem for many users regardless of the router /modem they use .

    --

    Col

    Col's law.
    Thinly sliced cabbage..