    In any case the patent in question seems a fizzer - prior art
    abounds. Doubt whether there is even a corresponding patent in NZ, so
    Kiwis are not affected anyway.

    peterwn, Oct 22, 2007

  2. peterwn

    thingy Guest

    peterwn wrote:
    > See:
    > http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=20071020193753215
    >
    > "Guess who has Acacia Research, the parent of IP Innovation, now suing
    > Red Hat and Novell over alleged patent infringement, in their
    > portfolio, or at least demonstrably did in 2006? Baystar [PDF]. What a
    > small world. Who'd think that the very same Baystar, whose Lawrence
    > Goldfarb told the court in the SCO v. IBM litigation that it was
    > Microsoft that induced it to invest in SCO would also be an investor
    > in the company now attacking Red Hat and Novell? "
    >
    > Speaks for itself doesn't it.
    >
    > In any case the patent in question seems a fizzer - prior art
    > abounds. Doubt whether there is even a corresponding patent in NZ, so
    > Kiwis are not affected anyway.

    There is also only about a year to go on this patent before it expires,
    so taking aside whether it is legit or not, it is un-likely there would
    be an injunction stopping Red Hat or Novell's business...As for triple
    damages etc, again RH and Novell package and distribute applications and
    not write them.....so just how liable should RH and Novell be?

    Then there is the case itself and as you say heaps of prior art, then
    the Supreme's courts decision on obviousness, then such issues as
    permissible reverse engineering....

    Given how aggressive these IP clowns are if this is their best
    shot....big deal....it wont run outside the US anyway.

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Oct 22, 2007

  3. peterwn

    thingy Guest

    thingy wrote:
    > peterwn wrote:
    >> See:
    >> http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=20071020193753215
    >>
    >> "Guess who has Acacia Research, the parent of IP Innovation, now suing
    >> Red Hat and Novell over alleged patent infringement, in their
    >> portfolio, or at least demonstrably did in 2006? Baystar [PDF]. What a
    >> small world. Who'd think that the very same Baystar, whose Lawrence
    >> Goldfarb told the court in the SCO v. IBM litigation that it was
    >> Microsoft that induced it to invest in SCO would also be an investor
    >> in the company now attacking Red Hat and Novell? "
    >>
    >> Speaks for itself doesn't it.
    >>
    >> In any case the patent in question seems a fizzer - prior art
    >> abounds. Doubt whether there is even a corresponding patent in NZ, so
    >> Kiwis are not affected anyway.
    >>

    > There is also only about a year to go on this patent before it expires,
    > so taking aside whether it is legit or not, it is un-likely there would
    > be an injunction stopping Red Hat or Novell's business...As for triple
    > damages etc, again RH and Novell package and distribute applications and
    > not write them.....so just how liable should RH and Novell be?
    >
    > Then there is the case itself and as you say heaps of prior art, then
    > the Supreme's courts decision on obviousness, then such issues as
    > permissible reverse engineering....
    >
    > Given how aggressive these IP clowns are if this is their best
    > shot....big deal....it wont run outside the US anyway.
    >
    > regards
    >
    > Thing

    I also looked at some stuff on u-tube, seems xerox pretty much gave away
    the gui and its features....this is early 1970s. the mind boggles as to
    why this "IP" even gets off first base....

    I guess thats where greed takes over from inovation and real creativity.

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Oct 22, 2007