  1. Hmmm...

    http://lobby4linux.com/WordPress/?p=94

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, May 13, 2006

  2. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    thingy Guest

    thingy, May 13, 2006

  3. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Kris Kirk Guest

    thingy wrote:
    > give it a rest....FFS.

    I don't think he can. I'm no psychologist but I think he feels so
    guilty about willingly using Microsoft products almost every day that
    he feels justified in spamming this group.

    Anyone out there working for a company free of Microsoft products wanna
    give the guy a job? Pleaseeeee???

    Kris
    Kris Kirk, May 13, 2006
  4. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Rebel Lord Guest

    Kris Kirk wrote:

    > thingy wrote:
    >> give it a rest....FFS.

    > I don't think he can. I'm no psychologist but I think he feels so
    > guilty about willingly using Microsoft products almost every day that
    > he feels justified in spamming this group.
    >
    > Anyone out there working for a company free of Microsoft products wanna
    > give the guy a job? Pleaseeeee???
    >
    > Kris

    Actually I'm starting to believe he's actually a Microsft employee, his
    supposedly pro linux rants are doing far more to turn off potential users
    than anything Bill or Steve ever did. If you really believe in open source
    Tea and want to see it do better then shutting up would achieve far more
    than your puerile immature spoutings.
    Rebel Lord, May 13, 2006
  5. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Kris Kirk Guest

    Rebel Lord wrote:
    > Actually I'm starting to believe he's actually a Microsft employee, his
    > supposedly pro linux rants are doing far more to turn off potential users
    > than anything Bill or Steve ever did. If you really believe in open source
    > Tea and want to see it do better then shutting up would achieve far more
    > than your puerile immature spoutings.

    Yeah that's true actually. Bloody Microsoft and their clever marketing
    dept!

    Hey I wonder if Clare Swinney over in nz.general is actually an
    employee of the US govt? Her conspiracy theories are so outrageous that
    her constant spouting actually makes people dismiss them
    altogether.....

    Kris
    Kris Kirk, May 13, 2006
  6. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On 13 May 2006 03:32:21 -0700, "Kris Kirk" <>
    exclaimed:

    >thingy wrote:
    >> give it a rest....FFS.

    >I don't think he can. I'm no psychologist but I think he feels so
    >guilty about willingly using Microsoft products almost every day that
    >he feels justified in spamming this group.
    >
    >Anyone out there working for a company free of Microsoft products wanna
    >give the guy a job? Pleaseeeee???

    Is there such a thing? ;-)
    Fred Dagg, May 13, 2006
  7. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    bambam Guest

    thingy <> wrote in news:k2igj3-56g.ln1
    @news.thing.dyndns.org:

    > Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:
    >> Hmmm...
    >>
    >> http://lobby4linux.com/WordPress/?p=94
    >>

    >> Have A Nice Cup of Tea
    >>

    > give it a rest....FFS.

    Considering that 3 days ago we had an MS employee playing word games with
    DRM, I thought that the link was interesting.

    Thanks for reposting, I don't normally see Cup of Tea's posts. ;)

    --
    Calling Atheism a religion is like calling bald a hair color.

    bambam, May 13, 2006
  8. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Kris Kirk Guest

    bambam wrote:
    > Considering that 3 days ago we had an MS employee playing word games with
    > DRM, I thought that the link was interesting.

    See what I mean Tea? If that was an interesting link, I and I'm sure a
    lot of other people sure as hell missed it because we just ignored it!

    Kris
    Kris Kirk, May 13, 2006
  9. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    BrianM Guest

    On Sat, 13 May 2006 18:12:08 +1000, Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:

    > Hmmm...
    >
    > http://lobby4linux.com/WordPress/?p=94
    >

    > Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    interesting opinion piece.
    Bent Congressmen aside, I'm reminded that there sure are a lot of
    hackers/crackers out there who love challenges.

    --
    cheers
    Brian./M
    BrianM, May 13, 2006
  10. On Sat, 13 May 2006 04:41:03 -0700, Kris Kirk wrote:

    > I and I'm sure a
    > lot of other people sure as hell missed it because we just ignored it!

    ....as if I cared about what you choose to ignore!

    If you choose to read it - fine.
    If you choose not to read it - fine.

    I suggest that if my posts are that much of a concept for you, then you
    should put me in your killfile. I invite you to do so - I suspect you'll
    be much happier!

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, May 13, 2006
  11. On Sat, 13 May 2006 12:05:04 +0000, BrianM wrote:

    > interesting opinion piece.

    Indeed so. :eek:)

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, May 13, 2006
  12. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    thingy Guest

    Kris Kirk wrote:
    > Rebel Lord wrote:
    >
    >> Actually I'm starting to believe he's actually a Microsft employee, his
    >>supposedly pro linux rants are doing far more to turn off potential users
    >>than anything Bill or Steve ever did. If you really believe in open source
    >>Tea and want to see it do better then shutting up would achieve far more
    >>than your puerile immature spoutings.

    > Yeah that's true actually. Bloody Microsoft and their clever marketing
    > dept!
    >
    > Hey I wonder if Clare Swinney over in nz.general is actually an
    > employee of the US govt? Her conspiracy theories are so outrageous that
    > her constant spouting actually makes people dismiss them
    > altogether.....
    >
    > Kris

    She/he/it made it to my kill file....not even redbaiter is in there....

    ;]

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, May 13, 2006
  13. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    thingy Guest

    bambam wrote:
    > thingy <> wrote in news:k2igj3-56g.ln1
    > @news.thing.dyndns.org:
    >

    >>Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hmmm...
    >>>
    >>>http://lobby4linux.com/WordPress/?p=94
    >>>

    >>>Have A Nice Cup of Tea
    >>>

    >>give it a rest....FFS.

    > Considering that 3 days ago we had an MS employee playing word games with
    > DRM, I thought that the link was interesting.

    > Thanks for reposting, I don't normally see Cup of Tea's posts. ;)

    yes well.....Nathan is a MS drone......if the DRM cr*p is as bad as
    independant journalists/sites say....MS could be in or a shock over
    Vista sales.....

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, May 13, 2006
  14. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Kris Kirk Guest

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:
    > ...as if I cared about what you choose to ignore!
    >
    > If you choose to read it - fine.
    > If you choose not to read it - fine.
    >
    > I suggest that if my posts are that much of a concept for you, then you
    > should put me in your killfile. I invite you to do so - I suspect you'll
    > be much happier!

    I guess you can take the 'I don't care what other people think, I'll
    post what I like' attitude if you want, it's your right. But just
    consider this:

    a) Those of us who use web-based newsreader like Google Groups don't
    have a kill file.

    b) Adding you to a kill file does not prevent other people's posts from
    showing up when they reply to your post.

    c) Think about the reason you are posting those articles. Is it purely
    a carthartic experience for you, or are you trying to show people how
    bad Microsoft are? If the latter, then I would suggest a rethink in
    your approach. If it's just because it makes you feel better, then I
    guess that's your right too but you might want to think about the
    bigger picture. You can do Microsoft more damage by showing Microsoft
    users what they're missing out on in a more constructive manner. Your
    current approach does Linux no good and Microsoft no harm - you're
    merely annoying people in this newsgroup.

    Anyway, up to you I guess. Just my 2c worth.

    Kris
    Kris Kirk, May 13, 2006
  15. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Steve Guest

    On Sat, 13 May 2006 23:29:03 +1200, Fred Dagg wrote:

    > On 13 May 2006 03:32:21 -0700, "Kris Kirk" <>
    > exclaimed:
    >
    >>thingy wrote:
    >>> give it a rest....FFS.

    >>I don't think he can. I'm no psychologist but I think he feels so
    >>guilty about willingly using Microsoft products almost every day that
    >>he feels justified in spamming this group.
    >>
    >>Anyone out there working for a company free of Microsoft products wanna
    >>give the guy a job? Pleaseeeee???

    > Is there such a thing? ;-)

    Yes, thanks.
    Steve, May 14, 2006
  16. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    thingy Guest

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:
    > Hmmm...
    >
    > http://lobby4linux.com/WordPress/?p=94
    >

    > Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    http://www.silicon.com/silicon/software/os/0,39024651,39158866,00.htm

    ISV's dont seem to love MS either.....bits I found interesting,

    "An ISV whose application runs on both Windows and Linux will often find
    that, when it ships an on-premise solution, Windows is the pragmatic
    choice for their customer - it is an operating system they are familiar
    with and can be more easily supported than Linux. However, when it comes
    to equipping their own data centre to provide their application as a
    service they more often turn to Linux."

    Pretty much borne out by what I have seen in the last year, the
    vendor/ISV asks what OS would you like and supplies what ever the
    customer prefers...Though more vendors/ISVs are saying Linux preferred,
    (just as some are still saying Windows prefered)....some good signs
    though that MS is not the automatic choice MS would like.....

    MS might need to work on its applications suppliers....or maybe they are
    and its not working...

    ;]

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, May 14, 2006
  17. On Sun, 14 May 2006 17:14:46 +1200, thingy wrote:

    > Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:
    >> Hmmm...
    >>
    >> http://lobby4linux.com/WordPress/?p=94
    >>

    >> Have A Nice Cup of Tea
    >>

    > http://www.silicon.com/silicon/software/os/0,39024651,39158866,00.htm
    >
    > ISV's dont seem to love MS either.....bits I found interesting,
    >
    > "An ISV whose application runs on both Windows and Linux will often find
    > that, when it ships an on-premise solution, Windows is the pragmatic
    > choice for their customer - it is an operating system they are familiar
    > with and can be more easily supported than Linux. However, when it comes
    > to equipping their own data centre to provide their application as a
    > service they more often turn to Linux."
    >
    > Pretty much borne out by what I have seen in the last year, the
    > vendor/ISV asks what OS would you like and supplies what ever the
    > customer prefers...Though more vendors/ISVs are saying Linux preferred,
    > (just as some are still saying Windows prefered)....some good signs
    > though that MS is not the automatic choice MS would like.....
    >
    > MS might need to work on its applications suppliers....or maybe they are
    > and its not working...

    Thanks for posting the URL, Thing. Very interesting article.

    Yes - very interesting that they preferred Linux inhouse and for large
    scale deployment, but would deliver on the MS Windows platform for small
    companies, being what they are familiar with.

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, May 14, 2006
  18. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    thingy Guest

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:
    > On Sun, 14 May 2006 17:14:46 +1200, thingy wrote:
    >

    >>Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hmmm...
    >>>
    >>>http://lobby4linux.com/WordPress/?p=94
    >>>

    >>>Have A Nice Cup of Tea
    >>>

    >>http://www.silicon.com/silicon/software/os/0,39024651,39158866,00.htm
    >>
    >>ISV's dont seem to love MS either.....bits I found interesting,
    >>
    >>"An ISV whose application runs on both Windows and Linux will often find
    >>that, when it ships an on-premise solution, Windows is the pragmatic
    >>choice for their customer - it is an operating system they are familiar
    >>with and can be more easily supported than Linux. However, when it comes
    >>to equipping their own data centre to provide their application as a
    >>service they more often turn to Linux."
    >>
    >>Pretty much borne out by what I have seen in the last year, the
    >>vendor/ISV asks what OS would you like and supplies what ever the
    >>customer prefers...Though more vendors/ISVs are saying Linux preferred,
    >>(just as some are still saying Windows prefered)....some good signs
    >>though that MS is not the automatic choice MS would like.....
    >>
    >>MS might need to work on its applications suppliers....or maybe they are
    >> and its not working...

    > Thanks for posting the URL, Thing. Very interesting article.
    >
    > Yes - very interesting that they preferred Linux inhouse and for large
    > scale deployment, but would deliver on the MS Windows platform for small
    > companies, being what they are familiar with.
    >

    > Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Not even small, IMHO, EDS I would expect to deliver on a MS platform,
    one of the big reasons I left (no new work). At least where I work now
    there is less of a bias. My plan at the moment is, if I can, influence
    the quality control for new work to document why the OS or application
    was chosen, ie the thought process down on paper, once this happens a
    vague answer/choice cannot be defended and I will get the playing field
    more level still. Basically because our BAs lack the experience/breadth
    of knowledge out there, once this is documented I can ask why such and
    such an application was not looked at, where is the matrix used to score
    each application showing a clear winner? etc etc....The " I'm not
    picking OSS/Linux because I dont undertsand" it wont cut it....Of course
    the other biggee, delivering with OSS/Linux on time and to cost will
    also play a big part.....

    ;]

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, May 14, 2006
  19. On Mon, 15 May 2006 07:09:13 +1200, thingy wrote:

    > Not even small, IMHO, EDS I would expect to deliver on a MS platform,

    EDS is both a company that people don't want to work for, and also a
    Micro$oft shop.

    From what I can gather, the reason why people don't want to work for EDS
    is that the management culture is abrasively caustic to the staff who get
    things done efficiently.

    > one of the big reasons I left (no new work). At least where I work now
    > there is less of a bias. My plan at the moment is, if I can, influence
    > the quality control for new work to document why the OS or application
    > was chosen, ie the thought process down on paper, once this happens a
    > vague answer/choice cannot be defended and I will get the playing field
    > more level still. Basically because our BAs lack the experience/breadth
    > of knowledge out there, once this is documented I can ask why such and
    > such an application was not looked at, where is the matrix used to score
    > each application showing a clear winner? etc etc....The " I'm not
    > picking OSS/Linux because I dont undertsand" it wont cut it....Of course
    > the other biggee, delivering with OSS/Linux on time and to cost will
    > also play a big part.....

    When implementing a change of any sort to the IT infrastructure, there
    should be a clear workflow to be done in order to implement the change.
    A part of that workflow should be the business justification (including
    the justification of the particular choice of software), and the approval
    of the IT department that would have to implement the change.

    That workflow should be universally applied to any non standard, non
    pre-approved change to any part of the IT infrastructure.

    With that process in place, the IT department will be able to more
    effectively manage the various systems, and likewise keep a better control
    on expenditure.

    Also, the IT department would be able to plan hardware and software
    licencing requirements to ensure things happen on time.

    There is no good reason why changes to infrastructure cannot be scheduled
    a month ahead of time - unless it is a seriously urgent change like an
    emergency.

    Changes to an IT system with less than a fortnights notice are really only
    caused by incompetance, or laziness - unless it's a customer that comes
    along and demands something at short notice - but then that customer
    should expect to pay through the nose for such exemplery service.

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, May 15, 2006