    that. The real question is, 'Is Microsoft capable of honesty?' And if you
    decide - as I have - that they are not, the next question becomes, 'Do I
    really want to do business with, to trust my business to, a company like that?'"
    A Nice Cup of Tea, Feb 20, 2006

  2. A Nice Cup of Tea

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <>, says...
    > http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/02/20/microsoft_piracy_clampdown/
    >
    > One question:
    >
    > If Micro$oft knows what percentage of computers in the UK have pirated
    > software installed, would it not, therefore, also know where to find those
    > particular computers, that is, if it knows what is installed on those
    > computers?
    >
    > And if that be the case, why can't Micro$oft reduce the number of PCs
    > running pirated software completely down to zero?
    >
    > Or IOW, Micro$oft is again ejaculating large piles of runny, brown,
    > stinking FUD.
    >

    > A Nice Cup of Tea

    .... added to Bozo bin.
    Dave Doe, Feb 20, 2006

  3. A Nice Cup of Tea

    Mutlley Guest

    A Nice Cup of Tea <> wrote:

    >http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/02/20/microsoft_piracy_clampdown/
    >
    >One question:
    >
    >If Micro$oft knows what percentage of computers in the UK have pirated
    >software installed, would it not, therefore, also know where to find those
    >particular computers, that is, if it knows what is installed on those
    >computers?
    >
    >And if that be the case, why can't Micro$oft reduce the number of PCs
    >running pirated software completely down to zero?
    >
    >Or IOW, Micro$oft is again ejaculating large piles of runny, brown,
    >stinking FUD.
    >

    >A Nice Cup of Tea

    Most likely using the same market research company that the RIAA uses
    for lack of CD sales..
    Mutlley, Feb 20, 2006
  4. A Nice Cup of Tea

    thingy Guest

    A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:
    > http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/02/20/microsoft_piracy_clampdown/
    >
    > One question:
    >
    > If Micro$oft knows what percentage of computers in the UK have pirated
    > software installed, would it not, therefore, also know where to find those
    > particular computers, that is, if it knows what is installed on those
    > computers?
    >
    > And if that be the case, why can't Micro$oft reduce the number of PCs
    > running pirated software completely down to zero?
    >
    > Or IOW, Micro$oft is again ejaculating large piles of runny, brown,
    > stinking FUD.
    >

    > A Nice Cup of Tea

    Probably based on the BSA's figures, which can be best described as
    based on absolutely no facts what so ever except PR spin to try to get
    Governments to fork out for civil action costs....

    Classic is bare computers sold without an OS, BSA assumes these will be
    having a pirated MS OS installed....

    We buy bare Servers as Dell cannot support Redhat, we get 3 year
    contracts directly off RH. That is probably 20~25%+ of our server buys....

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, Feb 21, 2006
  5. On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 12:50:07 +1300, Mutlley wrote:

    >>http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/02/20/microsoft_piracy_clampdown/
    >>
    >>One question:
    >>
    >>If Micro$oft knows what percentage of computers in the UK have pirated
    >>software installed, would it not, therefore, also know where to find
    >>those particular computers, that is, if it knows what is installed on
    >>those computers?
    >>
    >>And if that be the case, why can't Micro$oft reduce the number of PCs
    >>running pirated software completely down to zero?
    >>
    >>Or IOW, Micro$oft is again ejaculating large piles of runny, brown,
    >>stinking FUD.

    > Most likely using the same market research company that the RIAA uses for
    > lack of CD sales.

    Yeah. Probably. Would that be Creative Research Ltd, 28 Pinoccio Lyne,
    Pakkabullship city, in the state of Lalaland?

    A Nice Cup of Tea

    --
    A: because it messes up threading
    Q: why should I not reply by top-posting?
    A Nice Cup of Tea, Feb 21, 2006
  6. A Nice Cup of Tea

    whoisthis Guest

    In article <>,
    A Nice Cup of Tea <> wrote:

    > http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/02/20/microsoft_piracy_clampdown/
    >
    > One question:
    >
    > If Micro$oft knows what percentage of computers in the UK have pirated
    > software installed, would it not, therefore, also know where to find those
    > particular computers, that is, if it knows what is installed on those
    > computers?
    >
    > And if that be the case, why can't Micro$oft reduce the number of PCs
    > running pirated software completely down to zero?
    >
    > Or IOW, Micro$oft is again ejaculating large piles of runny, brown,
    > stinking FUD.

    Um, I guess its like how DOC counts the number of Kiwi, Takahe, etc,
    they do spot counts and estimate based on some formula.

    They would be able to get guestimates based on web sites commonly
    visited and then what browser etc are used.

    If nothing else its as realiable as the estimates that linux uses to
    justify their existance.
    whoisthis, Feb 21, 2006
  7. On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 19:16:36 +1300, whoisthis wrote:

    > If nothing else its as realiable as the estimates that linux uses to
    > justify their existance.

    You mean estimates based on statements like: "I have been using Linux for
    five years now, initially only as my router/firewall, but now all my
    desktop boxes run Linux. I've got an old Windows box lying around
    somewhere, but its keyboard has been used on my FreeBSD box."

    A Nice Cup of Tea

    --
    Free software on every PC on every desk.
    A Nice Cup of Tea, Feb 21, 2006
  8. A Nice Cup of Tea

    SchoolTech Guest

    A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:
    > http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/02/20/microsoft_piracy_clampdown/
    >
    > One question:
    >
    > If Micro$oft knows what percentage of computers in the UK have pirated
    > software installed, would it not, therefore, also know where to find those
    > particular computers, that is, if it knows what is installed on those
    > computers?
    >
    > And if that be the case, why can't Micro$oft reduce the number of PCs
    > running pirated software completely down to zero?
    >
    > Or IOW, Micro$oft is again ejaculating large piles of runny, brown,
    > stinking FUD.

    Or you don't know what you are on about.
    SchoolTech, Feb 21, 2006