    Thx,

    Ben
    , Aug 26, 2005

  2. GTO Guest

    Good work!

    Gregor

    GTO, Aug 26, 2005

  3. wrote:
    > Anyone else out there using this lens with your digital camera? Mine
    > is reverse-mounted to my D70s, and I am using the built in flash. I've
    > had moderate success, but I was curious as to how some of you might be
    > doing your macro work. I would like get a bit more detail. My macro
    > gallery can be seen here:
    >
    > http://www.pbase.com/sirchandestroy/macro
    >
    > Thx,
    >
    > Ben

    Thanks for the inspiration. I just bought a D70 last week. So far I
    only took one macro exposure as a test. Looks like you have a
    reasonable amount of success in this area. Good work.

    -gdg
    Mr. G. D. Geen, Aug 26, 2005
  4. Guest

    GTO wrote:
    > Good work!
    >
    > Gregor

    Thanks, I appreciate that. But I'm really looking to ratchet it up to
    hte next level, if that is possible with this lens. If anyone has any
    tips on how they are using their 55mm MF Micro Nikkor, shoot me an
    email or post, please!

    Ben
    , Aug 26, 2005
  5. Deedee Tee Guest

    On 26 Aug 2005 06:11:18 -0700, wrote:

    >Thanks, I appreciate that. But I'm really looking to ratchet it up to
    >hte next level, if that is possible with this lens. If anyone has any
    >tips on how they are using their 55mm MF Micro Nikkor, shoot me an
    >email or post, please!
    >
    >Ben

    I don't have the 55 (I shoot macro with a Micro Nikkor 60 and a Sigma
    Apo Macro 180, plus a few non-standard "things"), but the next step
    would be to mount the 55 reversed on extension tubes or bellows. You
    could also use the 55 (reversed or not) on a 2x FL multiplier to
    double the magnification without decreasing the working distance
    (well, it might not be exactly double with a reversed lens).
    Deedee Tee, Aug 26, 2005
  6. Guest

    Deedee Tee wrote:
    > On 26 Aug 2005 06:11:18 -0700, wrote:
    >
    > >Thanks, I appreciate that. But I'm really looking to ratchet it up to
    > >hte next level, if that is possible with this lens. If anyone has any
    > >tips on how they are using their 55mm MF Micro Nikkor, shoot me an
    > >email or post, please!
    > >
    > >Ben

    > I don't have the 55 (I shoot macro with a Micro Nikkor 60 and a Sigma
    > Apo Macro 180, plus a few non-standard "things"), but the next step
    > would be to mount the 55 reversed on extension tubes or bellows. You
    > could also use the 55 (reversed or not) on a 2x FL multiplier to
    > double the magnification without decreasing the working distance
    > (well, it might not be exactly double with a reversed lens).

    Bellows are prety pricey, IIRC, right? Will the extension tubes give
    me greater magnification? If so, how much? And yeah, I would keep the
    reverse-mount in play, as that has helped greatly...

    Thx,

    Ben
    , Aug 26, 2005
  7. Deedee Tee Guest

    On 26 Aug 2005 09:22:39 -0700, wrote:

    >Bellows are prety pricey, IIRC, right? Will the extension tubes give
    >me greater magnification? If so, how much? And yeah, I would keep the
    >reverse-mount in play, as that has helped greatly...
    >
    >Thx,
    >
    >Ben

    I bought a second-hand Nikon PB-5 for about 40 $, including the slide
    copier add-on, but I have seen second-hand prices up to 200 $ (IMHO
    far too much) for the PB-5 alone. Magnification with extension tubes
    depends on the length of the tubes (and the FL of the lens). With a
    non-reversed lens, a ring of about 27mm plus the focusing helicoid of
    the lens should give you 1:1. Above that it is better to reverse the
    lens, but since I don't have it, I am unable to tell you what
    magnification you will get. A set of three extension tubes of
    different lengths stacked on top of each other with a reversed 55
    should take you well beyond 1:1, probably close to 2x. The working
    distance between the lens and the subject probably will be around
    4-5cm.
    Deedee Tee, Aug 26, 2005
  8. GTO Guest

    What do you mean by "next level"? Do you want to improve the quality of your
    images or increase the magnification? If you want to improve the
    magnification, that's easy. Just mount a 20mm in reverse onto a 200mm fixed
    focal length and you get a pretty useless 10:1. Or use a microscope to get
    even more. If you insist to use your 55mm to go beyond 1:2, you just add
    extension tubes. But the quality is quickly vanishing and the working
    distance is just plain awful for critters.

    But the quest of enhancing the quality of your work, and we all should
    constantly strive to improve our skills, is a tough one. In close-up
    photography, I think 1:1 or 1:2 is all that's needed. Everything beyond this
    needs extremely good conditions (e.g. focusing rail, stable mount, external
    shutter to avoid even the vibrations due to mirror slap etc.). But to get
    better images of critters you should increase your working distance (e.g. by
    getting the 105mm or 180mm macro lenses.) - How about the hairs on a
    spider's leg? (http://www.pbase.com/overney/image/37061969.jpg).

    Gregor

    GTO, Aug 27, 2005