    any better macro P&S cameras out there?

    I don't want to lug around a heavy DSLR on my dirtbike.

    NM
    ~~NoMad~~, Jul 17, 2007

  2. ~~NoMad~~ wrote

    > I'm looking for a small P&S camera that does real close-up macro
    > photography.

    I have been impressed with the super macro capability of the
    Fuji E5xx compacts.

    Chris
    Chris Gilbert, Jul 17, 2007

  3. ~~NoMad~~ wrote:
    > Greetings,
    >
    > I'm looking for a small P&S camera that does real close-up macro
    > photography. I have a Panasonic TZ1 but its macro capability is
    > limited to about a 3 inch wide field of view. I would like to get
    > closer in. Are there any better macro P&S cameras out there?
    >
    > I don't want to lug around a heavy DSLR on my dirtbike.
    >
    > NM

    One of the best small-sensor cameras for macro, but not out of production,
    is the Nikon Coolpix 990.

    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikoncp990/

    Might be worth looking for a second-hand one. The field width in macro
    mode is 19mm.

    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikoncp990/page12.asp

    David
    David J Taylor, Jul 17, 2007
  4. ~~NoMad~~

    SMS Guest

    David J Taylor wrote:
    > ~~NoMad~~ wrote:
    >> Greetings,
    >>
    >> I'm looking for a small P&S camera that does real close-up macro
    >> photography. I have a Panasonic TZ1 but its macro capability is
    >> limited to about a 3 inch wide field of view. I would like to get
    >> closer in. Are there any better macro P&S cameras out there?
    >>
    >> I don't want to lug around a heavy DSLR on my dirtbike.
    >>
    >> NM

    > One of the best small-sensor cameras for macro, but not out of production,
    > is the Nikon Coolpix 990.
    >
    > http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikoncp990/
    >
    > Might be worth looking for a second-hand one. The field width in macro
    > mode is 19mm.
    >
    > http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikoncp990/page12.asp

    It's strange that it was the older cameras that have such good macro
    capability.

    The Nikon's Coolpix 4500 is another good choice. The Fuji S7000 too. All
    are out of production of course.

    The Nikon P5000 goes down to 4cm, about 1.6", maybe that's good enough
    for the op. The P3 also goes down to 4cm.

    The P5000 is about $350. Pluses are the optical viewfinder and the
    Li-Ion battery, as well as the fairly good macro capability. See the
    full review at
    "http://dcresource.com/reviews/nikon/coolpix_p5000-review/index.shtml#buynow".

    The Canon G7 goes down to 1cm, but it's expensive, the older G series
    don't go down nearly as far.

    The used swivel lens Nikon P&S cameras seem to be cult cameras, and
    fetch high prices on the used market. I guess I waited to long to sell
    my cult Olympus XA.
    SMS, Jul 17, 2007