    something smaller that is more convenient to use for quick pics.

    Any ideas or leads would be appreciated.

    TravisMLC
    TravisMLC, Jun 27, 2004

  2. TravisMLC wrote:

    > On the same topic, what digital cameras for taking macro shots of my
    > work would people recommend. I've been impressed with Nikon 5400s. I
    > have a D100 with a Nikkor Macro 105 lens that's great, but I'd like
    > something smaller that is more convenient to use for quick pics.
    >
    > Any ideas or leads would be appreciated.
    >
    > TravisMLC

    I don't think you are going to find anything that is going to do a
    really good job without a dedicated macro lens like the Nikkor you listed.
    I believe you are going to be limited to dSLRs for that.

    Many digital non-SLRs have a macro mode that will allow fair images of
    close work.

    --
    Joseph E. Meehan

    26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
    Joseph Meehan, Jun 27, 2004

  3. "TravisMLC" <> wrote in message
    > I have a unique application that I'd like some advice about. I'm an
    > engraver who uses a binocular microscope while engraving. I would
    > like to mount a camera to the microscope that could be attached to an
    > LCD screen so I can teach others how to engrave. I'm thinking of
    > something like a spy camera or a security camera because it needs to
    > be small and generate a continuous feed. Color and high resolution
    > are key.

    Many people have used the Nikon 990 for similar applications. You might
    want to ask your question here:

    Cheers,
    David
    David J Taylor, Jun 27, 2004
  4. TravisMLC

    RSD99 Guest

    "TravisMLC" posted:
    "...
    I would
    like to mount a camera to the microscope that could be attached to an
    LCD screen so I can teach others how to engrave. I'm thinking of
    something like a spy camera or a security camera because it needs to
    be small and generate a continuous feed. Color and high resolution
    are key.
    ...."

    Contact the manufacturer of your microscope system (Nikon, Olympus, Leitz, etcetera). They
    probably already have all of the equipment, attachment(s), and accessories to do that as
    standard catalog items. [I know that Olympus did as far back as the mid 1980s]
    RSD99, Jun 27, 2004
  5. TravisMLC wrote:

    >I would
    >like to mount a camera to the microscope that could be attached to an
    >LCD screen so I can teach others how to engrave.

    there is a "toy" microscope on the market which the leading US expert on
    blackpowder uses to determine content, etc. he makes pictures, etc, it feeds to
    just about any PC as a USB peripheral, etc. it may be too micro for your work
    and I am not sure that it could be used at the same time you are cutting.

    but, it is an alternative.
    also, I do a lot of MACRO with my 300D, with tube extenders, and the very
    excellent Canon macro lenses. the proverbial grain of rice filling the
    viewscreen as it were.

    fwiw
    --
    chas
    The new Canon DSLR elist. no trolls, etc

    schuetzen - RKBA!, Jun 27, 2004
  6. In article <>,
    says...
    > I have a unique application that I'd like some advice about. I'm an
    > engraver who uses a binocular microscope while engraving. I would
    > like to mount a camera to the microscope that could be attached to an
    > LCD screen so I can teach others how to engrave. I'm thinking of
    > something like a spy camera or a security camera because it needs to
    > be small and generate a continuous feed. Color and high resolution
    > are key.

    Check out any current astronomy magazine. They are full of ad's for
    eyepiece mounted digital cameras.
    Grant Robertson, Jun 29, 2004
  7. TravisMLC

    Ray Fischer Guest

    TravisMLC <> wrote:
    >I have a unique application that I'd like some advice about. I'm an
    >engraver who uses a binocular microscope while engraving. I would
    >like to mount a camera to the microscope that could be attached to an
    >LCD screen so I can teach others how to engrave. I'm thinking of
    >something like a spy camera or a security camera because it needs to
    >be small and generate a continuous feed. Color and high resolution
    >are key.

    There are many microscopes available that have a mount for a
    video camera. Shop around. It's standard hardware.

    >Ultimately, I'd love to be able to record some of this stuff, either
    >as a movie file or in still frames.

    Or on a VCR?

    --
    Ray Fischer