Micro Advantage Super Drive is crap

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Donald Link, Aug 31, 2004.

  1. Donald Link

    Donald Link Guest

    After buying this drive and exchanging it twice because I could not
    use it with Nero and worked only with the inclosed Roxio Easy Creator
    6 which is another crap program for burning. The reason I exchanged
    it was I could not back up any DVDs using DVD shrink or even Nero or
    the enclosed Roxio software. Even DVDs that were not copy protected
    would not back up. Finally, after going to their site and reading up
    the included information was:

    NOTE ON COPYING DVD MOVIES:

    Duplicating copyrighted DVD movies is unlawful.
    For this reason the Roxio software packaged with your drive will NOT
    allow duplucation of DVDs. This is neither a software error nor a
    hardware malfunction. Please refer comments to

    DVD±RW 8X Superdrive
    8x DVD+R/ 4x DVD-R Write, 4x DVD+RW/2x DVD-RW Rewrite speed,
    12X DVD-ROM Read speed
    40X CD-R, 24X CD-RW Write/Rewrite speed, 40X CD-ROM Read speed
    Supports easy drag & drop function
    Maintains the compatibility with CD-R/RW writing
    Equipped with MTKSuperLink to prevent buffer underrun errors
    for CD & DVD writing
    Bundled with an extensive software package

    So it looks like it is the only drive I ran across so far that will
    not allow backing up DVDs. Has anyone used this drive to back up
    movies with DVD shrink or even using Nero software.

    The funny thing about this is that Micro Advantage does not list the
    non ability to back up DVDs on the box. Probably because they knew
    they would not be able to sell on frigging drive if they did. This
    may be something of things to come that the consumer has to watch out
    for.

    Donald Link, Aug 31, 2004

  2. On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 00:28:36 GMT, Donald Link <>
    wrote:

    >After buying this drive and exchanging it twice because I could not
    >use it with Nero and worked only with the inclosed Roxio Easy Creator
    >6 which is another crap program for burning. The reason I exchanged
    >it was I could not back up any DVDs using DVD shrink or even Nero or
    >the enclosed Roxio software. Even DVDs that were not copy protected
    >would not back up. Finally, after going to their site and reading up
    >the included information was:
    >
    >NOTE ON COPYING DVD MOVIES:
    >
    >Duplicating copyrighted DVD movies is unlawful.
    >For this reason the Roxio software packaged with your drive will NOT
    >allow duplucation of DVDs. This is neither a software error nor a
    >hardware malfunction. Please refer comments to

    There are FREE utilities such as DVDshrink and DVDdecypter designed
    for copying DVDs. That's what we all use. Of COURSE the provided
    commercial softare won't do that! It's nothing to do with the drive.
    Heck the best way to buy drives is as OEM without any
    Software/shovelware.

    ... Steve .

    Steve(JazzHunter), Aug 31, 2004