Michigan Man Fined for Using Coffee Shop's Wi-Fi Network

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Clancy Wiggum, Jun 1, 2007.

  1. Clancy Wiggum, Jun 1, 2007

  2. Clancy Wiggum

    WhzzKdd Guest

    "Clancy Wiggum" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > What a load of crap:

    Hmmm. I hate it. But I understand it.

    In fact, yesterday at work one of our employees told me he updates the AV
    software on his personal laptop by bringing to work and connecting to a
    local unsecured WiFi network. I told him that wasn't a good idea, and NOT to
    do that with any company laptops. Now I have something on paper to hand him
    which reinforces my position. I'm not in Michigan, but the concept still
    applies.
    WhzzKdd, Jun 1, 2007

  3. WhzzKdd wrote:

    >"Clancy Wiggum" <> wrote in message
    >> What a load of crap:
    >>
    >> http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,276720,00.html
    >>

    >Hmmm. I hate it. But I understand it.
    >
    >In fact, yesterday at work one of our employees told me he updates the AV
    >software on his personal laptop by bringing to work and connecting to a
    >local unsecured WiFi network. I told him that wasn't a good idea, and NOT to
    >do that with any company laptops. Now I have something on paper to hand him
    >which reinforces my position. I'm not in Michigan, but the concept still
    >applies.

    My problem is with the overzealous police and prosecutors for going
    after this guy. The police chief and prosecutor both admitted they
    had no knowledge an alleged crime had been committed until they
    researched and found some law that was obviously not intended to
    target this unfortunate victim.

    If you leave your WIFI AP open, be prepared to accept connections.
    Windows OS by default will connect to "any available" network, so if
    your laptop is on - and your drive into a parking lot that has signal,
    you've just committed a felony according to Michigan. So I submit
    that the onus is on the owner of the wireless AP to secure it.

    What baffles me more is the coffee shop said no harm was done, yet the
    state is going ahead with charges. Wouldn't this be a civil matter? I
    would like to think that the owner of the network would need to pursue
    damages, and press any criminal charges.
    Clancy Wiggum, Jun 1, 2007
  4. Clancy Wiggum

    > WhzzKdd wrote:
    >
    >>"Clancy Wiggum" <> wrote in message
    >>> What a load of crap:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,276720,00.html
    >>>

    >>Hmmm. I hate it. But I understand it.
    >>
    >>In fact, yesterday at work one of our employees told me he updates the AV
    >>software on his personal laptop by bringing to work and connecting to a
    >>local unsecured WiFi network. I told him that wasn't a good idea, and NOT
    >>do that with any company laptops. Now I have something on paper to hand
    >>him
    >>which reinforces my position. I'm not in Michigan, but the concept still
    >>applies.

    > My problem is with the overzealous police and prosecutors for going
    > after this guy. The police chief and prosecutor both admitted they
    > had no knowledge an alleged crime had been committed until they
    > researched and found some law that was obviously not intended to
    > target this unfortunate victim.
    >
    > If you leave your WIFI AP open, be prepared to accept connections.
    > Windows OS by default will connect to "any available" network, so if
    > your laptop is on - and your drive into a parking lot that has signal,
    > you've just committed a felony according to Michigan. So I submit
    > that the onus is on the owner of the wireless AP to secure it.
    >
    > What baffles me more is the coffee shop said no harm was done, yet the
    > state is going ahead with charges. Wouldn't this be a civil matter? I
    > would like to think that the owner of the network would need to pursue
    > damages, and press any criminal charges.

    Yeah, it is is ridiculous. Especially since the coffee shop INTENDED for it
    to be a form of public access (for customers, but an open connection is
    still open).
    WhzzKdd, Jun 1, 2007
  5. WhzzKdd wrote:

    >Yeah, it is is ridiculous. Especially since the coffee shop INTENDED for it
    >to be a form of public access (for customers, but an open connection is
    >still open).

    Furthermore, If Sam Peterson had -ever- bought a coffee or muffin
    from the shop, he *is* a customer.
    Clancy Wiggum, Jun 1, 2007
  6. Clancy Wiggum

    olfart Guest

    > "Clancy Wiggum" <> wrote in message
    >> WhzzKdd wrote:
    >>
    >>>"Clancy Wiggum" <> wrote in message

    >>>Hmmm. I hate it. But I understand it.
    >>>
    >>>In fact, yesterday at work one of our employees told me he updates the AV
    >>>software on his personal laptop by bringing to work and connecting to a
    >>>local unsecured WiFi network. I told him that wasn't a good idea, and NOT
    >>>do that with any company laptops. Now I have something on paper to hand
    >>>him
    >>>which reinforces my position. I'm not in Michigan, but the concept still
    >>>applies.

    >> My problem is with the overzealous police and prosecutors for going
    >> after this guy. The police chief and prosecutor both admitted they
    >> had no knowledge an alleged crime had been committed until they
    >> researched and found some law that was obviously not intended to
    >> target this unfortunate victim.
    >>
    >> If you leave your WIFI AP open, be prepared to accept connections.
    >> Windows OS by default will connect to "any available" network, so if
    >> your laptop is on - and your drive into a parking lot that has signal,
    >> you've just committed a felony according to Michigan. So I submit
    >> that the onus is on the owner of the wireless AP to secure it.
    >>
    >> What baffles me more is the coffee shop said no harm was done, yet the
    >> state is going ahead with charges. Wouldn't this be a civil matter? I
    >> would like to think that the owner of the network would need to pursue
    >> damages, and press any criminal charges.
    >>

    > Yeah, it is is ridiculous. Especially since the coffee shop INTENDED for
    > it to be a form of public access (for customers, but an open connection is
    > still open).

    If someone's open network spills over on to my property (car, etc) without
    my permission...can I get them for trespassing???
    olfart, Jun 1, 2007
  7. Clancy Wiggum

    WhzzKdd Guest

    "olfart" <> wrote in message

    > "WhzzKdd" <frack_this@email_is.invalid> wrote in message
    >> "Clancy Wiggum" <> wrote in message

    >>> My problem is with the overzealous police and prosecutors for going
    >>> after this guy. The police chief and prosecutor both admitted they
    >>> had no knowledge an alleged crime had been committed until they
    >>> researched and found some law that was obviously not intended to
    >>> target this unfortunate victim.
    >>>
    >>> If you leave your WIFI AP open, be prepared to accept connections.
    >>> Windows OS by default will connect to "any available" network, so if
    >>> your laptop is on - and your drive into a parking lot that has signal,
    >>> you've just committed a felony according to Michigan. So I submit
    >>> that the onus is on the owner of the wireless AP to secure it.
    >>>
    >>> What baffles me more is the coffee shop said no harm was done, yet the
    >>> state is going ahead with charges. Wouldn't this be a civil matter? I
    >>> would like to think that the owner of the network would need to pursue
    >>> damages, and press any criminal charges.
    >>>

    >> Yeah, it is is ridiculous. Especially since the coffee shop INTENDED for
    >> it to be a form of public access (for customers, but an open connection
    >> is still open).
    >>

    > If someone's open network spills over on to my property (car, etc) without
    > my permission...can I get them for trespassing???

    LOL! Probably not <g>
    WhzzKdd, Jun 1, 2007
  8. WhzzKdd wrote:

    >Yeah, it is is ridiculous. Especially since the coffee shop INTENDED for it
    >to be a form of public access (for customers, but an open connection is
    >still open).

    Tell the man:

    http://www.accesskent.com/CourtsAndLawEnforcement/ProsecutorsOffice/pros_index.htm

    William A. Forsyth, Kent County Prosecutor
    82 Ionia Avenue NW, Suite 450
    Grand Rapids, MI 49503-2266
    Phone: (616) 632-6710
    Fax: (616) 632-6714
    Clancy Wiggum, Jun 1, 2007
  9. Clancy Wiggum

    Old Gringo Guest

    On Or About Fri, 01 Jun 2007 13:20:22 -0500, Without Any Hesitation
    Or Thinking Twice, Clancy Wiggum Stumbled Over To The Keyboard And
    wrote The Following In The 24hoursupport.helpdesk News Group:

    > What a load of crap:

    I thought everyone knew that Michigan is now little Saudi Arabia.
    --
    Just West Of Nowhere
    Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullest
    Old Gringo, Jun 2, 2007
  10. Clancy Wiggum

    Old Gringo Guest

    Old Gringo, Jun 2, 2007
  11. Clancy Wiggum

    Guest

    , Jun 3, 2007
  12. Clancy Wiggum

    Curious Guest

    "olfart" wrote:
    > "WhzzKdd" wrote :

    > >> If you leave your WIFI AP open, be prepared to accept connections.
    > >>
    > >> Windows OS by default will connect to "any available" network, so if
    > >> your laptop is on - and your drive into a parking lot that has signal,
    > >> you've just committed a felony according to Michigan. So I submit
    > >> that the onus is on the owner of the wireless AP to secure it.
    > >>

    > > Yeah, it is is ridiculous. Especially since the coffee shop INTENDED for
    > > it to be a form of public access (for customers, but an open connection is
    > > still open).
    > >

    > If someone's open network spills over on to my property (car, etc) without
    > my permission...can I get them for trespassing???

    AFAIK, that aspect of the issue has not been raised !! Wonder if
    charge of polluting the air can aso be added to that.
    Curious, Jun 21, 2007