Michael Reichmann on pixel peepers as related to the Sony 828--newbies there's good advice here.

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Bill Mcdonald, Jan 17, 2004.

  1. Bill Mcdonald, Jan 17, 2004

  2. Bill Mcdonald

    Mike Guest

    "Bill Mcdonald" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > http://www.luminous-landscape.com/essays/cognative.shtml
    >
    > Try to keep an open mind.
    >
    > Bill Mcdonald

    Bill,
    Thanks, definitely food for thought. You know what they say, an open mind
    can be filled with rubbish as easily as pucker info. We are all sucked in to
    the pixel anorak mind set. Although I haven't a foveon chipped camera or a
    high-end Bayer chipped camera yet (still saving the pennies).I find the
    insulting arguments of the pixel peepers an embarrassment and one can only
    feel sorry for them. I feel they have lost sight of what photography is all
    about. This is not unusual, you will find the same type of personality in
    hi-fi, computer, angling you name it news magazine/groups.
    But apart for the pixel peepers most on this news group are very helpful and
    interesting and have helped me improve my photography for which I'm most
    grateful.
    MikeS
    Mike, Jan 17, 2004

  3. Bill Mcdonald

    Lisa Horton Guest

    Lisa Horton, Jan 17, 2004
  4. Bill Mcdonald

    Rick Guest

    Re: Michael Reichmann on pixel peepers as related to the Sony 828--newbies there's good advice here.

    "Lisa Horton" <> wrote in message news:...

    > Bill Mcdonald wrote:
    > >
    > > http://www.luminous-landscape.com/essays/cognative.shtml
    > >
    > > Try to keep an open mind.

    > I think he makes an excellent point!

    Oh brother.

    First he reviewed the 828 and found the exact same problems as
    every other formal review posted by others, and now he's claiming
    people are somehow focusing too much on the problems.

    What he calls "cognitive dissonance" is nothing more than a pathetic
    attempt at damage control. The jury is in, and the verdict is that
    image quality on the 828 sucks. It's the reason Sony made it a
    point to not ship production units to reviewers in advance of the
    camera's release.

    Rick
    Rick, Jan 17, 2004
  5. Bill Mcdonald

    Searching_ut Guest

    Re: Michael Reichmann on pixel peepers as related to the Sony 828--newbies there's good advice here.

    Personally, I thought he made a great point. That I know of there aren't any
    cameras out there that aren't loaded with faults (George may try to convince
    you that there is one perfect one out there however). My latest purchase was
    a DRebel. It's one of those cameras which could easily drive me to ruin if I
    just focused on it's shortcomings, and faults (Actually focusing is at times
    one of it's faults). Despite the flaws however, I find it's a tool I enjoy
    using, and somehow even manage to get pretty good results with most of the
    time.

    If the tool fits your needs, and gives you the results your looking for,
    dare to enjoy it. In the mean time, I'm still trying to figure out why you
    see so many driveways with cars in them. Cars are of such limited utility,
    and capability why would anyone ever settle for a car instead of a 4 wheel
    drive truck.

    For what it's worth

    Jeff
    Searching_ut, Jan 17, 2004
  6. Bill Mcdonald

    Mark Roberts Guest

    Lisa Horton <> wrote:

    >Bill Mcdonald wrote:
    >>
    >> http://www.luminous-landscape.com/essays/cognative.shtml
    >>
    >> Try to keep an open mind.

    >I think he makes an excellent point!

    One of the best things Reichmann's written in a long time. I'm not
    surprised it isn't receiving universal praise here in the homeland of
    the "pixel peeper". (I can tell even though I've killfiled most of
    them.)

    Reminds me of something a friend of mine said: "It seems the ones that
    shoot the least complain the most."

    --
    Mark Roberts
    Photography and writing
    Mark Roberts, Jan 18, 2004
  7. Re: Michael Reichmann on pixel peepers as related to the Sony 828--newbiesthere's good advice here.

    Rick wrote:

    > "Lisa Horton" <> wrote in message news:...
    >

    >>Bill Mcdonald wrote:
    >>
    >>>http://www.luminous-landscape.com/essays/cognative.shtml
    >>>
    >>>Try to keep an open mind.

    >>I think he makes an excellent point!

    > Oh brother.
    >
    > First he reviewed the 828 and found the exact same problems as
    > every other formal review posted by others, and now he's claiming
    > people are somehow focusing too much on the problems.
    >
    > What he calls "cognitive dissonance" is nothing more than a pathetic
    > attempt at damage control. The jury is in, and the verdict is that
    > image quality on the 828 sucks. It's the reason Sony made it a
    > point to not ship production units to reviewers in advance of the
    > camera's release.
    >
    > Rick

    I feel dirty for saying this, but I agree with you about this weird
    article. The author berates "pixel peepers", then spins this way and
    that to justify a camera whose major flaw is likely due to pixel stuffing.

    Corry

    http://www.unclaimedmysteries.net
    Unclaimed Mysteries, Jan 18, 2004
  8. Re: Michael Reichmann on pixel peepers as related to the Sony 828--newbies there's good advice here.

    On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 02:29:22 GMT, Mark Roberts <>
    wrote:

    >One of the best things Reichmann's written in a long time. I'm not
    >surprised it isn't receiving universal praise here in the homeland of
    >the "pixel peeper". (I can tell even though I've killfiled most of
    >them.)
    >
    >Reminds me of something a friend of mine said: "It seems the ones that
    >shoot the least complain the most."

    That is about the best zinger I've ever read on a newsgroup. Your
    friend is absolutely 100% correct.

    Bill Mcdonald
    Bill Mcdonald, Jan 18, 2004
  9. Michael J. Moline, Jan 19, 2004