    episodes in per disc when almost all other season sets have only 4
    episodes per disc?

    LVIII
    Lord Vader III, Nov 11, 2004

  2. Lord Vader III

    kaydigi Guest

    "Lord Vader III" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > The Digital Bits is reporting that the first season of Miami Vice will
    > contain all 21 episodes (22 hours) on 3 discs. How are they cramming 7
    > episodes in per disc when almost all other season sets have only 4
    > episodes per disc?
    >
    > LVIII

    Could be DVD-18.
    kaydigi, Nov 11, 2004

  3. Derek Janssen <> writes:

    > Lord Vader III wrote:
    >
    > > The Digital Bits is reporting that the first season of Miami Vice will
    > > contain all 21 episodes (22 hours) on 3 discs. How are they cramming 7
    > > episodes in per disc when almost all other season sets have only 4
    > > episodes per disc?

    > All the other sets waste space by using one-sided disks...
    >
    > (Okay--So I LIKE the way "Outer Limits" and "West Wing" conserved
    > space by "flipping" their episode counts on double-sided disks.
    > We TV-box fans understand the need for conserving space better than
    > anyone, and can put our feelings aside for a good cause...
    > Namely, at $9-12 per disk, keeping the whopping set price down.)
    >
    > Derek Janssen

    Plus it won't be 22 hours. The episodes come out to 45-50 minutes so
    it's more like 18 hours.

    --
    Scott Streeter

    http://www.wpi.edu/~ss/
    Scott Streeter, Nov 11, 2004

    Derek Janssen, Nov 11, 2004
  5. Lord Vader III

    jayembee Guest

    Lord Vader III <> wrote:

    > The Digital Bits is reporting that the first season of
    > Miami Vice will contain all 21 episodes (22 hours) on 3
    > discs. How are they cramming 7 episodes in per disc when
    > almost all other season sets have only 4 episodes per disc?

    Universal (and Warner, as well) has taken to using DVD-18s
    for their larger TV season sets. DVD-18s are dual-sided,
    dual-layered, so they can hold up to eight episodes a disc
    with not-unreasonable compression.

    -- jayembee
    jayembee, Nov 11, 2004
  6. Lord Vader III

    fredman Guest

    On 11 Nov 2004 15:40:23 -0800, (jayembee)
    wrote:

    >Lord Vader III <> wrote:
    >
    >> The Digital Bits is reporting that the first season of
    >> Miami Vice will contain all 21 episodes (22 hours) on 3
    >> discs. How are they cramming 7 episodes in per disc when
    >> almost all other season sets have only 4 episodes per disc?

    >Universal (and Warner, as well) has taken to using DVD-18s
    >for their larger TV season sets. DVD-18s are dual-sided,
    >dual-layered, so they can hold up to eight episodes a disc
    >with not-unreasonable compression.

    Well, that probably answers that question, but how much of the music
    will change, as have other TV series using copyrighted tunes? This
    would be more critical in this series, whose music
    fredman, Nov 12, 2004
  7. Lord Vader III

    wrote:

    >Lord Vader III <> wrote:
    >
    >> The Digital Bits is reporting that the first season of
    >> Miami Vice will contain all 21 episodes (22 hours) on 3
    >> discs. How are they cramming 7 episodes in per disc when
    >> almost all other season sets have only 4 episodes per disc?

    >Universal (and Warner, as well) has taken to using DVD-18s
    >for their larger TV season sets. DVD-18s are dual-sided,
    >dual-layered, so they can hold up to eight episodes a disc
    >with not-unreasonable compression.

    Well, that probably answers that question, but how much of the music
    will change, as have other TV series using copyrighted tunes? This
    would be more critical in this series, whose music was sometimes more
    integral to the show (sorry for dual post - fingers slipped...).
    fredman, Nov 12, 2004
  8. Lord Vader III

    ky Guest

    Double sided disk or flipper disk. Many people hated it but good for
    us netlix rentals

    ky, Nov 12, 2004
  9. Lord Vader III

    Invid Fan Guest

    In article <>, jayembee
    <> wrote:

    > Lord Vader III <> wrote:
    >
    > > The Digital Bits is reporting that the first season of
    > > Miami Vice will contain all 21 episodes (22 hours) on 3
    > > discs. How are they cramming 7 episodes in per disc when
    > > almost all other season sets have only 4 episodes per disc?

    > Universal (and Warner, as well) has taken to using DVD-18s
    > for their larger TV season sets. DVD-18s are dual-sided,
    > dual-layered, so they can hold up to eight episodes a disc
    > with not-unreasonable compression.

    I don't mind paying more for more discs, as it's a pain to read the
    writing on double sided dvds.

    -'Deal/No Deal', CHESS
    Invid Fan, Nov 12, 2004
  10. >Subject: Miami Vice: 3 discs = 21 episodes?
    >From: Lord Vader III

    >How are they cramming 7
    >episodes in per disc when almost all other season sets have only 4
    >episodes per disc?

    Cocaine
    John339077353, Nov 12, 2004
  11. Lord Vader III

    Steve K. Guest

    Scott Streeter wrote:
    > Plus it won't be 22 hours. The episodes come out to 45-50 minutes so
    > it's more like 18 hours.

    Closer to a bit more that 5 hours per disc (hour shows are 44 minutes).
    Also the sound will mostly likely be stereo only since that was one of
    the big draws of the show at that time (one of the first if I'm not
    mistaken).
    Steve K., Nov 12, 2004
  12. Lord Vader III

    Steve K. Guest

    fredman wrote:
    > Well, that probably answers that question, but how much of the music
    > will change, as have other TV series using copyrighted tunes? This
    > would be more critical in this series, whose music was sometimes more
    > integral to the show (sorry for dual post - fingers slipped...

    I think they annouced that the music would be intact.
    Steve K., Nov 12, 2004
  13. Lord Vader III

    jayembee Guest

    fredman <> wrote:

    > Well, that probably answers that question, but how much
    > of the music will change, as have other TV series using
    > copyrighted tunes? This would be more critical in this
    > series, whose music was sometimes more integral to the show

    No guarantees, but as far as I know, they have the original
    music.

    -- jayembee
    jayembee, Nov 12, 2004
  14. Lord Vader III