Miami, FL - the UK has no monopoly on restricting photography

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Bruce, Jul 9, 2010.

  1. Bruce

    Bruce Guest

    Those of you who read Rich Anderson's postings may be forgiven for
    thinking that the UK is the only country in the world where police and
    security personnel restrict the freedom of photographers.

    Here's a quote from an article on the "Photography Bay" web site about
    an incident in Miami, Florida. It tells a similar story about the USA:

    START QUOTE

    In [the linked] video, you see that Carlos Miller (of Photography Is
    Not A Crime) and photojournalist Stretch Ledford were stopped while
    taking photos at Douglas Road Metro Station in Miami – before they
    even got into the station and while they were still in the parking
    lot.

    While we’ve seen prior videos from other photographers that some
    readers have accused of baiting officers into a confrontation, Ledford
    actually contacted the Miami-Dade Transit Chief of Security to
    ascertain the actual rules for photography on the Metrorail premises
    before they ever set out to take any photos. Miller was openly
    filming the encounter, and while Ledford appeared to remain
    cool-headed throughout the confrontation, the private security company
    seems to have stepped well beyond its legal boundaries.

    This is yet another sad event in an ongoing trend of photographers’
    confrontation with police and security.

    END QUOTE

    The full article makes some very good points about training of police
    and security personnel and links to the video referred to:

    http://tinyurl.com/33ygs54
    or:
    http://www.photographybay.com/2010/...parking-lot/?awt_l=EaOwg&awt_m=1ZUPlJfk0P62xu
    Bruce, Jul 9, 2010

  2. Bruce

    Paul Heslop Guest

    Bruce wrote:

    > Those of you who read Rich Anderson's postings may be forgiven for
    > thinking that the UK is the only country in the world where police and
    > security personnel restrict the freedom of photographers.

    to give you an idea of how it is abused here in the UK a guy was on a
    train and was so disgusted at the massive overcrowding which led to
    cases etc being left in the aisle and other concerns, which he saw as
    a breach of safety regulations. he decided that he would photograph
    the stuff so he would have proof of conditions and, yes, you guessed
    it, was continually warned that what he was doing was illegal due to
    anti terrorist legislation.

    --
    Paul (we break easy)
    Stop and Look
    Paul Heslop, Jul 9, 2010

  3. Bruce

    Paul Heslop Guest

    bugbear wrote:

    > Paul Heslop wrote:
    >
    > (pssst - the geocities site in your sig doesn't exist - obviously)
    >
    > BugBear

    :O) thanks, I am aware, but I suffer from OCD and the damn thing
    won't let me delete the link for now.

    Paul Heslop, Jul 9, 2010
  4. Bruce

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Fri, 09 Jul 2010 10:24:54 -0700, John Navas <>
    wrote:
    : See also "Man Arrested by Amtrak Police for Taking Photographs for
    : Amtrak Photography Contest" (Schneier on Security)
    : <http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2009/02/man_arrested_by.html>

    So whar's the tentative conclusion from all this? That the whole incident was
    a fake from the beginning?

    Bob
    Robert Coe, Jul 10, 2010