    Rob559 Guest

    Anyone know if the MI-5 Box set will be anamorphic widescreen?

    Rob

    Rob559, Dec 18, 2003

  2. In article <>, Rob559
    <> wrote:

    > Anyone know if the MI-5 Box set will be anamorphic widescreen?

    It seems to me the Spooks(R2) box set is, and the only thing that
    should be different is the opening credits, so I don't see why it
    wouldn't be.

    Derek Balling, Dec 19, 2003

  3. Rob559

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "Derek Balling" <> wrote in message
    > > Anyone know if the MI-5 Box set will be anamorphic widescreen?

    > It seems to me the Spooks(R2) box set is, and the only thing that
    > should be different is the opening credits, so I don't see why it
    > wouldn't be.

    It *potentially* might not be, because the US broadcasts on BBC America
    have been cropped, and BBC America is distributing the DVDs.

    However, I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that the DVDs will be
    widescreen just like R2. Don't have a source for that, unfortunately.

    Joshua Zyber, Dec 19, 2003
  4. Rob559 wrote:

    > Anyone know if the MI-5 Box set will be anamorphic widescreen?
    >
    > Rob

    Given they dumbed the name doubt, probably not.

    Tallulah Blanket, Dec 19, 2003
  5. In article <EuuEb.553$>, Joshua
    Zyber <> wrote:

    > "Derek Balling" <> wrote in message
    > > > Anyone know if the MI-5 Box set will be anamorphic widescreen?

    > > It seems to me the Spooks(R2) box set is, and the only thing that
    > > should be different is the opening credits, so I don't see why it
    > > wouldn't be.

    > It *potentially* might not be, because the US broadcasts on BBC America
    > have been cropped, and BBC America is distributing the DVDs.

    Yeah, but the US Broadcasts of Coupling and Monarch of the Glen were
    both cropped, but the DVDs were blissfully widescreen. BBC America
    seems to "get it" in that they'll show fullscreen on TV since that's
    still what the majority of folks have, but since they've got HD masters
    sitting on the other side of the pond, that's what they use for the
    DVDs. :)

    cheers,

    Derek Balling, Dec 19, 2003
  6. Rob559

    jayembee Guest

    "Joshua Zyber" <> wrote:

    > It *potentially* might not be, because the US broadcasts
    > on BBC America have been cropped, and BBC America is
    > distributing the DVDs.

    Except that it was A&E that aired the show here, not BBCA
    (unless BBCA had aired it prior to A&E acquiring it).

    -- jayembee

    jayembee, Dec 19, 2003
  7. Rob559

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "jayembee" <> wrote in message
    > > It *potentially* might not be, because the US broadcasts
    > > on BBC America have been cropped, and BBC America is
    > > distributing the DVDs.

    > Except that it was A&E that aired the show here, not BBCA
    > (unless BBCA had aired it prior to A&E acquiring it).

    Hmmmm... Dammit, I have too many cable channels! I can't tell them apart
    anymore!

    Joshua Zyber, Dec 20, 2003
  8. Tallulah Blanket <> wrote in message news:<77zEb.58166$>...
    > Rob559 wrote:
    >
    > > Anyone know if the MI-5 Box set will be anamorphic widescreen?
    > >
    > > Rob

    > Given they dumbed the name doubt, probably not.

    I wouldn't call the name change a dumbing down... it was unfortunately necessary.

    KazamaSmokers, Dec 20, 2003
  9. In article <>,
    KazamaSmokers <> wrote:
    > > Given they dumbed the name doubt, probably not.

    > I wouldn't call the name change a dumbing down... it was unfortunately necessary.

    and why exactly was it 'necessary' again? I seem to have missed that.

    Derek Balling, Dec 20, 2003
  10. Rob559

    ZC TGS Guest

    On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 18:43:18 -0500, Derek Balling <>
    wrote:

    >In article <>,
    >KazamaSmokers <> wrote:
    >> > Given they dumbed the name doubt, probably not.

    >> I wouldn't call the name change a dumbing down... it was unfortunately necessary.

    >and why exactly was it 'necessary' again? I seem to have missed that.

    I did read somewhere that in the US the word 'Spooks' as a racial slur
    to it.

    ZC TGS, Dec 21, 2003
  11. > >> I wouldn't call the name change a dumbing down... it was unfortunately
    > >> necessary.

    > >and why exactly was it 'necessary' again? I seem to have missed that.

    > I did read somewhere that in the US the word 'Spooks' as a racial slur
    > to it.

    I honestly don't think anyone has used "Spook" as a racial slur since
    like the 50's or 60's.

    The OP was correct, it was "dumbed down" because Americans are believed
    to be too stupid to realize it's entirely possible for a word to have
    two meanings.

    Cheers,

    Derek Balling, Dec 21, 2003
  12. Derek Balling <> wrote in message news:<211220031003218204%>...

    > > >and why exactly was it 'necessary' again? I seem to have missed that.

    > > I did read somewhere that in the US the word 'Spooks' as a racial slur
    > > to it.

    > I honestly don't think anyone has used "Spook" as a racial slur since
    > like the 50's or 60's.

    It's still used, though not often... but you seem to imply a
    correlation between frequency of use and degree of offense.

    > The OP was correct, it was "dumbed down" because Americans are believed
    > to be too stupid to realize it's entirely possible for a word to have
    > two meanings.

    Which seems disingenuous because it implies that the offensive meaning
    somehow vaishes.
    Yeah,

    KazamaSmokers, Dec 21, 2003
  13. Rob559

    poldy Guest

    In article <>,
    (KazamaSmokers) wrote:

    > Tallulah Blanket <> wrote in message
    > > Rob559 wrote:
    > >
    > > > Anyone know if the MI-5 Box set will be anamorphic widescreen?
    > > >
    > > > Rob

    > > Given they dumbed the name doubt, probably not.

    > I wouldn't call the name change a dumbing down... it was unfortunately
    > necessary.

    How is MI-5 a dumbing down compared to "Spooks?"

    poldy, Dec 21, 2003
  14. Rob559

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "KazamaSmokers" <> wrote in message
    > > I honestly don't think anyone has used "Spook" as a racial slur

    since
    > > like the 50's or 60's.

    > It's still used, though not often... but you seem to imply a
    > correlation between frequency of use and degree of offense.
    >
    > > The OP was correct, it was "dumbed down" because Americans are

    believed
    > > to be too stupid to realize it's entirely possible for a word to

    have
    > > two meanings.

    > Which seems disingenuous because it implies that the offensive meaning
    > somehow vaishes.
    > Yeah,

    I think it's much more likely the title was "dumbed down" because an
    American audience would think a show called "Spooks" would be about a
    haunted house or something.

    Besides, "MI-5" is a better-sounding title, frankly.

    Joshua Zyber, Dec 21, 2003
  15. Rob559

    ZC TGS Guest

    On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 22:08:47 GMT, "Joshua Zyber"
    <> wrote:

    >Besides, "MI-5" is a better-sounding title, frankly.

    On the other hand, 'Spooks' is a far more better sounding title,
    certainly from a UK perspective.

    ZC TGS, Dec 22, 2003