    get..?
    Thanks & Regards
    Hidayat
    Hidayat, Feb 12, 2004

  2. In news: f1e601c3f159$d140e3e0$,
    Hidayat <> wrote:
    > Does anyone know whether we can Visual Foxpro (7.0/8.0)
    > certification..?, and what kind of certificate we can
    > get..?

    Hi Hidyat,

    There are currently only Visual FoxPro exams based on VFP6 - the 70-155 and
    70-156 exams (http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcsd/requirements.asp).
    Passing either of these exams makes you a Microsoft Certified Professional
    (MCP) and if you pass an elective and the Solution Architectures exam you'll
    be a Microsoft Certified Solution Developer (MCSD) for Visual Studio 6.

    These two exams will be retired on June 30, 2004 and they will not be
    available after that. However, you won't lose any certification status based
    on these two exams. Currently, Microsoft has no plans for new certification
    exams for VFP.

    For study materials see "Visual FoxPro Certification Exams Study Guide" at
    http://www.hentzenwerke.com/catalogpricelists/certfox6.htm, or put 70-155 or
    70-156 in the search box at http://fox.wikis.com. There are no practice
    tests that closely follow the scope of the Microsoft exams.

    www.cindywinegarden.com
    Cindy Winegarden, Feb 12, 2004

  3. Hidayat

    Eric Guest

    Cindy Winegarden wrote:

    >Currently, Microsoft has no plans for new certification exams for VFP.

    Bummer, it sounds like VFP isn't going to make the transition to .NET?

    I hope they reconsider...
    Eric, Feb 16, 2004
  4. In news: ,
    Eric <Eric> wrote:
    >> Currently, Microsoft has no plans for new certification exams for
    >> VFP.

    > Bummer, it sounds like VFP isn't going to make the transition to .NET?
    > I hope they reconsider...

    Hi Eric,

    The two quotes below ("Toledo" is VFP7) explain nicely why VFP will not make
    the transition to .NET.

    "[The] VFP data engine is built into the core basis of what VFP is. So if
    you move VFP to the CLR which is the core of .NET, you end up being tied to
    their methods of data handling which would completely change the whole idea
    of VFP. Changing VFP to be part of the CLR would be a larger jump than even
    the VB'ers are going through... So they
    probably think that people who want to code for the CLR will use VB or C#
    and the learning curve would be no bigger than if VFP was changed to work w/
    the CLR."

    "Toledo will not be part of Visual Studio .NET and will not compile to the
    ..NET common language runtime (CLR) engine. VFP is a language, a database
    engine, and a development IDE all in one. Having the FoxPro language compile
    to the .NET CLR would mean removing most data-centric commands, then using
    VS.NET and not VFP to do development, thus eliminating some of the FoxPro
    language, the VFP database engine, and the VFP IDE. VFP 7 is
    fully-compatible with .NET via XML Web services and has a new OLE DB
    provider for great integration with VS.NET and ASP.NET. And we're working on
    improved SQL Server connectivity for Toledo."
    www.cindywinegarden.com
    Cindy Winegarden, Feb 17, 2004
  5. Hidayat

    Eric Guest

    Thanks for these quotes. But they assume the CLR can't be expanded to
    accomodate new constucts and methods. I think the CLR has been shaped
    already by the VB.NET uniqueness, and C# uniqueness.

    I think that the Framework is still a work in progress. There's still
    room to make changes.
    Eric, Feb 17, 2004