Metz 76 MZ-5 flash with Nikon D70 Body

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Geo, May 13, 2006.

  1. Geo

    Geo Guest

    After downloading and reading the instruction manual from the german
    website, I still have a question about the Metz 76 MZ-5 flash.

    If I buy the 76 MZ-5 flash, will i-TTL functionality work with my Nikon
    D70?

    The flash is described as the latest digital flash that functions is
    i-TTL, and D-TTL mode. Do I have to buy a separate SCA adapter, i.e.,
    the SCA 3002, SCA300, or will the Metz 76 MZ-5 work right out of the
    box?

    I was ready to buy one from bandh photo dot com, but am hesitant at the
    moment. I don't want to pay $900 to find out I have to shell out
    another $100+ for some adapter, cable, or controller system.

    When I bought my SB-800, I know what it can and can't do. However,
    this Metz flash has a very confusing description. Below are two
    paragraphs that describe the flash:

    *****************
    The Metz 76 MZ-5 is the flagship model in the Metz handle-mount line.
    Simple to operate, reliable and of course powerful, it can be used with
    lots of cameras when combined with the proper Metz adapter.

    This model will support the advanced TTL systems used with Digital SLR
    cameras: E-TTL flash mode from Canon, i-TTL/i-TTL-BL and D-TTL from
    Nikon or ADI flash control from Minolta.

    ********************
    Does anyone have any input or thoughts?

    Geo
    Geo, May 13, 2006

  2. Geo

    ASAAR Guest

    On 12 May 2006 22:08:30 -0700, Geo wrote:

    > this Metz flash has a very confusing description. Below are two
    > paragraphs that describe the flash:
    >
    > *****************
    > The Metz 76 MZ-5 is the flagship model in the Metz handle-mount line.
    > Simple to operate, reliable and of course powerful, it can be used with
    > lots of cameras when combined with the proper Metz adapter.
    >
    > This model will support the advanced TTL systems used with Digital SLR
    > cameras: E-TTL flash mode from Canon, i-TTL/i-TTL-BL and D-TTL from
    > Nikon or ADI flash control from Minolta.
    >
    > ********************
    > Does anyone have any input or thoughts?

    It's *very* unlikely that the box containing the Metz flash also
    contains an adapter. If it did, stores would have to keep more
    product in stock, and small stores that might be willing to keep one
    might not be willing to keep three different versions in stock. And
    it's *extremely* unlikely that it contains all three adapters.

    Suppose a small local store only had one in stock and it contained
    only a Canon adapter. Would you buy that and pay extra for a Nikon
    adapter? Probably not. If the store exchanged adapters for you at
    no extra cost, they'd then be in the position of trying to sell a
    Canon adapter that shouldn't be represented as if it was totally new
    (and may not have an original box for it). And since the flashes
    would be sold with one adapter, it would probably also be hard to
    sell, as its potential customers might be expected to have already
    purchased a Metz flash containing the required Canon adapter.

    The description isn't really "very confusing", although it could
    have been written better so as to remove the slight ambiguity.
    ASAAR, May 13, 2006

  3. Geo

    Axel Kurth Guest

    Geo wrote:

    > If I buy the 76 MZ-5 flash, will i-TTL functionality work with my Nikon
    > D70?
    >
    > The flash is described as the latest digital flash that functions is
    > i-TTL, and D-TTL mode. Do I have to buy a separate SCA adapter, i.e.,
    > the SCA 3002, SCA300, or will the Metz 76 MZ-5 work right out of the
    > box?
    >

    > ********************
    > Does anyone have any input or thoughts?
    >
    > Geo

    The Metz will work only with the appropriate Adapter on the D 70
    look at the Metz webpage and look for the adapter and read on the i-TTL
    limitations for the Metz -Nikon D70 combo
    Axel Kurth, May 16, 2006
  4. Geo

    Axel Kurth Guest

    Geo wrote:

    > After downloading and reading the instruction manual from the german
    > website, I still have a question about the Metz 76 MZ-5 flash.
    >
    > If I buy the 76 MZ-5 flash, will i-TTL functionality work with my Nikon
    > D70?
    >
    > The flash is described as the latest digital flash that functions is
    > i-TTL, and D-TTL mode. Do I have to buy a separate SCA adapter, i.e.,
    > the SCA 3002, SCA300, or will the Metz 76 MZ-5 work right out of the
    > box?
    >> Does anyone have any input or thoughts?

    > Geo

    In addition, the unit will work out of the box with its basic
    functions, but in order to get all the functions of the D70
    you need the apropriate SCA adapter
    Axel

    Axel Kurth, May 16, 2006