    require to use the cameras flash capabilties with this unit.

    I guess it would be a similar set up to a Nikon spec?

    Tony

    Tony Wallis, Jul 13, 2003

  2. Any module dedicated to Nikon will work.
    I am using the same one I use with my N8008 and N90.
    (SCA 346/2 AF)
    It has an IF light to help AF in low light, however I'm not sure if
    the S2 needs it as it has it's own built-in AF asist light.

    One of the reasons I chose the S2 over the D100 is I wasn't willing to
    give up my trusty Metz flash for wedding photography.

    Eventually Metz may come up with a module compatible with Nikon's
    D-flash technology.
    Or maybe their newer cameras will work with all Nikon dedicated
    flashes like the Fuji does.
    (That would be nice)

    Larry

    Larry Miracle, Jul 13, 2003

  3. Tony Wallis

    David Grandy Guest

    I use a Metz 45 CL-4 with a Mamiya Pro-TL for weddings and I've been using
    this combination for about five years (well it was a CT-4 for three years
    until a ride-on lawnmower ate my flash, but that's another story). I like
    the Metz and I like the Mamiya, but this set up is brain dead compared to
    what's available for the DSLR's.

    I have the Canon 10D and the 550EX flash plus a 420 so that I can do off
    camera wireless TTL with ratios. I will never use the Metz with this camera
    and I'm surprised that anyone would want to leave behind AF and advanced TTL
    features that the most modern DSLR/flashes offer. I mean I hate the SCA
    adapter that you have to use with the Mamiya/Metz combination. It's a
    failure waiting to happen. And there's no auto "I want this to expose 1/3
    of a stop less than the ambient light" unless you bias the ISO. It's clunky
    and it's heavy and it's not much more powerful than the 550 (and I assume
    the SB80X).

    So if I was using the S2/D100 I would want the SB flash which is going to be
    as foolproof as you are likely to get.

    David Grandy, Jul 13, 2003
  4. On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 16:17:43 -0300, "David Grandy"
    <> wrote:

    > I will never use the Metz with this camera
    >and I'm surprised that anyone would want to leave behind AF and advanced TTL
    >features that the most modern DSLR/flashes offer.

    All of the Cameras capabilities are compatible with the Metz flash, if
    you have the proper module.

    TTL flash is available, with the S2, and the flashes exposure
    compensation can be controlled on the camera body, just like the
    built-in flash.

    The module that I use has a IF (infra red) AF (autofocus) beam that
    helps auto focus in low light. (as I already mentioned)

    Nothing is left behind and a lot is gained for any working
    professional or serious amateur.

    Larry

    Larry Miracle, Jul 14, 2003
  5. Tony Wallis

    Tony Wallis Guest

    Ok Larry,

    Is the IR/AF really necessary, as the camera already has that as standard.

    I am used to the Metz guns and have used them for Wedding work for 20 years
    or so, thats why I want to stick with them. I can use battery packs or my
    Quantum battery, in the safe knowledge that no matter how much hammer I give
    the flash, the necessary power will all ways be there. Better the devil you
    know....

    Out of curiousty what SCA adapter and cable do you use?

    Thanks again to everyone who has contacted.

    Tony

    Tony Wallis, Jul 15, 2003