    Website status: unreachable

    Date: Sat Jul 26 11:58:35 2008
    Name:
    Status code: 28 - Operation timeout. The specified time-out period was
    reached according to the conditions.

    Website status: OK

    Date: Sat Jul 26 13:39:34 2008
    Name:
    Status code: 0 - Lucky you, there are no errors to report.

    Website status: unreachable

    Date: Sat Jul 26 13:51:23 2008
    Name:

    Date: Sat Jul 26 13:59:25 2008
    Name:

    Date: Sat Jul 26 15:21:10 2008
    Name:
    Status code: 7 - Failed to connect to host.

    --
    Duncan

    Dave Doe, Jul 26, 2008

  2. Dave Doe

    Tony Guest

    Dave Doe wrote:
    > Are they taking a hammering from the net? - or from the cyclone? :)
    >
    > Hello? - anyone left in Auckland? :)

    Just a bit of rain or wind out the window (Auckland), nothing
    spectacular from what I can see.

    Tony, Jul 26, 2008

  3. Dave Doe

    Fantail Guest

    On Jul 26, 2:45 pm, Dave Doe <> wrote:
    > Are they taking a hammering from the net? - or from the cyclone? :)

    Auckland's just fine, but www.metservice.co.nz has given me overload
    messages today, though works 95% at least.

    I suggest using the .co.nz URL, it seems to have less trouble.

    HTH

    Fantail, Jul 26, 2008
  4. Dave Doe

    Alan Guest

    "Fantail" <> wrote in message
    On Jul 26, 2:45 pm, Dave Doe <> wrote:
    > Are they taking a hammering from the net? - or from the cyclone? :)

    Auckland's just fine, but www.metservice.co.nz has given me
    overload
    messages today, though works 95% at least.

    I suggest using the .co.nz URL, it seems to have less trouble.

    HTH

    That's interesting.

    MetService.com and MetService.co.nz both point to exactly the same
    server (202.21.130.180) so I don't see why there would be any
    difference.

    --

    Alan.

    else associated with me.

    My current valid email address is:

    email address.

    ewygchvboocno43vb674b6nq46tvb

    Alan, Jul 26, 2008
  5. Dave Doe

    Squiggle Guest

    Bobs wrote:
    > Tony wrote:
    >> Dave Doe wrote:
    >>> Are they taking a hammering from the net? - or from the cyclone? :)
    >>>
    >>> Hello? - anyone left in Auckland? :)

    >> Just a bit of rain or wind out the window (Auckland), nothing
    >> spectacular from what I can see.

    > Blowing a gale in West Auckland - but I've seen worse here. Apparently
    > it wont peak until about midnight.

    Just got back from visting a rellie in middlemore hosp, a few large
    branches off trees and such, but nothing major out that way either.

    Squiggle, Jul 26, 2008
  6. Dave Doe

    Tony Guest

    > Just got back from visting a rellie in middlemore hosp, a few large
    > branches off trees and such, but nothing major out that way either.

    Total non event apart from a bit of wind from what I can see in Auckland.

    Tony, Jul 26, 2008
  7. Dave Doe

    EMB Guest

    Mark Robinson wrote:
    > Tony wrote:
    >>
    >>> Just got back from visting a rellie in middlemore hosp, a few large
    >>> branches off trees and such, but nothing major out that way either.

    >> Total non event apart from a bit of wind from what I can see in Auckland.

    > http://incidents.fire.org.nz/Nth20080726.html

    I think much of the damage and callouts were a result of the direction
    of the wind - the particular ENE direction is fairly rare[1] in
    Northland and when even a moderate wind blows from that direction quite
    a lot of damage results.

    [1] The number of storms from this direction during my lifetime number
    less than 10 or so. They are all memorable for the damage they have
    caused even when the wind speeds were relatively low.

    It is interesting to see from your link that the VFB of which I used to
    be a member had probably their busiest day ever yesterday.

    EMB, Jul 27, 2008
  8. Dave Doe

    EMB Guest

    Freesias wrote:
    > On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 11:14:50 +1200, Puddle wrote:
    >
    >> There are lots of large branches down in our neighbourhood and even one
    >> big pine tree down , we lost power for 5 hours too :(.

    > Do you still have overhead powerlines?

    Very few places don't have overhead local powerlines. And I'm sure that
    *all* reticulated electricity in NZ is delivered via overhead lines at
    some point.

    EMB, Jul 27, 2008
  9. Dave Doe

    EMB Guest

    Freesias wrote:
    > On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 11:35:01 +1200, EMB wrote:
    >
    >> Freesias wrote:

    >>> Do you still have overhead powerlines?

    >> Very few places don't have overhead local powerlines.

    > Really?
    >
    > Which city do you live near?

    Auckland, where the undergrounding project came to a shuddering halt a
    few years ago. Basically apart from the recent suburbs and main roads
    most of the reticulation is overhead.

    >> And I'm sure that *all* reticulated electricity in NZ is
    >> delivered via overhead lines at some point.

    > Duh!
    >
    > We ARE talking about distribution around a city and outlying suburbs -
    > not about the national high-voltage distribution.
    >
    > In the suburb I live in even the 11kVA reticulation is underground.

    Makes no difference to weather related outages - the HV reticulation is
    just as susceptible to trees and wind, and in fact when so affected the
    outages tend to be wider spread and of greater duration.

    EMB, Jul 27, 2008
  10. Dave Doe

    EMB Guest

    Freesias wrote:

    > I'm curious about why the undergrounding stopped.
    >
    > Is that a consequence of the privatization of the Auckland Electric Power
    > Board? - IE they want more profit so they sell everything they can and
    > reduce services by the greatest extent possible without inducing
    > widespread dissatisfaction and audible complaints.

    I think (but may be wrong) that the local authorities stopped making any
    contribution which stopped the project.

    EMB, Jul 27, 2008
  11. On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 11:14:50 +1200, Puddle <> wrote:

    >Freesias wrote:

    >>> Total non event apart from a bit of wind from what I can see in
    >>> Auckland.

    >> If large branches have broken off from trees then that would equate to
    >> winds at Beaufort 9:
    >>
    >> "Larger branches break off trees, construction/temporary signs and
    >> barricades blown over, damage to circus tents and canopies."
    >>

    >> Beaufort 8 is described as:
    >>
    >> "Twigs broken from trees. Cars veer on road."
    >>

    >> Beaufort 10 is described as:
    >>
    >> "Trees broken off or uprooted, saplings bent and/or deformed, poorly
    >> attached asphalt shingles and shingles in poor condition peel off roofs."
    >>

    >There are lots of large branches down in our neighbourhood and even one
    >big pine tree down , we lost power for 5 hours too :(.
    >
    >The storm wasn't as bad as last years though when our neighbourhood lost
    >power for 2 days and some parts of the north shore for 1 week...
    >
    >It passed over so quickly which was the lucky thing.

    Topped you! We just went through a Catergory 2 hurricane :)

    Cath

    texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit.usacom.., Jul 28, 2008
  12. On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 11:35:38 +1200, Puddle <> wrote:

    >Freesias wrote:
    >> On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 11:14:50 +1200, Puddle wrote:
    >>
    >>> There are lots of large branches down in our neighbourhood and even one
    >>> big pine tree down , we lost power for 5 hours too :(.

    >> Do you still have overhead powerlines?
    >>

    >Not in our street but around the area yes. A huge area lost power on
    >the North Shore, when I rang faults they said high voltage cables had
    >come down. Anyway glad it came back reasonably quickly. Need to invest
    >in some heating one day that doesn't rely on electricity or a generator.

    Do you live in an earthquake zone?
    I hope not as it sounds like you are unprepared for anything!
    Do you have a barbecue for being able to cook if needbe?

    Generators - yeah, had we been staying here in Texas, we would have invested in one before now.
    It's a right barch trying to survive without air conditioning after a tropical storm/hurricane has
    taken your power out.

    Cath

    texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit.usacom.., Jul 28, 2008
  13. On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 11:55:19 +1200, Puddle <> wrote:

    >texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit.usacom.. wrote:

    >>> Not in our street but around the area yes. A huge area lost power on
    >>> the North Shore, when I rang faults they said high voltage cables had
    >>> come down. Anyway glad it came back reasonably quickly. Need to invest
    >>> in some heating one day that doesn't rely on electricity or a generator.

    >> Do you live in an earthquake zone?
    >> I hope not as it sounds like you are unprepared for anything!

    >I am very well prepared, just missed the _luxury_ of a heat pump.
    >Hardly needed for survival :).

    Heat pumps for residential use are only just coming into vogue here now with Mistubishi hammering
    them on tv.

    Thankfully we switched from a central heat system [part of a cha system/we shut off the ac part
    years ago] to a free flow propane system which requires no electricity.

    Cath

    texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit.usacom.., Jul 28, 2008
  14. Dave Doe

    EMB Guest

    Freesias wrote:
    > On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 08:02:44 +1200, EMB wrote:
    >
    >> I think (but may be wrong) that the local authorities stopped making any
    >> contribution which stopped the project.

    > The very good question is, of course, why should a city corporation
    > provide funding for the undergrounding that rightly should be funded from
    > the proceeds of selling the electricity generated by NZers to NZers for
    > to use?

    Why should an electricity distribution company price gouge its clients
    just to pay for undergrounding of a network that functions perfectly
    well above ground?

    EMB, Jul 28, 2008
  15. Dave Doe

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <g6k5jp$utv$>,
    says...
    > Dave Doe wrote:
    > > Are they taking a hammering from the net? - or from the cyclone? :)
    > > Website status: unreachable
    > > Date: Sat Jul 26 11:58:35 2008
    > > Status code: 28 - Operation timeout. The specified time-out period was
    > > reached according to the conditions.

    > Wow, just when the public really needs a met service, it fails. Due to too
    > much traffic, apparently. But the amazing part was an interview on Radio
    > NZ this afternoon, where the MetService guy said this wasn't unusual, it
    > often happens at times of severe weather events, when lots of people want
    > to get weather info.

    I heard that - pathetic, is my response.

    > Hello? Isn't this a signal that maybe they'd better find a more capable
    > host service?

    Yes

    --
    Duncan

    Dave Doe, Jul 28, 2008
  16. On 28 Jul 2008 18:26:47 +1200, Freesias <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 18:13:54 -0500, texan....usenet wrote:
    >
    >> Topped you! We just went through a Catergory 2 hurricane :)

    >You can have that - nobody in their right minds wants american weather!

    Just be grateful you don't have warnings regarding fire ants, snakes and tarantulas after a bad
    storm lol...

    You tend to forget that hurricanes aka cyclones in NZ, do 'hit' NZ.
    You do remember Bola for example don't you?

    Likewise, tornadoes, tropical storms, snow etc are also part and parcel of NZ's varied weather!

    I would say though, that NZ does not have the humidity we have.

    Today's weather, a balmy 99oF/37oC with a heat index of 105oF/41oC...

    Cath

    texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit.usacom.., Jul 28, 2008
  17. In article <2tod.net>, Mark Robinson <2tod.net> wrote:
    >Peter wrote:
    >> Dave Doe wrote:
    >>> Are they taking a hammering from the net? - or from the cyclone? :)
    >>> Website status: unreachable
    >>> Date: Sat Jul 26 11:58:35 2008
    >>> Status code: 28 - Operation timeout. The specified time-out period was
    >>> reached according to the conditions.

    >> Wow, just when the public really needs a met service, it fails. Due to too
    >> much traffic, apparently. But the amazing part was an interview on Radio
    >> NZ this afternoon, where the MetService guy said this wasn't unusual, it
    >> often happens at times of severe weather events, when lots of people want
    >> to get weather info.
    >>
    >> Hello? Isn't this a signal that maybe they'd better find a more capable
    >> host service?

    >Metservice management has been moribund for as long as I can remember.
    >The site is chaotic.
    >Their forecasts are increasingly rendered in some language other than english.
    >
    >They need some people wielding larts to ensure that their public facing
    >services are readable, usable, accessible etc. Look at successful sites like
    >google and trademe and then look at metservice - what's the difference ?

    I disagree. Reckon their site is easy to find what I want on it and have
    never had a problem with it. The last thing I want is for them to hide that
    away somewhere under 'metservice_maps' or 'met_sevice_numbers'. :)

    Bruce Sinclair, Jul 29, 2008
  18. On 30 Jul 2008 07:39:52 +1200, Freesias <> wrote:

    >>>You can have that - nobody in their right minds wants american weather!

    >> Just be grateful you don't have warnings regarding fire ants, snakes and
    >> tarantulas after a bad storm lol...

    >Why would I be grateful for those?
    >
    >If I wanted those I would be so stupid as to live in some place like the
    >USA.

    Oh my my my what a snarky piece of garbage we are today aren't we.
    Feel better now do we?

    Cath

    texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit.usacom.., Jul 29, 2008