    It’s a stretch to call netbooks personal computers, they’re propping up
    PC manufacturer’s numbers

    Well, Apple's numbers could do with some "propping up" about now...
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Apr 23, 2009

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    news:gspb1r$nm4$...
    > Apple on netbooks <http://blogs.zdnet.com/Apple/?p=3773>:
    >
    > I see cramped keyboards, terrible software, junky hardware, small
    > screens, things I would not put the Mac brand on

    > It's a stretch to call netbooks personal computers, they're propping up
    > PC manufacturer's numbers
    >
    > Well, Apple's numbers could do with some "propping up" about now...

    They'll pant and moan about PC architecture, until they adopt it themselves.
    Standard Apple hypocrisy.

    J&H.
    Je|, Apr 23, 2009

  3. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    impossible Guest

    "Je|<ݬ¬ & µÝÐe" <jekyll&> wrote in message
    >> Apple on netbooks <http://blogs.zdnet.com/Apple/?p=3773>:
    >>
    >> I see cramped keyboards, terrible software, junky hardware, small
    >> screens, things I would not put the Mac brand on

    >> It's a stretch to call netbooks personal computers, they're propping
    >> up
    >> PC manufacturer's numbers
    >>
    >> Well, Apple's numbers could do with some "propping up" about now...

    > They'll pant and moan about PC architecture, until they adopt it
    > themselves. Standard Apple hypocrisy.

    Then again....with netbooks, I too see cramped keyboards, terrible software,
    junky hardware, small screens, things I would not waste my time with.
    Netbooks are to standard notebooks, let alone PCs, what "starter edition"
    software is to the real thing. If that's all you can afford, fine. If you
    already have a PC and a notebook and you want another gadget, fine. But
    don't pretend there's more to it than that.
    impossible, Apr 23, 2009
  4. Bobs <> wrote:

    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > > Apple on netbooks <http://blogs.zdnet.com/Apple/?p=3773>:
    > >
    > > I see cramped keyboards, terrible software, junky hardware, small
    > > screens, things I would not put the Mac brand on

    > > It's a stretch to call netbooks personal computers, they're propping up
    > > PC manufacturer's numbers
    > >
    > > Well, Apple's numbers could do with some "propping up" about now...
    > >

    > They've always been a bunch of elitist cunts.

    I'm always amused when I read stuff like the above. Not only is Apple
    doing great during this recession (best get your facts straight,
    Lawrence), there still hasn't been an OSX virus able to spread on it's
    own. So if using stylish hardware with a secure, easy to use, and
    elegant OS makes me an elitist **** in the eyes of those who are
    obviously deeply insecure about their choice of platform (else why
    attack others?), then that's fine by me :) I prefer spending more time
    getting work done than worrying about neverending Windows security
    threats and fighting DRM built in to the OS by MS.

    But please - don't stop making your insecurity and general foolishness
    public :) There once was a time when people were not not proud of
    ignorance and stupidity. But that time is long past, so knock yourself
    out - you'll fit right into the modern culture where we seem to
    celebrate the stupid.

    It's impressive - truly it is.
    Jamie Kahn Genet, Apr 23, 2009
  5. Je|<†¬¬ & µ†‹e <jekyll&> wrote:

    > > Apple on netbooks <http://blogs.zdnet.com/Apple/?p=3773>:
    > >
    > > I see cramped keyboards, terrible software, junky hardware, small
    > > screens, things I would not put the Mac brand on

    > > It's a stretch to call netbooks personal computers, they're propping up
    > > PC manufacturer's numbers
    > >
    > > Well, Apple's numbers could do with some "propping up" about now...

    > They'll pant and moan about PC architecture, until they adopt it themselves.
    > Standard Apple hypocrisy.
    >
    > J&H.

    Wow, that's some chip on your shoulder :-D Secret envy?
    Jamie Kahn Genet, Apr 23, 2009
  6. In message <>, whoisthis wrote:

    > In article <49f03b11$>,
    > Bobs <> wrote:
    >
    >> They've always been a bunch of elitist cunts.

    > which is why everyone copies them...... but badly because they have no
    > understanding of good design.

    They used to be better, though. I thought the G4 iMac was the peak of
    Apple's design skillz. But they've gone downhill since then...
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Apr 23, 2009
  7. More here <http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=4210>. Ironic to hear Apple
    complaining about the limitations of netbooks, when their present
    alternatives (iPhone, iPod Touch) are even worse.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Apr 24, 2009
  8. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Richard Guest

    Bobs wrote:
    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    >> Well, Apple's numbers could do with some "propping up" about now...
    >>

    > They've always been a bunch of elitist cunts.

    Yeah, they are. Dont make any usable hardware for someone wanting
    something between the gutless mac mini and a stupidly powerfull with
    unnessacary xeons mac pro.

    And all their stuff is IMO pretty damn ugly, made to stand out like dogs
    balls screaming "look at me, I own an apple" - no other computer
    manufacturer I have seen is desperate enough to put a damn light up logo
    on the top of all their portable computers, which incidentally leads
    many people to cover the logo up with an opaque sticker so as to not to
    annoy lecturers in class with a bright light on their computer lid...
    Richard, Apr 24, 2009
  9. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Richard Guest

    impossible wrote:

    > Then again....with netbooks, I too see cramped keyboards, terrible
    > software, junky hardware, small screens, things I would not waste my
    > time with. Netbooks are to standard notebooks, let alone PCs, what
    > "starter edition" software is to the real thing. If that's all you can
    > afford, fine. If you already have a PC and a notebook and you want
    > another gadget, fine. But don't pretend there's more to it than that.

    But when all that will fit in your bag easily, and all you need to do is
    ssh into places, or use the web to flick some files around the place
    over 3g or wifi hotspots then they are great.

    Stop knocking things because you dont fit the usage profile they are
    made for. I hate peoplemovers with a passion for driving, but I can see
    that they suit a lot of people very well.

    Its not a matter of affording either - they are more expensive then a
    larger more powerfull full size laptop - which is too big to carry many
    places with you so unsuitable for heaps of stuff.
    Richard, Apr 24, 2009
  10. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    impossible Guest

    "Richard" <> wrote in message
    > impossible wrote:
    >
    >> Then again....with netbooks, I too see cramped keyboards, terrible
    >> software, junky hardware, small screens, things I would not waste my time
    >> with. Netbooks are to standard notebooks, let alone PCs, what "starter
    >> edition" software is to the real thing. If that's all you can afford,
    >> fine. If you already have a PC and a notebook and you want another
    >> gadget, fine. But don't pretend there's more to it than that.

    > But when all that will fit in your bag easily, and all you need to do is
    > ssh into places, or use the web to flick some files around the place over
    > 3g or wifi hotspots then they are great.

    That's the image the marketing people are shooting for, yes. And if you're
    willing to look past the cramped keyboards, terrible software, junky
    hardware, and small screens, you too can play the part..

    > Stop knocking things because you dont fit the usage profile they are made
    > for. I hate peoplemovers with a passion for driving, but I can see that
    > they suit a lot of people very well.

    Sorry, netbooks are simply ridiculous.

    > Its not a matter of affording either - they are more expensive then a
    > larger more powerfull full size laptop - which is too big to carry many
    > places with you so unsuitable for heaps of stuff.

    Ok, have it your way. Netbooks are expensive, too..
    impossible, Apr 24, 2009
  11. Bobs <> wrote:

    > Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:
    > > Bobs <> wrote:

    > >> They've always been a bunch of elitist cunts.

    > > I'm always amused when I read stuff like the above. Not only is Apple
    > > doing great during this recession (best get your facts straight,
    > > Lawrence), there still hasn't been an OSX virus able to spread on it's
    > > own. So if using stylish hardware with a secure, easy to use, and
    > > elegant OS makes me an elitist **** in the eyes of those who are
    > > obviously deeply insecure about their choice of platform (else why
    > > attack others?), then that's fine by me :) I prefer spending more time
    > > getting work done than worrying about neverending Windows security
    > > threats and fighting DRM built in to the OS by MS.
    > >
    > > But please - don't stop making your insecurity and general foolishness
    > > public :) There once was a time when people were not not proud of
    > > ignorance and stupidity. But that time is long past, so knock yourself
    > > out - you'll fit right into the modern culture where we seem to
    > > celebrate the stupid.
    > >
    > > It's impressive - truly it is.

    > Like I said, elitist cunts. Seriously.

    It's not hard to be elitist with insecure fools like you :-D Please -
    say something else stupid so I can lord myself over you :-D (does this
    idiot realise I'm laughing my arse off at him?)
    Jamie Kahn Genet, Apr 24, 2009
  12. Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:

    > More here <http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=4210>. Ironic to hear Apple
    > complaining about the limitations of netbooks, when their present
    > alternatives (iPhone, iPod Touch) are even worse.

    How are they complaining? They're simply saying they don't want to make
    them. Apple have never been about making underpowered bargain basement
    computers. Their idea of a netbook will likely be a mini-MacBook Air and
    won't be just a few hundred dollars. Or maybe they'll pass over the
    whole idea of netbooks and stick with the iPhones/iPod touch with the
    possible addition of a small (yet larger than the iPhone) tablet using
    the iPhone OS.
    Jamie Kahn Genet, Apr 24, 2009
  13. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Jack Spratt Guest

    "Jamie Kahn Genet" <> wrote in message

    > Please say something else stupid so I can lord myself over you :-D

    Please take your euphemisms over to nz.gay
    Jack Spratt, Apr 24, 2009
  14. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Party Animal Guest

    Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:
    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:
    >
    >> More here <http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=4210>. Ironic to hear Apple
    >> complaining about the limitations of netbooks, when their present
    >> alternatives (iPhone, iPod Touch) are even worse.

    > How are they complaining? They're simply saying they don't want to make
    > them. Apple have never been about making underpowered bargain basement
    > computers. Their idea of a netbook will likely be a mini-MacBook Air and
    > won't be just a few hundred dollars. Or maybe they'll pass over the
    > whole idea of netbooks and stick with the iPhones/iPod touch with the
    > possible addition of a small (yet larger than the iPhone) tablet using
    > the iPhone OS.

    Will there be all the "jailbreaking" palaver to go through to get to put
    your own stuff on it ?
    Party Animal, Apr 24, 2009
  15. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Party Animal Guest

    whoisthis wrote:

    > Nope, the PPC is still a superior architecture, they just don't make a
    > low power version.

    Seems to work OK for all the current game consoles
    Party Animal, Apr 24, 2009
  16. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Mike Dee Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:

    > Well, Apple's numbers could do with some "propping up" about now...

    This post belongs in an "advocacy" group. Why isn't it?

    --
    dee
    Mike Dee, Apr 24, 2009
  17. Bobs <> wrote:

    > Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:
    > > Bobs <> wrote:

    > >> Like I said, elitist cunts. Seriously.

    > > It's not hard to be elitist with insecure fools like you :-D Please -
    > > say something else stupid so I can lord myself over you :-D (does this
    > > idiot realise I'm laughing my arse off at him?)

    > What a load of crap you disgusting gnat. Here's an interesting article
    > from zdnet regarding what people in the IT field think of Jobs and Apple
    > macs.
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/2d545u
    >
    > Sums it all up really, Jamie.
    >
    > Thanks for trying though.

    Sadly for you I have a clue and that pathetic trick will not work on me.
    Nice try though Mr. Insecure child :-D

    FYI - anyone caught by this just has to hover their mouse pointer over
    the tab/window's close button and hit that inbetween the dialog poping
    up. So hit enter, then immediately click. Problem solved, another
    child's attempt to cause trouble thwarted in mere seconds :)

    (Do you think he realises we're all laughing at him now?)

    (also - what do you want to bet he was unaware how easily that prank was
    to foil? :-D Pretty damn sad *chuckles*)

    Well, I'm off to enjoy another day of worry and hassle free computing
    *grins* The very thought that such a thing could exist drives people
    like Bob insane. I've been a happy Mac user for a couple decades now -
    doesn't that just make your blood boil, eh Bob? People enjoying their
    computer without security worries or DRM built into the OS - it really
    shouldn't be allowed :-D
    Jamie Kahn Genet, Apr 24, 2009
  18. Jack Spratt <pickledpork@_nospam_gmail.com> wrote:

    > "Jamie Kahn Genet" <> wrote in message
    >
    > > Please say something else stupid so I can lord myself over you :-D

    > Please take your euphemisms over to nz.gay

    Homophobe, huh? Why do gay people scare you?
    Jamie Kahn Genet, Apr 24, 2009
  19. Party Animal <> wrote:

    > Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:
    > > Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:
    > >
    > >> More here <http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=4210>. Ironic to hear Apple
    > >> complaining about the limitations of netbooks, when their present
    > >> alternatives (iPhone, iPod Touch) are even worse.

    > > How are they complaining? They're simply saying they don't want to make
    > > them. Apple have never been about making underpowered bargain basement
    > > computers. Their idea of a netbook will likely be a mini-MacBook Air and
    > > won't be just a few hundred dollars. Or maybe they'll pass over the
    > > whole idea of netbooks and stick with the iPhones/iPod touch with the
    > > possible addition of a small (yet larger than the iPhone) tablet using
    > > the iPhone OS.

    > Will there be all the "jailbreaking" palaver to go through to get to put
    > your own stuff on it ?

    Will anyone care nowadays with the app store? Back before the app store
    I knew a couple people who had jailbroken their iPhones. Today I can't
    find any acquaintances who bother.
    Jamie Kahn Genet, Apr 24, 2009
  20. Mike Dee <> wrote:

    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:
    >
    > > Well, Apple's numbers could do with some "propping up" about now...

    > This post belongs in an "advocacy" group. Why isn't it?

    Why do trolls like Bob, homophobes like Jack, and other nutters seek
    attention? They don't know how to form positive relationships in life so
    even negative attention is better than none at all. Basically they're
    very lonely people who are lashing out at the society that rejects there
    bad behaviour. Sad really...
    Jamie Kahn Genet, Apr 24, 2009