Metal densities

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Mike Easter, Mar 19, 2007.

  1. Mike Easter

    Mike Easter Guest

    I ran into a wiki article recently that mentioned that uranium is almost
    twice as dense as lead. I have handled and sold bulk lead ingots many
    long years ago and I found it quite dense - 'heavy', so imagining the
    significantly greater density of uranium caused me some wonder and to do
    a little research on the density of some other metals, almost all of
    which I haven't handled. To give a perspective, I'll include water

    1000 water
    1738 magnesium
    2600 aluminum
    7850 steel
    11340 lead
    18900 uranium
    19320 gold
    21400 platinum

    So, the next time I get ready to pick up some ingots of platinum or
    gold, I'll keep their heft in mind, so I won't strain my back. I'll
    just grab one or two at a time. :)

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Mar 19, 2007

  2. Mike Easter

    meerkat Guest

    "Mike Easter" <> wrote in message
    >I ran into a wiki article recently that mentioned that uranium is almost
    > twice as dense as lead. I have handled and sold bulk lead ingots many
    > long years ago and I found it quite dense - 'heavy', so imagining the
    > significantly greater density of uranium caused me some wonder and to do
    > a little research on the density of some other metals, almost all of
    > which I haven't handled. To give a perspective, I'll include water
    >
    > 1000 water
    > 1738 magnesium
    > 2600 aluminum
    > 7850 steel
    > 11340 lead
    > 18900 uranium
    > 19320 gold
    > 21400 platinum
    >
    > So, the next time I get ready to pick up some ingots of platinum or
    > gold, I'll keep their heft in mind, so I won't strain my back. I'll
    > just grab one or two at a time. :)

    Grab a couple for me Mike.
    I`ve got some Ibuprofen spray for your bad back <g>

    --
    BW..

    meerkat, Mar 19, 2007

  3. "Mike Easter" <> wrote in message
    >I ran into a wiki article recently that mentioned that uranium is almost
    > twice as dense as lead. I have handled and sold bulk lead ingots many
    > long years ago and I found it quite dense - 'heavy', so imagining the
    > significantly greater density of uranium caused me some wonder and to do
    > a little research on the density of some other metals, almost all of
    > which I haven't handled. To give a perspective, I'll include water
    >
    > 1000 water
    > 1738 magnesium
    > 2600 aluminum
    > 7850 steel
    > 11340 lead
    > 18900 uranium
    > 19320 gold
    > 21400 platinum

    22610 osmium!

    -Jeepers Creepers

    Jeepers Creepers, Mar 19, 2007
  4. Mike Easter

    WhzzKdd Guest

    >I ran into a wiki article recently that mentioned that uranium is almost
    > twice as dense as lead. I have handled and sold bulk lead ingots many
    > long years ago and I found it quite dense - 'heavy', so imagining the
    > significantly greater density of uranium caused me some wonder and to do
    > a little research on the density of some other metals, almost all of
    > which I haven't handled. To give a perspective, I'll include water
    >
    > 1000 water
    > 1738 magnesium
    > 2600 aluminum
    > 7850 steel
    > 11340 lead
    > 18900 uranium
    > 19320 gold
    > 21400 platinum
    >
    > So, the next time I get ready to pick up some ingots of platinum or
    > gold, I'll keep their heft in mind, so I won't strain my back. I'll
    > just grab one or two at a time. :)

    Wow - heavy metal describes it quite well!

    WhzzKdd, Mar 19, 2007
  5. Jeepers Creepers wrote:
    > "Mike Easter" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>I ran into a wiki article recently that mentioned that uranium is almost
    >>twice as dense as lead. I have handled and sold bulk lead ingots many
    >>long years ago and I found it quite dense - 'heavy', so imagining the
    >>significantly greater density of uranium caused me some wonder and to do
    >>a little research on the density of some other metals, almost all of
    >>which I haven't handled. To give a perspective, I'll include water
    >>
    >>1000 water
    >>1738 magnesium
    >>2600 aluminum
    >>7850 steel
    >>11340 lead
    >>18900 uranium
    >>19320 gold
    >>21400 platinum
    >>

    > 22610 osmium!

    I still think Donny is denser than Marie.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Mar 19, 2007
  6. Mike Easter

    Min J. Singh Guest

    Mike Easter wrote:

    > I ran into a wiki article recently that mentioned that uranium is almost
    > twice as dense as lead. I have handled and sold bulk lead ingots many
    > long years ago and I found it quite dense - 'heavy', so imagining the
    > significantly greater density of uranium caused me some wonder and to do
    > a little research on the density of some other metals, almost all of
    > which I haven't handled. To give a perspective, I'll include water
    >
    > 1000 water
    > 1738 magnesium
    > 2600 aluminum
    > 7850 steel
    > 11340 lead
    > 18900 uranium
    > 19320 gold
    > 21400 platinum
    >
    > So, the next time I get ready to pick up some ingots of platinum or
    > gold, I'll keep their heft in mind, so I won't strain my back. I'll
    > just grab one or two at a time. :)
    >
    > --
    > Mike Easter

    Thus the reason for using Depleted Uranium (DU) in both tank armour and
    ammunitrion.
    It is also controversial because it is still has low levels of rodioactivity
    and when it is used in ammunition can be breathed in by both friendly and
    non-friendly forces.

    Min J. Singh, Mar 19, 2007
  7. On 2007-03-19, in 24hoursupport.helpdesk, R�� waxed eloquently:
    > Jeepers Creepers wrote:
    >> "Mike Easter" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>I ran into a wiki article recently that mentioned that uranium is almost
    >>>twice as dense as lead. I have handled and sold bulk lead ingots many
    >>>long years ago and I found it quite dense - 'heavy', so imagining the
    >>>significantly greater density of uranium caused me some wonder and to do
    >>>a little research on the density of some other metals, almost all of
    >>>which I haven't handled. To give a perspective, I'll include water
    >>>
    >>>1000 water
    >>>1738 magnesium
    >>>2600 aluminum
    >>>7850 steel
    >>>11340 lead
    >>>18900 uranium
    >>>19320 gold
    >>>21400 platinum
    >>>

    >> 22610 osmium!

    > I still think Donny is denser than Marie.

    But the densest of all is explained here:

    http://notsaussure.wordpress.com/2006/10/24/another-major-scientific-
    discovery-densest-element-discovered/

    or

    http://tinyurl.com/2porgq

    --
    The Old Sourdough
    Smoking is, as far as I'm concerned, the entire point of being an adult.

    The Old Sourdough, Mar 19, 2007
  8. Mike Easter

    Mike Easter Guest

    The Old Sourdough wrote:
    > R��

    >> I still think Donny is denser than Marie.

    > But the densest of all is explained here:

    // A major research institution has just announced the discovery of the
    densest element yet known to science. The new element has been named
    "Bushcronium." Bushcronium has one neutron, 12 assistant neutrons, 75
    deputy neutrons, and 224 assistant deputy neutrons, giving it an atomic
    mass of 311. These particles are held together by dark forces called
    morons, which are surrounded by vast quantities of lepton-like particles
    called peons. The symbol for Bushcronium is "W". Bushcronium's mass
    actually increases over time, as morons randomly interact with various
    elements in the atmosphere and become assistant deputy neutrons in a
    Bushcronium molecule, forming isodopes. This characteristic of
    moron-promotion leads some scientists to believe that Bushcronium is
    formed whenever morons reach a certain quantity in concentration. This
    hypothetical quantity is referred to as "Critical Morass". When
    catalyzed with money, Bushcronium activates Foxnewsium, an element that
    radiates orders of magnitude more energy, albeit as incoherent noise,
    since it has 1/2 as many peons but twice as many morons.//

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Mar 19, 2007
  9. Jeepers Creepers wrote:

    > "Mike Easter" <> wrote in message
    >>I ran into a wiki article recently that mentioned that uranium is almost
    >> twice as dense as lead. I have handled and sold bulk lead ingots many
    >> long years ago and I found it quite dense - 'heavy', so imagining the
    >> significantly greater density of uranium caused me some wonder and to do
    >> a little research on the density of some other metals, almost all of
    >> which I haven't handled. To give a perspective, I'll include water
    >>
    >> 1000 water
    >> 1738 magnesium
    >> 2600 aluminum
    >> 7850 steel
    >> 11340 lead
    >> 18900 uranium
    >> 19320 gold
    >> 21400 platinum
    >>

    > 22610 osmium!

    48968 realdensium

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

    Blinky the Shark, Mar 20, 2007
  10. Mike Easter

    Frosty Guest

    On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 17:58:10 -0400 in 24hoursupport.helpdesk "Min J.
    Singh" <>, intended to write something
    intelligible, but instead wrote :

    >Mike Easter wrote:
    >
    >> I ran into a wiki article recently that mentioned that uranium is almost
    >> twice as dense as lead. I have handled and sold bulk lead ingots many
    >> long years ago and I found it quite dense - 'heavy', so imagining the
    >> significantly greater density of uranium caused me some wonder and to do
    >> a little research on the density of some other metals, almost all of
    >> which I haven't handled. To give a perspective, I'll include water
    >>
    >> 1000 water
    >> 1738 magnesium
    >> 2600 aluminum
    >> 7850 steel
    >> 11340 lead
    >> 18900 uranium
    >> 19320 gold
    >> 21400 platinum
    >>
    >> So, the next time I get ready to pick up some ingots of platinum or
    >> gold, I'll keep their heft in mind, so I won't strain my back. I'll
    >> just grab one or two at a time. :)
    >>
    >> --
    >> Mike Easter

    >Thus the reason for using Depleted Uranium (DU) in both tank armour and
    >ammunitrion.
    >It is also controversial because it is still has low levels of rodioactivity
    >and when it is used in ammunition can be breathed in by both friendly and
    >non-friendly forces.

    Since the US gov't sets the value of money, they should just use gold.
    Heck, we taxpayers don't mind!

    Frosty, Mar 20, 2007
  11. Mike Easter

    Keme Guest

    Mike Easter skrev:
    > The Old Sourdough wrote:
    >> R��

    >>> I still think Donny is denser than Marie.

    >> But the densest of all is explained here:

    > // A major research institution has just announced the discovery of the
    > densest element yet known to science. The new element has been named
    > "Bushcronium." Bushcronium has one neutron, 12 assistant neutrons, 75
    > deputy neutrons, and 224 assistant deputy neutrons, giving it an atomic
    > mass of 311. These particles are held together by dark forces called
    > morons, which are surrounded by vast quantities of lepton-like particles
    > called peons. The symbol for Bushcronium is "W". Bushcronium's mass
    > actually increases over time, as morons randomly interact with various
    > elements in the atmosphere and become assistant deputy neutrons in a
    > Bushcronium molecule, forming isodopes. This characteristic of
    > moron-promotion leads some scientists to believe that Bushcronium is
    > formed whenever morons reach a certain quantity in concentration. This
    > hypothetical quantity is referred to as "Critical Morass". When
    > catalyzed with money, Bushcronium activates Foxnewsium, an element that
    > radiates orders of magnitude more energy, albeit as incoherent noise,
    > since it has 1/2 as many peons but twice as many morons.//

    ROTFL.

    Don't know for sure about Donny and Marie, but he sure looked denser
    last time I checked. Nothing compared to that other element, though. I
    have detected great density and thickness in that area, but had no idea
    of its magnitude when presented in pure form. Thanks!

    Keme, Mar 20, 2007
  12. Mike Easter

    Alfred Guest

    On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 15:15:18 -0700, "Mike Easter" <>
    wrote:

    >The Old Sourdough wrote:
    >> R��

    >>> I still think Donny is denser than Marie.

    >> But the densest of all is explained here:

    >// A major research institution has just announced the discovery of the
    >densest element yet known to science. The new element has been named
    >"Bushcronium." Bushcronium has one neutron, 12 assistant neutrons, 75
    >deputy neutrons, and 224 assistant deputy neutrons, giving it an atomic
    >mass of 311. These particles are held together by dark forces called
    >morons, which are surrounded by vast quantities of lepton-like particles
    >called peons. The symbol for Bushcronium is "W". Bushcronium's mass
    >actually increases over time, as morons randomly interact with various
    >elements in the atmosphere and become assistant deputy neutrons in a
    >Bushcronium molecule, forming isodopes. This characteristic of
    >moron-promotion leads some scientists to believe that Bushcronium is
    >formed whenever morons reach a certain quantity in concentration. This
    >hypothetical quantity is referred to as "Critical Morass". When
    >catalyzed with money, Bushcronium activates Foxnewsium, an element that
    >radiates orders of magnitude more energy, albeit as incoherent noise,
    >since it has 1/2 as many peons but twice as many morons.//

    Worth a chuckle.
    I'll pass it on to someone who likes that sort of humour

    Alfred, Mar 20, 2007
  13. Mike Easter

    Dr. Beard Guest

    On Tue, Mar 20, 2007 at 10:04:07AM -0500, Frosty wrote:
    > On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 17:58:10 -0400 in 24hoursupport.helpdesk "Min J.
    > Singh" <>, intended to write something
    > intelligible, but instead wrote :
    >
    > >Mike Easter wrote:
    > >> 1000 water
    > >> 1738 magnesium
    > >> 2600 aluminum
    > >> 7850 steel
    > >> 11340 lead
    > >> 18900 uranium
    > >> 19320 gold
    > >> 21400 platinum
    > >>
    > >> So, the next time I get ready to pick up some ingots of platinum or
    > >> gold, I'll keep their heft in mind, so I won't strain my back. I'll
    > >> just grab one or two at a time. :)
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Mike Easter

    > >Thus the reason for using Depleted Uranium (DU) in both tank armour and
    > >ammunitrion.
    > >It is also controversial because it is still has low levels of rodioactivity
    > >and when it is used in ammunition can be breathed in by both friendly and
    > >non-friendly forces.
    > >

    > Since the US gov't sets the value of money, they should just use gold.
    > Heck, we taxpayers don't mind!

    Depleted Uranium is more expensive than gold, plus it is apparently
    chemically toxic which can only enhance the effectiveness of the round.
    Don't worry. When the USG finally admits that vaporised DU ordinance
    presents an environmental hazzard, they'll award the cleanup contract to
    Haliburton -- who will just happen to be in the area at the time.

    On the Gold side, were they to use it in munitions, you should imagine all
    the enemies of the US lining up and begging to be shelled by artillery...

    Dr. Beard, Mar 20, 2007
  14. Mike Easter

    WhzzKdd Guest

    "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message
    > Jeepers Creepers wrote:
    >>
    >> "Mike Easter" <> wrote in message
    >>>I ran into a wiki article recently that mentioned that uranium is almost
    >>> twice as dense as lead. I have handled and sold bulk lead ingots many
    >>> long years ago and I found it quite dense - 'heavy', so imagining the
    >>> significantly greater density of uranium caused me some wonder and to do
    >>> a little research on the density of some other metals, almost all of
    >>> which I haven't handled. To give a perspective, I'll include water
    >>>
    >>> 1000 water
    >>> 1738 magnesium
    >>> 2600 aluminum
    >>> 7850 steel
    >>> 11340 lead
    >>> 18900 uranium
    >>> 19320 gold
    >>> 21400 platinum
    >>>

    >> 22610 osmium!

    > 48968 realdensium

    Heh heh! I bet they got that from the Roswell crash site.

    WhzzKdd, Mar 20, 2007