Metabones: $400 worth of scrap plastic and aluminum

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by RichA, Mar 13, 2012.

  1. RichA

    RichA Guest

    1. Advertising

  2. RichA

    Bo-Ming Tong Guest

    Re: Metabones: $400 worth of scrap plastic and aluminum

    On Mar 12, 10:17 pm, RichA <> wrote:
    > http://www.eoshd.com/content/7415/revealed-metabones-ef-sony-e-mount-...

    The first line of which reads:

    "UPDATE: Metabones inform me they have fixed the latest adapters with
    an anti-reflective part. If your adapter suffers from reflections, if
    yours has any of the issues below, simply contact Metabones and send
    your adapter back for a service."

    Also if you read the comments to that review, you will find that only
    the first batch shipped on Jan 17 suffered from this problem, and that
    we issued a recall of the first batch on Jan 21, before the shipment
    arrived in any customers' hands. However, this reviewer is still
    holding onto the recalled adapter and writes about its defects as if
    it were breaking news, after those problems have been fixed more than
    a month ago.

    That article was outdated because the problems described were fixed
    more than a month ago. I would strongly recommend anyone concerned to
    read it fully, including the comments.

    Bo-Ming Tong
    Founder, Conurus
    Bo-Ming Tong, Mar 13, 2012

  3. RichA

    RichA Guest

    On Mar 13, 12:06 pm, Bo-Ming Tong <> wrote:
    > On Mar 12, 10:17 pm, RichA <> wrote:
    >
    > >http://www.eoshd.com/content/7415/revealed-metabones-ef-sony-e-mount-...

    > The first line of which reads:
    >
    > "UPDATE: Metabones inform me they have fixed the latest adapters with
    > an anti-reflective part. If your adapter suffers from reflections, if
    > yours has any of the issues below, simply contact Metabones and send
    > your adapter back for a service."
    >
    > Also if you read the comments to that review, you will find that only
    > the first batch shipped on Jan 17 suffered from this problem, and that
    > we issued a recall of the first batch on Jan 21, before the shipment
    > arrived in any customers' hands. However, this reviewer is still
    > holding onto the recalled adapter and writes about its defects as if
    > it were breaking news, after those problems have been fixed more than
    > a month ago.
    >
    > That article was outdated because the problems described were fixed
    > more than a month ago. I would strongly recommend anyone concerned to
    > read it fully, including the comments.
    >
    > Bo-Ming Tong
    > Founder, Conurus

    Thanks for the clarification. Maybe you can answer one question
    though. How is it manufacturers can release products that clearly
    have problems like this? How is it these things skip manufacturing
    Q.C. and yet readily get found by the users? Canon, Fuji, Nikon. All
    of them have done it in the last couple years.
    RichA, Mar 14, 2012
  4. RichA

    On Mar 13, 6:48 pm, RichA <> wrote:
    > On Mar 13, 12:06 pm, Bo-Ming Tong <> wrote:
    >

    > > On Mar 12, 10:17 pm, RichA <> wrote:

    > > >http://www.eoshd.com/content/7415/revealed-metabones-ef-sony-e-mount-....

    > > The first line of which reads:

    > > "UPDATE: Metabones inform me they have fixed the latest adapters with
    > > an anti-reflective part. If your adapter suffers from reflections, if
    > > yours has any of the issues below, simply contact Metabones and send
    > > your adapter back for a service."

    > > Also if you read the comments to that review, you will find that only
    > > the first batch shipped on Jan 17 suffered from this problem, and that
    > > we issued a recall of the first batch on Jan 21, before the shipment
    > > arrived in any customers' hands. However, this reviewer is still
    > > holding onto the recalled adapter and writes about its defects as if
    > > it were breaking news, after those problems have been fixed more than
    > > a month ago.

    > > That article was outdated because the problems described were fixed
    > > more than a month ago. I would strongly recommend anyone concerned to
    > > read it fully, including the comments.

    > > Bo-Ming Tong
    > > Founder, Conurus

    > Thanks for the clarification.  Maybe you can answer one question
    > though.  How is it manufacturers can release products that clearly
    > have problems like this?  How is it these things skip manufacturing
    > Q.C. and yet readily get found by the users?  Canon, Fuji, Nikon.  All
    > of them have done it in the last couple years.

    Thank you for your question. I would encourage you to read the link
    yourself have provided, in particular its comment thread in its
    entirety. All the pertinent information is in the comment thread which
    I don't think there is a need to repeat here.

    eoshd received the adapter in January it took them more than a month
    to find the ghosting problem. That gives you an idea of how "clear"
    the problem was. Also consider the fact that eoshd received a product
    recall notice in January but have chosen to hold onto the product all
    this time, instead of returning it to the manufacturer for repair or
    refund. The only plausible explanation was that the product was so
    important to them that they were not willing to part with it, despite
    the fact that they have been notified the product was defective and
    was in need of a fix.
    Bo-Ming Tong, Mar 14, 2012
  5. RichA

    DanP Guest

    On Wednesday, 14 March 2012 01:48:09 UTC, RichA wrote:
    > Thanks for the clarification. Maybe you can answer one question
    > though. How is it manufacturers can release products that clearly
    > have problems like this? How is it these things skip manufacturing
    > Q.C. and yet readily get found by the users? Canon, Fuji, Nikon. All
    > of them have done it in the last couple years.

    Ever had to meet a deadline? You test and find a list of problems, fix some and others appear as a result. Holding back production till QC is absolutely 100% sure is too costly.

    It happens with cars, satellites, mobile phones, software as well, so it is quite common.

    I blame complexity.

    DanP
    DanP, Mar 14, 2012