    site??

    What's the advantage in using them??

    Daniel
    asdf, Nov 19, 2003

  2. asdf

    rob Guest

    "asdf" <> wrote in message
    news:rVFub.2829$...
    > Do you still need to use meta tags if you want search engines to find your
    > site??
    >
    > What's the advantage in using them??
    >

    > Daniel

    Hi Daniel
    my understanding is that very few, if any, search engines use them anymore
    due to over zealous SEO techniques.
    I think some will use them to display a description of your site but not to
    rank it.
    Some meta tags can be used to prevent your page/s being indexed.

    also they don't actually help search engines find your site, you should
    register with a couple of the major ones like Google and DMOZ and let them
    do their thing.

    rgds
    rob
    rob, Nov 19, 2003

  3. asdf

    asdf Guest

    Cool, yea, find is the wrong word there, i real meen rank / deside on what
    words to show it.

    asdf, Nov 19, 2003
  4. asdf

    AD. Guest

    On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 07:59:41 +1300, asdf wrote:

    > Cool, yea, find is the wrong word there, i real meen rank / deside on what
    > words to show it.

    Although putting half a dozen or so relevant keywords in meta tags
    probably wouldn't hurt, I find the best thing these days is to just use
    proper HTML coding techniques.

    Markup your HTML 'semantically' - ie use tags for their meaning rather
    than their presentation (use CSS for that). That way the search engine
    can make judgements about the importance of each bit of content. Make
    sure your HTML validates, and use a proper hierarchy of heading tags. Make
    sure the headings are descriptive of the topic(s). Put in a proper title,
    and make use of eg <em> tags for emphasis (you could always present them
    the same as the body text with stylesheets if desired) etc.

    A lot of the accessibility guidelines also help out search engines. The
    problems are the same - trying to make sense of a pages content without
    'seeing' it. Minimise the use of tables for layout - they just confuse the
    interpretation of the content.

    And for Google, try to get lots of external links to your site (especially
    from popular sites).

    I would avoid trying to use ranking 'tricks' - the latest trick will end
    up being penalised by search engines and you will find yourself worse off.
    Just code the HTML properly.

    Cheers
    Anton
    AD., Nov 19, 2003