meta tags 2

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Homeworker, Sep 17, 2007.

  1. Homeworker

    Homeworker Guest

    Thnks for replies to previous post , however in absence of
    any avdice or links that lead to what i consider to be authorititive sources

    IE ...who issue meta tags ? suggests their use ? recommends their
    implementation and issues allowable TYPES ? etc , comprehensive
    list of uptodate tags in use etc etc etc

    All i feel i can offer at present is a set of metatags i intened to use
    and ask for comments ............ ( they were copied ? adjusted from
    aleading web page
    rsult on google )

    <TITLE>any title i wish to use </TITLE>
    above ">

    Questions
    1) any obvious missing tags ?
    2) whats difference between description and abstract
    3)whats the point of copyright
    4) whats a resouce type and WHY ? whats its benefit

    any comments / advice futher appreciate
    Homeworker, Sep 17, 2007

  2. Homeworker wrote:

    > Thnks for replies to previous post , however in absence of any avdice
    > or links that lead to what i consider to be authorititive sources

    You have had good advice in your other posts.

    > IE ...who issue meta tags ?

    The author of the page.

    > suggests their use ?

    You can build a conforming web page with no meta tags. They are not
    required.

    > recommends their implementation and issues allowable TYPES ? etc ,
    > comprehensive list of uptodate tags in use etc etc etc

    I've already given you a list of meta tags you should implement.

    > All i feel i can offer at present is a set of metatags i intened to
    > use and ask for comments ............ ( they were copied ? adjusted
    > from aleading web page rsult on google )

    Which page was that?

    > <TITLE>any title i wish to use </TITLE>

    <title>..</title> is required. See the W3C guidelines.

    Keywords are ignored by all major search engines.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meta_tag
    "This is due in part to the nearly infinite re-occurrence (keyword
    stuffing) of meta elements and/or to attempts by unscrupulous website
    placement consultants to manipulate (spamdexing) or otherwise circumvent
    search engine ranking algorithms. "

    This one is ok. Google may show it as the little blurb with your link.
    See the above Wikipedia page.

    > above ">

    Not important.

    Reaffirms your copyright, but not required. You should place your
    copyright notice on the page itself, usually in the footer.

    No relevant use.

    Will tell the search engines to .. well .. index and follow links; but
    it is the default state, so not necessary unless you want to *change*
    the default state to something else, such as "noindex, nofollow" (bot
    stops there), or "index, nofollow" (bot indexes this page, but doesn't
    follow links, or .. you get the picture.

    Generally ignored. The information should be in the HTTP server header.

    Usually used if you didn't write the content, but created the page.

    > Questions
    > 1) any obvious missing tags ?

    Yes, the ones I gave you earlier, about language.

    > 2) whats difference between description and abstract

    You don't need "abstract"

    > 3)whats the point of copyright

    See above.

    > 4) whats a resouce type and WHY ? whats its benefit

    Type of resource - however all web pages are 'documents' (except the
    obvious direct links to images or other binary files)

    > any comments / advice futher appreciate

    You should stop obsessing with this! :)

    Question for you: what DOCTYPE are you using for your pages?

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Sep 17, 2007

  3. Homeworker

    Homeworker Guest

    above means nowt to me , i am using a standard shopping cart system with
    CONTENT
    pages , above is generated auto , but i have opportunity to enter custom
    metas

    Homeworker, Sep 17, 2007
  4. Homeworker

    Homeworker Guest

    whats a http header ?

    also this looks like th most useful "authoritive" document
    i have came acroos so far ..........this ones worth studying !

    http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/global.html#h-7.4.4.3

    Homeworker, Sep 17, 2007
  5. Homeworker wrote:

    > whats a http header ?
    >
    > also this looks like th most useful "authoritive" document
    > i have came acroos so far ..........this ones worth studying !
    >
    > http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/global.html#h-7.4.4.3

    Here is the HTTP header for the link you listed:

    Response Headers -
    http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/global.html#h-7.4.4.3

    Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 01:39:13 GMT
    Server: Apache/2.2.4 (Debian) PHP/4.4.4-8+etch4
    Last-Modified: Fri, 24 Dec 1999 23:37:50 GMT
    Etag: "35c741b0e0f80"
    Accept-Ranges: bytes

    200 OK

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Sep 17, 2007
  6. Homeworker wrote:

    From the W3C link in your other post:

    ...is best, as Internet Explorer does not even recognize properly-served
    XHTML. (Note I said properly served. You can cheat and serve it as
    text/html, but properly served is application/xhtml+xml. See the
    abstract at:
    http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml-media-types/

    > above means nowt to me , i am using a standard shopping cart system
    > with CONTENT pages , above is generated auto ,

    Well, then your cart system probably doesn't follow the rigid standards
    as detailed at the W3C site.

    > but i have opportunity to enter custom metas

    So you aren't writing these pages yourself? In my opinion then, you can
    just forget about it and concentrate on your sales and products.

    Verify your pages here:
    http://validator.w3.org/
    and for CSS here:
    http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Sep 17, 2007
  7. Homeworker

    why? Guest

    On Mon, 17 Sep 2007 00:32:35 GMT, Homeworker wrote:

    >Thnks for replies to previous post , however in absence of
    >any avdice or links that lead to what i consider to be authorititive sources

    Beyond the well documented basics. many authors just make then up as
    they go along.

    >IE ...who issue meta tags ? suggests their use ? recommends their
    >implementation and issues allowable TYPES ? etc , comprehensive
    >list of uptodate tags in use etc etc etc

    See previous suggestions.

    >All i feel i can offer at present is a set of metatags i intened to use
    >and ask for comments ............ ( they were copied ? adjusted from
    >aleading web page
    >rsult on google )

    1 example is hardly a good example.

    ><TITLE>any title i wish to use </TITLE>

    <snip>

    >Questions
    >1) any obvious missing tags ?

    Besides the ones I snipped, or those that mean something to your
    application that I can't even begin to guess what you want.

    >2) whats difference between description and abstract

    http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/description

    http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/abstract

    Beyond what the author of the example meant it to be?

    >3)whats the point of copyright

    www.google.com

    Ask the page author?

    Ask the experts
    Copyright and Related Rights
    Copyright is a legal term describing rights given to creators for their
    literary ... The kinds of works covered by copyright include: literary
    works such as ...
    www.wipo.int/about-ip/en/copyright.html - 7k - Cached - Similar pages

    >4) whats a resouce type and WHY ? whats its benefit

    What the author of the example meant it to be.

    >any comments / advice futher appreciate

    That's funny.

    Me
    why?, Sep 17, 2007
  8. Homeworker

    why? Guest

    On Mon, 17 Sep 2007 01:29:05 GMT, Homeworker wrote:

    >whats a http header ?
    >
    >also this looks like th most useful "authoritive" document
    >i have came acroos so far ..........this ones worth studying !
    >
    >http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/global.html#h-7.4.4.3

    Remembering this is a definition of the syntax and a few examples of
    it's use. It's not , as you asked

    " IE ...who issue meta tags ? suggests their use ? recommends their
    implementation and issues allowable TYPES ? etc , comprehensive
    list of uptodate tags in use etc etc etc "

    Which is why I at least didn't post it.

    The bit you aren't getting is,

    HTML lets authors specify meta data -- information about a document
    rather than document content -- in a variety of ways.

    This specification **does not** define a set of legal meta data
    properties. The meaning of a property and the set of legal values for
    that property should be defined in a reference lexicon called a profile.
    For example, a profile designed to help search engines index documents
    might define properties such as "author", "copyright", "keywords", etc.

    The META element can be used to identify properties of a document (e.g.,
    author, expiration date, a list of key words, etc.) and assign values to
    those properties. This specification does not define a normative set of
    properties.

    The only other lists , or uses of specific tags are the RFCs, there are
    dozens. Try rfc1945 it has a few in the 1 document, see section 10.

    Microsoft made a few up as well.

    So did many other places.

    www.google.com a bit more.

    >"Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> wrote in message
    >> Homeworker wrote:
    >>
    >>> Thnks for replies to previous post , however in absence of any avdice
    >>> or links that lead to what i consider to be authorititive sources

    >> You have had good advice in your other posts.
    >>
    >>> IE ...who issue meta tags ?

    >> The author of the page.
    >>
    >>> suggests their use ?

    <snip>