    Thanx!
    --

    "The Borg assimilated my race, and all I got was this crummy tagline."

    Lick my Decals off, Baby! uh Clem..., Oct 27, 2005

  2. Lick my Decals off, Baby! uh Clem...

    Unk Guest

    On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 01:12:31 -0400, "Lick my Decals off, Baby! uh Clem..."
    <_CHEESE_LOG> wrote:

    >I keep getting this popup thing tellin' me I MUST go to some
    >faggoty-ass website and download the latest handy-dandy software
    >that's gonna end all my problems and keep the evil hackers outta by
    >shorts. Can someone give me a clue?
    >
    >Thanx!

    Disable/Enable/Remove Windows Messenger in XP

    "Shoot The Messenger" utility for Windows NT/2000/XP
    http://grc.com/stm/ShootTheMessenger.htm

    Windows Messenger Spam Elimination Freeware
    http://grc.com/stm/shootthemessenger.htm
    http://grc.com/miscfiles/ShootTheMessenger.exe

    The messenger service is not the problem. The real problem is the fact that you are not running
    a firewall, or if you are, you haven't blocked ports 137-139.

    Disabling the messenger service will stop the popups, but if you have file and print sharing
    bound to your external TCP/IP connection, then you could also potentially be sharing your
    entire hard disk with the world since netBIOS uses ports 137-139.

    Unk, Oct 27, 2005

  3. Lick my Decals off, Baby! uh Clem...

    Jim Byrd Guest

    Hi - If you get popups even when your browser is not connected to the
    Internet with a title bar reading "Messenger Service", then these are most
    likely due to open NetBios TCP ports 135, 139 and 445 and UDP ports 135,
    137-138 and a UDP port in the range of 1026-1029. You really need to block
    these with a firewall as a general protection measure. In addition you
    should be sure that TCP ports 598 and 4444 and UDP port 69 are blocked. You
    can stop the popups by turning off Messenger Service; however, this still
    leaves you vulnerable. If you have an NT-based OS such as XP or Win2k, you
    should probably also specifically block TCP 593, 4444 and UDP 69, 139, 445,
    and install the very important 824146 and 823980 patches from MS03-026 and
    MS03-039, here: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=824146 to
    block the Blaster worm as well as several other parasites. There is a tool
    available here to check for these patches:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;827363

    See: Messenger Service Window That Contains an Internet Advertisement
    Appears http://support.microsoft.com/?id=330904 which identifies reasons to
    keep this service and steps to take if you do.

    You can test your system and follow the 'Prevention' link to get additional
    information here:
    http://www.mynetwatchman.com/winpopuptester.asp Unless you have very good
    reasons to keep this active, it should be turned off in Win2k and XP. Go
    here and do what it says:
    http://www.itc.virginia.edu/desktop/docs/messagepopup/ or, even better, get
    MessageSubtract, free, here, which will give you flexible control of the
    service and viewing of these messages:
    http://www.intermute.com/messagesubtract/help.html Recommended.

    (FWIW, ZoneAlarm's default Internet Zone firewall configuration blocks the
    necessary ports to prevent this use of Messenger Service. I don't know the
    situation with regard to other firewalls.)

    Messenger Service is not per se Spyware or something that MS did wrong - It
    provides a messaging capability which is useful for local intranets and is
    also sometimes (albeit nowadays infrequently) used by some applications to
    provide popup messages to users. However, it can also be (and now frequently
    is) used to introduce spam via this open NetBIOS channel. For a single user
    home computer, it normally isn't needed and can be turned off which will
    eliminate the spam popups. This DOESN'T, however, remove the vulnerability
    of having these ports open, when in fact they aren't needed, since they can
    be perverted in other ways as well, some of which can be much more damaging
    than just a spam popup.

    --
    Regards, Jim Byrd, MS-MVP/DTS/AH-VSOP
    My Blog, Defending Your Machine, here:

    "Lick my Decals off, Baby! uh Clem"

    Jim Byrd, Oct 27, 2005
  4. Lick my Decals off, Baby! uh Clem...

    Plato Guest

    http://www.bootdisk.com/xptop20.htm#3

    Plato, Oct 27, 2005
  5. Lick my Decals off, Baby! uh Clem...

    Plato Guest

    Jim Byrd wrote:

    > Hi - If you get popups even when your browser is not connected to the
    > Internet with a title bar reading "Messenger Service", then these are most
    > likely due to open NetBios TCP ports 135, 139 and 445 and UDP ports 135,
    > 137-138 and a UDP port in the range of 1026-1029. You really need to block
    > these with a firewall as a general protection measure. In addition you

    If I'm not mistaken many software firewalls, eg zonealarm, block them by
    default.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Oct 27, 2005
  6. Lick my Decals off, Baby! uh Clem... bashed at the keyboard and came up with
    this gem of wisdom in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > I keep getting this popup thing tellin' me I MUST go to some
    > faggoty-ass website and download the latest handy-dandy software
    > that's gonna end all my problems and keep the evil hackers outta by
    > shorts. Can someone give me a clue?
    >
    > Thanx!

    Gawd, how old is this? And people are still having problems with it?

    Install a firewall, they all stop it. I bet you aint got one installed have
    you?

    Welcome Blaster et aal

    Michael Thompson, Oct 27, 2005
  7. What trick, what device, what starting-hole on Wed, 26 Oct 2005
    22:21:43 -0700, canst thou now find out, to hide "Jim Byrd"
    <> from this open and apparent shame?:

> [...]

    >Messenger Service is not per se Spyware or something that MS did

    wrong - It
    >provides a messaging capability which is useful for local intranets

    and is
    >also sometimes (albeit nowadays infrequently) used by some

    applications to
    >provide popup messages to users. However, it can also be (and now

    frequently
    >is) used to introduce spam via this open NetBIOS channel. For a

    single user
    >home computer, it normally isn't needed and can be turned off which

    will
    >eliminate the spam popups. This DOESN'T, however, remove the

    vulnerability
    >of having these ports open, when in fact they aren't needed, since

    they can
    >be perverted in other ways as well, some of which can be much more

    Thank you all.
    When I get this dang box workin' right & go up on cable I bought a
    Linksys cable/dsl router which I s'pose'll help alot.
    I now have a SATA Maxtor 200 gig HD and some off-brand regular 20 gig
    and the 20 wants to be the boss. So until I get the second Maxtor 200
    gog to take the stupid 20's place I'll just shut off the messenger
    service.

    'Preciate yer help!

    --

    "The Borg assimilated my race, and all I got was this crummy tagline."

    Lick my Decals off, Baby! uh Clem..., Oct 27, 2005
  8. Lick my Decals off, Baby! uh Clem...

    Jim Byrd Guest

    Hi Plato - Yes, as I said in my post, ZA does do so by default. I'm just
    not sure about any of the others, since I don't use them and haven't wanted
    to install them just to check, but I think you're probably correct.

    Jim Byrd, Oct 27, 2005
  9. Lick my Decals off, Baby! uh Clem...

    Plato Guest

    Jim Byrd wrote:

    > Hi Plato - Yes, as I said in my post, ZA does do so by default. I'm just

    Sheesh yep I missed that, sorry dude.

    Plato, Oct 27, 2005
  10. What trick, what device, what starting-hole on Thu, 27 Oct 2005
    07:11:48 +0100, canst thou now find out, to hide Michael Thompson
    <> from this open and apparent shame?:

    >Lick my Decals off, Baby! uh Clem... bashed at the keyboard and came

    up with
    >this gem of wisdom in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >

    >> I keep getting this popup thing tellin' me I MUST go to some
    >> faggoty-ass website and download the latest handy-dandy software
    >> that's gonna end all my problems and keep the evil hackers outta by
    >> shorts. Can someone give me a clue?
    >>
    >> Thanx!

    >Gawd, how old is this? And people are still having problems with it?

    Ahem...I've been shall we say "away" for the past 5 and a half years,
    a guest at one of Tennessee's fabulous vacation resorts located in the
    beautiful mountains of Yee Haw, Butt-Hole, Nowheresville, hangin' with
    the Rock Man and sometime having visits to the famed "Hole", pissing
    away too many months of my precious life discussing the nuances of
    Nascar and yucking it up with Booty-Bandits, Tree-Jumpers,
    Paper-Hangers and other denizens of the underworld.

    When I checked in (or out as it were) my hard drive was a HUGE 3 gig's
    and my whatchacallit chip in my motherboard screamed along at 200
    mhz...
    I just ordered my second SATA 200 gig HD for this here box I made
    'cause for around 80 bucks I can't *live* without it! And anyway I've
    got a zillion old LP's to put on CD and need the room.

    >Install a firewall, they all stop it. I bet you aint got one

    installed have
    >you?

    uh no.
    I'm still on a dialup, 56K (which is worlds faster than the 28K I used
    to have!)
    But as soon as possible I'll get cable and then'll hook up my physical
    firewall. Spent a bit of time pouring over PC mags whilst cellin' and
    learned that Gate's firewall is really close to useless so why bother?
    I got my CD's and stuff...I can always reload everything.
    One thing I learned from all this is ain't nuthin' important 'cept
    freedom & family. Everything else is just everything else.

    --

    "The Borg assimilated my race, and all I got was this crummy tagline."

    Lick my Decals off, Baby! uh Clem..., Oct 27, 2005