    I don't suppose anyone knows Bill Gates Address do they? Or whoever
    the Chairman of MS is now?

    John
    John, Jan 19, 2004

  2. John

    Jovation Guest

    Probably becauase your OE settings allow it. In outlook express try
    'Tools/Options/ General and untick the box 'Automatically log onto to
    windows messenger'

    Jovation, Jan 19, 2004

  3. XP AntiSpy will get rid of it and more.
    http://www.xp-antispy.org/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=26

    --

    Kenny

    "Cigarettes are killers that travel in packs."

    Kenny Cargill, Jan 19, 2004
  4. John

    John Guest

    On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 17:37:57 -0000, "Jovation" <>
    wrote:

    >Probably becauase your OE settings allow it. In outlook express try
    >'Tools/Options/ General and untick the box 'Automatically log onto to
    >windows messenger'

    It isn't even selected mate, it just brings the program up in the
    background anyway though. :(

    John
    John, Jan 19, 2004
  5. John

    Duane Arnold Guest

    John <> wrote in

    > Is it just me or is anyone else fed up with MS Messenger?
    >
    > This program always runs in the background, and there is no way of
    > getting rid of it. The reason you can't get rid of it is because if
    > you prevent it from launching at start-up, it will always re-establish
    > itself in start-up if you use programs like Outlook and some other MS
    > products. It's a real pain in the arse. I hardly ever use messaging
    > programs, and when I do I use Trillian because I think it's a lot
    > better as you can use Messenger, Yahoo, ICQ and lots of others all in
    > one.
    >
    > It also takes up resources and memory.
    >
    > Okay, that's my rant over.... for now.
    >
    > I don't suppose anyone knows Bill Gates Address do they? Or whoever
    > the Chairman of MS is now?
    >
    > John

    Why can you not just search Google and find out *how to uninstall MSN or
    disable it through the registry* instead of this *light* pissing you're
    doing about nothing? <g>

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Jan 20, 2004
  6. John

    Matt Ferrari Guest

    "John" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 17:37:57 -0000, "Jovation" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Probably becauase your OE settings allow it. In outlook express try
    > >'Tools/Options/ General and untick the box 'Automatically log onto to
    > >windows messenger'

    > It isn't even selected mate, it just brings the program up in the
    > background anyway though. :(
    >
    > John

    I had the same problem with both aol aim and messanger launching
    when I opened outlook express. Unchecking the launch box on OE didnt solve
    the problem as it still kept on doing it.
    What did solve the problem was unistalling the instant messangers
    and reinstalling, then upon launch when asked if I wanted to select
    as the default messanger i picked no for both of them.

    Matt
    Matt Ferrari, Jan 20, 2004
  7. John

    Chris Bee Guest

    On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 16:42:14 +0000,"John" posted ...

    >Is it just me or is anyone else fed up with MS Messenger?
    >
    >This program always runs in the background, and there is no way of
    >getting rid of it.

    Actually if you boot up in Safe Mode and go to: Program Files\Messenger\
    and rename msmsgs.exe to msmsgs.exe.bup or something. Next create a blank
    text file and rename it to msmsgs.exe (no .txt at the end).
    That will stop Messenger from re-establishing itself.

    >The reason you can't get rid of it is because if
    >you prevent it from launching at start-up, it will always re-establish
    >itself in start-up if you use programs like Outlook and some other MS
    >products. It's a real pain in the arse. I hardly ever use messaging
    >programs, and when I do I use Trillian because I think it's a lot
    >better as you can use Messenger, Yahoo, ICQ and lots of others all in
    >one.

    But seeing you are using Outlook etc. visit the site below for more
    comprehensive instructions on un-installing Messenger and in particular
    read the instructions for preventing delays when starting Outlook.
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_messenger.htm
    --

    Chris
    Chris Bee, Jan 21, 2004
  8. John

    melvin Guest

    its been a couple days since your post, so hopefully youve already found a
    way around the problem you had...........but i had the same one, so i
    thought i'd tell you how i fixed it.

    i turned off all of the auto-sign on clutter, both in outlook express and
    msn messenger itself. then go to Start>Run. in the blank box, type
    "msconfig"

    in the box that pops up after that, click the services tab, sort by name and
    uncheck the "messenger" file from the microsoft corp. then go to the
    startup tab in the same window. find/uncheck "msmsgs" because this is the
    file that makes messenger load on startup.

    msconfig is very handy for that kinda stuff, speeding up your startup a bit,
    and reducing the amount of clutter in the bottom right-hand corner of your
    screen.
    melvin, Jan 24, 2004