    How well did it go?

    How much did it cost?

    Cheers Peter...

    Peter, Apr 9, 2005

  2. "Peter" <> wrote in message news:...
    > Has anyone on vodafone or Telecom used Messenger..
    >
    > How well did it go?
    >
    > How much did it cost?
    >
    > Cheers Peter...

    MSN Messenger is only available on Windows Mobile Smartphones or Pocket PC.
    The next option is Agile Messenger (available for all Windows Mobile
    platform plus Symbian Series 60 [Nokia, Sendo] and Symbian UIQ [Sony
    Ericsson P800/P900]). Depending on your GPRS usage MSN Messenger can be
    cheaper than SMS - except on TNZ with $10 cap.

    If you register your mobile number with a service like TextMail (Vodafone or
    TNZ) then you can enter an e-mail address that maps to your mobile phone in
    your Passport profile and receive messages from MSN Messenger as SMS. I
    don't think reply is working through this mechanism here in New Zealand
    though.

    http://www.geekzone.co.nz

    Mauricio Freitas, Apr 9, 2005

  3. Peter

    Chris Mayhew Guest

    Mauricio Freitas wrote:
    > "Peter" <> wrote in message news:...
    >
    >>Has anyone on vodafone or Telecom used Messenger..
    >>
    >>How well did it go?
    >>
    >>How much did it cost?
    >>
    >>Cheers Peter...

    > MSN Messenger is only available on Windows Mobile Smartphones or Pocket PC.
    > The next option is Agile Messenger (available for all Windows Mobile
    > platform plus Symbian Series 60 [Nokia, Sendo] and Symbian UIQ [Sony
    > Ericsson P800/P900]). Depending on your GPRS usage MSN Messenger can be
    > cheaper than SMS - except on TNZ with $10 cap.
    >
    > If you register your mobile number with a service like TextMail (Vodafone or
    > TNZ) then you can enter an e-mail address that maps to your mobile phone in
    > your Passport profile and receive messages from MSN Messenger as SMS. I
    > don't think reply is working through this mechanism here in New Zealand
    > though.

    The OP might like to try installing a Java chat program, not that I have
    looked at any but if my experiences with Java email clients for my GX15
    is anything to go by you will use less data and end up with a good
    result. Actually I was pretty blowen away with whats available. Of
    course I'm assuming that the phone has Java.

    Here is some starters I have been looking at (regarding email)

    freshmeat.net: Browse project tree - Topic :: Communications
    http://handhelds.freshmeat.net/browse/20/

    TuxMobil: JAVA Apps for (Linux) PDAs and Mobile Cell Phones
    http://tuxmobil.org/pda_linux_apps_java.html

    Sharp GX15 Applications :: Productivity
    http://www.getjar.com/software/Sharp/GX15/Applications/Productivity

    Chris Mayhew, Apr 10, 2005
  4. Peter wrote:
    > Has anyone on vodafone or Telecom used Messenger..
    >
    > How well did it go?
    >
    > How much did it cost?
    >
    > Cheers Peter...

    for MSN messenger check out: http://www.e-messenger.net/ ..seems to work
    ok.. not sure how much data charges it uses up but it does the job.

    Robert Bradshaw, Apr 10, 2005
  5. Peter wrote:
    > Has anyone on vodafone or Telecom used Messenger..

    yes.

    > How well did it go?

    ok, although when chatting to more than one person it becomes hard on
    the thumbs.

    > How much did it cost?

    for the 30 odd mins I was playing with it, almost $2, but there was a
    lot of playing going on, including file transfer, if we had kept it to
    only text it would have been almost nothing.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Apr 10, 2005
  6. Peter

    Peter Guest

    Re: Messenger on a Mobile Phone Thx everyone for ytou advice :)

    Peter, Apr 11, 2005
  7. Peter

    Mark S Guest

    Or PalmOS devices (as well as ICQ, AOL, and Yahoo IM clients).

    Had an MSN Client on my Treo for ages now.

    Mark S, Apr 11, 2005
  8. On Sat, 9 Apr 2005 16:20:33 +1200, "Peter" <> wrote:

    >Has anyone on vodafone or Telecom used Messenger..
    >How well did it go?

    I grabbed a java applet called uMsg for my Nokia 6230 (Vodafone). It
    connects to MSN over GPRS.

    >How much did it cost?

    Have only used it a few times but it seems to use quite a lot of data
    connecting, ~ 50k, which is about 50 cents on Vodafone Prepay IIRC.

    --
    Kristofer Clayton (KJClayton)
    Gisborne, New Zealand

    Kristofer Clayton, Apr 13, 2005
  9. Peter

    Tony Guest

    Kristofer Clayton wrote:
    >>Has anyone on vodafone or Telecom used Messenger..
    >>How well did it go?

    > I grabbed a java applet called uMsg for my Nokia 6230 (Vodafone). It
    > connects to MSN over GPRS.
    >>How much did it cost?

    > Have only used it a few times but it seems to use quite a lot of data
    > connecting, ~ 50k, which is about 50 cents on Vodafone Prepay IIRC.
    > --
    > Kristofer Clayton (KJClayton)
    > Gisborne, New Zealand

    I use MSN on my Harrier. Goes great. dunno how much data it uses (dont
    care really). Great for sitting on the couch and MSNing

    Tony, Apr 15, 2005