    really need to, not all the time.
    TIA.
    Eos.

    Eos, Sep 11, 2004

  2. Eos

    mAineAc Guest

    Eos wrote:
    > I need to stop windows messenger popping up every time I connect to the
    > internet using IE and/or OE in Win XP Pro.
    > Anyone know how I can do this? I want to be able to use it, but only when I
    > really need to, not all the time.
    > TIA.
    > Eos.

    I think there is a setting in outlook express to start windows messenger
    automatically. I don't use windows so I can't check it onmy computer.
    Use google if you need more information.

    mAineAc

    mAineAc, Sep 11, 2004

  3. Eos

    WormWood Guest

    With Messenger running, go to tools options / preferences / place or
    remove a tic as needed.

    WormWood, Sep 11, 2004
  4. Eos

    Eos Guest

    "mAineAc" <> wrote in message
    > Eos wrote:
    > > I need to stop windows messenger popping up every time I connect to the
    > > internet using IE and/or OE in Win XP Pro.
    > > Anyone know how I can do this? I want to be able to use it, but only

    when I
    > > really need to, not all the time.
    > > TIA.
    > > Eos.
    > >

    > I think there is a setting in outlook express to start windows messenger
    > automatically. I don't use windows so I can't check it onmy computer.
    > Use google if you need more information.
    >
    > mAineAc

    Most of my google searches have only shown how to 'completely' disable it,
    but I still want to be able to use it.
    The option in messenger itself doesn't stop it from popping up....'some
    option, huh?
    There IS a way to do it, as I knew it before,but after re-installing my
    system I can't remember the method I used before.
    Eos.

    Eos, Sep 11, 2004
  5. Eos

    Eos Guest

    "WormWood" <jojo@..com-de-com.com> wrote in message
    > With Messenger running, go to tools options / preferences / place or
    > remove a tic as needed.

    I've un-ticked it, but messenger still shows up when I reboot the machine.
    Eos.

    Eos, Sep 11, 2004
  6. Eos

    WormWood Guest

    Try this: Start / Run / type in MSCONFIG, <enter> On Start-Up tab, look
    for messenger and untick if it's there. You *could* end up going into
    the registry if this fails.

    WormWood, Sep 11, 2004
  7. Eos

    Unk Guest

    On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 03:48:34 GMT, "Eos"
    <FreeSoft@(SkipTheBrackets)Tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

    >I need to stop windows messenger popping up every time I connect to the
    >internet using IE and/or OE in Win XP Pro.
    >Anyone know how I can do this? I want to be able to use it, but only when I
    >really need to, not all the time.
    >TIA.
    >Eos.

    Preventing MSN Messenger from launching when you open Outlook Express:
    Rename the following file to stop it running at OE startup:
    C:\Program Files\Messenger\MSMSGS.exe
    Then, to run it manually, just double-click whatever you renamed it to.
    You will also find that Outlook Express starts much faster too.

    From Windows Messenger click Tools, Options, Preferences, untick
    "Run this program when windows starts", and "Allow this program to run
    in the background"

    Unk, Sep 11, 2004
  8. Eos

    Elco Guest

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;302089

    http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_messenger_remove.htm

    http://ask-leo.com/whats_the_differ..._windows_messenger_and_windows_messenger.html

    --
    grtz......Elco

    Elco, Sep 11, 2004
  9. Eos

    damien Guest

    all you need to do is Open Outlook Express, go to Tools>Options and in the
    General tab just untick where it says Automatically log onto Windows
    Messenger..easy..

    http://ask-leo.com/whats_the_difference_between_msn_messenger_windows_messen

    damien, Sep 11, 2004
  10. Eos

    Elco Guest

    "damien" schreef in bericht .....
    > all you need to do is Open Outlook Express, go to Tools>Options and in the
    > General tab just untick where it says Automatically log onto Windows
    > Messenger..easy..
    > "Elco" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Eos" <FreeSoft@(SkipTheBrackets)Tiscali.co.uk> schreef in bericht
    > > > I need to stop windows messenger popping up every time I connect to

    the
    > > > internet using IE and/or OE in Win XP Pro.
    > > > Anyone know how I can do this? I want to be able to use it, but only

    > when
    > > > really need to, not all the time.
    > > > TIA.
    > > > Eos.
    > > >

    > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;302089
    > >
    > > http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_messenger_remove.htm

    http://ask-leo.com/whats_the_difference_between_msn_messenger_windows_messen
    > ger_and_windows_messenger.html
    > >

    > > --
    > > grtz......Elco

    Yes...ok.......but it depends of your version of Windows Messenger and your
    version of XP ...
    Therefore read...:

    Elco, Sep 11, 2004
  11. Eos

    joevan Guest

    On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 12:10:42 +0200, "Elco" <> wrote:

    >version of XP ...
    >Therefore read...:
    >http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;302089
    >
    >--
    >grtz......Elco

    Ok, did that but leaving the PreventRun at a value of 1 Messenger will
    not start at all. I have to change the value to 0 as it is put down in
    Regedit.
    joevan

    joevan, Sep 11, 2004
  12. Eos

    WormWood Guest

    damien has the obvious solution and it's easy and simple to do.

    --
    I think most people instinctively look for a complicated fix.

    WormWood, Sep 12, 2004
  13. Eos

    > damien has the obvious solution and it's easy and simple to do.
    >
    > --

    I agree! And it works well too!
    Cheers.
    Eos.