Messenger Faulty!

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by John, Nov 6, 2005.

  1. John

    John Guest

    I don't know if anyone else has had this problem before, but we have
    experienced it in all versions of Messenger so far on one of our
    computers.

    On my sisters sign in, my name is always appearing in the blocked
    list. Even if she moves it to the unblocked list it doesn't remain
    there, it reverts to the blocked list each time she signs in.

    Even deleting the contact and adding it again, it will always go back
    to the blocked list when you sign in the next time.

    Even completely removing the contact from both messenger and the
    hotmail address book and then entering it as a new contact, it doesn't
    work. It puts it back to the blocked list.

    Has anyone else experienced this fault with Messenger?

    I would really like to get someone from Microsoft to see this, perhaps
    through some sort of remote help. Then they will be able to see that
    this really is a fault with their program, and perhaps they will know
    of a way to fix it?

    John

    John, Nov 6, 2005

  2. John

    StephenB Guest

    John <> wrote:

    >I don't know if anyone else has had this problem before, but we have
    >experienced it in all versions of Messenger so far on one of our
    >computers.
    >
    >On my sisters sign in, my name is always appearing in the blocked
    >list. Even if she moves it to the unblocked list it doesn't remain
    >there, it reverts to the blocked list each time she signs in.
    >
    >Even deleting the contact and adding it again, it will always go back
    >to the blocked list when you sign in the next time.
    >
    >Even completely removing the contact from both messenger and the
    >hotmail address book and then entering it as a new contact, it doesn't
    >work. It puts it back to the blocked list.
    >
    >Has anyone else experienced this fault with Messenger?
    >
    >I would really like to get someone from Microsoft to see this, perhaps
    >through some sort of remote help. Then they will be able to see that
    >this really is a fault with their program, and perhaps they will know
    >of a way to fix it?
    >
    >John

    I haven't seen this before, but it doesn't mean that there isn't a problem with
    her Passport information. The blocked list is maintained on the server,
    associated with the Passport. When your name is removed from the blocked list,
    can you communicate with her in Messenger during that session? Does she also
    have other people blocked in her options?
    -steve
    --
    Stephen Boots
    Microsoft MVP - MSN

    StephenB, Nov 7, 2005

  3. John

    John Guest

    >I haven't seen this before, but it doesn't mean that there isn't a problem with
    >her Passport information. The blocked list is maintained on the server,
    >associated with the Passport. When your name is removed from the blocked list,
    >can you communicate with her in Messenger during that session? Does she also
    >have other people blocked in her options?
    >-steve

    Steve.

    When my name is moved over to the allow list I can then communicate.
    However whenever the program is re-started from either exit, logging
    out then back in, or restarting the entire computer, I am back in the
    blocked list.

    There are other people in the blocked list. We have even tried
    deleting my email address from her hotmail account as we thought this
    may be linked somehow, but that didn't make any difference. Even if
    we delete my contact email from both hotmail and every part of
    messenger, from the blocked list, from the allowed list, so nothing is
    there, when my email is added as a new contact it always reverts back
    to the blocked list.

    Every time the Messenger program starts it is just a complete pain
    because I am always in the blocked list so we can not communicate, and
    she always has to manually go in and move me to the allow list each
    time.

    Even completely uninstalling, then reinstalling messenger has no
    effect. I am still in the block list.

    John

    John, Nov 8, 2005
  4. John

    StephenB Guest

    John <> wrote:

    >>I haven't seen this before, but it doesn't mean that there isn't a problem with
    >>her Passport information. The blocked list is maintained on the server,
    >>associated with the Passport. When your name is removed from the blocked list,
    >>can you communicate with her in Messenger during that session? Does she also
    >>have other people blocked in her options?
    >>-steve

    >Steve.
    >
    >When my name is moved over to the allow list I can then communicate.
    >However whenever the program is re-started from either exit, logging
    >out then back in, or restarting the entire computer, I am back in the
    >blocked list.
    >
    >There are other people in the blocked list. We have even tried
    >deleting my email address from her hotmail account as we thought this
    >may be linked somehow, but that didn't make any difference. Even if
    >we delete my contact email from both hotmail and every part of
    >messenger, from the blocked list, from the allowed list, so nothing is
    >there, when my email is added as a new contact it always reverts back
    >to the blocked list.
    >
    >Every time the Messenger program starts it is just a complete pain
    >because I am always in the blocked list so we can not communicate, and
    >she always has to manually go in and move me to the allow list each
    >time.
    >
    >Even completely uninstalling, then reinstalling messenger has no
    >effect. I am still in the block list.
    >
    >John

    Thanks for tha clarification, John. It sounds like a server side issue based on
    the behavior you have seen. As I mentioned, I've never encountered this problem,
    so can't offer a quick fix other than to abandon the problematic Passport
    account and creating a new one - not a good solution, I know! If I can find
    anything else I'll post back.
    -steve

    --
    Stephen Boots
    MVP MSN.COM

    StephenB, Nov 8, 2005
  5. John

    Mian Guest

    rather than move you from one list to the other, try right-clicking on your
    name and selecting unblock. this may communicate with the server slightly
    differnently and fix the msn record

    Mian, Nov 8, 2005