Messenger clients? What's everyone use?

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Gary J. DIkkema, May 5, 2008.

  1. Seeing as how Messenger Live won't run on x64 or on servers...
    Gary J. DIkkema, May 5, 2008

  2. Gary J. DIkkema

    S.SubZero Guest

    S.SubZero, May 5, 2008

  3. Gary J. DIkkema, May 5, 2008
  4. Gary J. DIkkema

    S.SubZero Guest

    On May 5, 11:39 am, "Gary J. DIkkema" <> wrote:
    > Cool!
    >
    > So is RDP supported as well?

    RDP? You mean like remote assistance? This has no reason not to
    work, and isn't reliant on Messenger.
    S.SubZero, May 5, 2008
  5. Well yes and no.

    I've had to install Messenger 4.5 alongside a current version of Messenger
    in the past to get Remote Assistance/Desktop to work on Small Business
    Server.

    FWIW, I have to Remote Assistance on the version of Messenger that I have
    installed on x64 WXP Pro SP2.

    Gary J. DIkkema, May 5, 2008
  6. Remote Desktop is completely unrelated to messenger. And yes, XP x64 is
    "Professional", so it includes Remote Desktop. Home editions do not include
    RDP. Professional and server versions do.

    And XP x64 is definitely seen as an RWW endpoint in SBS - I'm an SBS user
    (and author) and couldn't live without it.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 5, 2008
  7. Inline.

    > Remote Desktop is completely unrelated to messenger.

    Really!

    OK, then how would I use Messenger to assist or take over someone's
    computer?

    And yes, XP x64 is
    > "Professional", so it includes Remote Desktop. Home editions do not
    > include RDP. Professional and server versions do.

    Understand! It's been like that forever.

    > And XP x64 is definitely seen as an RWW endpoint in SBS - I'm an SBS user
    > (and author) and couldn't live without it.

    Didn't mention RWW Charlie; and yes, I'm ALSO able to use RWW and to connect
    to my SBS2003 R2 server and workstations using RWW.

    BUT... <VBG>... I was asking about Messenger running on X64 WXP Pro and
    using Messenger to assist or take over a computer... got any suggestions?

    Thanks!

    Gary J. DIkkema, May 6, 2008
  8. "Gary J. DIkkema" <> wrote in message
    > Inline.

    >> Remote Desktop is completely unrelated to messenger.

    > Really!
    >
    > OK, then how would I use Messenger to assist or take over someone's
    > computer?

    Any version could do that, but again, Remote Desktop isn't Remote
    Assistance.

    > BUT... <VBG>... I was asking about Messenger running on X64 WXP Pro and
    > using Messenger to assist or take over a computer... got any suggestions?

    Actually, you asked about messenger running on XP x64 or SBS. Be careful, or
    I'll "out" you to LanWench about running messenger on your server. ;-)

    Seriously, any version of messenger will do, and I was really responding to
    your "So is RDP supported as well" query. SubZero has pointed at a way to
    get messenger working, and that should do what you need.
    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 6, 2008
  9. Charlie Russel - MVP <> wrote:
    > "Gary J. DIkkema" <> wrote in message
    >> Inline.
    >>
    >> "Charlie Russel - MVP" <> wrote in
    >> message news:...
    >>> Remote Desktop is completely unrelated to messenger.

    >> Really!
    >>
    >> OK, then how would I use Messenger to assist or take over someone's
    >> computer?

    > Any version could do that, but again, Remote Desktop isn't Remote
    > Assistance.
    >

    >> BUT... <VBG>... I was asking about Messenger running on X64 WXP Pro
    >> and using Messenger to assist or take over a computer... got any
    >> suggestions?

    > Actually, you asked about messenger running on XP x64 or SBS. Be
    > careful, or I'll "out" you to LanWench about running messenger on
    > your server. ;-)

    <evil booming laughter>
    Did someone mention my name?

    > Seriously, any version of messenger will do, and I was really
    > responding to your "So is RDP supported as well" query. SubZero has
    > pointed at a way to get messenger working, and that should do what
    > you need.

    .....and you don't need messenger to offer Remote Assistance from your SBS
    box to a domain member computer anyway. Moot point!
    Lanwench [MVP - Exchange], May 6, 2008
  10. Ah HA! Flushed a lurker out of the woodwork here. <G>

    Welcome to my "home" turf. Always a pleasure to have "newbies" here. <g,d,r>

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 6, 2008
  11. Gary J. DIkkema

    S.SubZero Guest

    Messenger isn't required for remote assistance to work, but it's the
    way MS likes it to be done. Remote assistance invites are usually
    sent via messenger, but can also be sent via email. If you look up
    Remote Assistance in Help & Support it shows you how the invites can
    be sent.

    For just plain controlling a remote XP64 box, you don't need
    Messenger. Just have terminal services running. Control Panel-
    >System->Remote->"Allow users to remotely connect to this computer"

    and specify users. I *think* it works like XP32 Pro, where it only
    accepts one user and it locks the console. Control it whenever you
    want.

    S.SubZero, May 6, 2008
  12. Charlie Russel - MVP wrote:

    >Ah HA! Flushed a lurker out of the woodwork here. <G>
    >
    >Welcome to my "home" turf. Always a pleasure to have "newbies" here.
    ><g,d,r>

    Hmmm, Charlie "Deathwish" Russel... <g>

    --
    Steve Foster [SBS MVP]
    ---------------------------------------
    Steve Foster [SBS MVP], May 6, 2008
  13. yeah, I think I may have hit Send a bit too quick. <G>

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 6, 2008
  14. Charlie Russel - MVP <> wrote:
    > Ah HA! Flushed a lurker out of the woodwork here. <G>

    Crap. I knew I should've written in my secret invisible font.

    > Welcome to my "home" turf. Always a pleasure to have "newbies" here.
    > <g,d,r>

    You can't run fast enough, dude.

    Lanwench [MVP - Exchange], May 6, 2008
  15. S.SubZero <> wrote:
    > Messenger isn't required for remote assistance to work, but it's the
    > way MS likes it to be done. Remote assistance invites are usually
    > sent via messenger, but can also be sent via email. If you look up
    > Remote Assistance in Help & Support it shows you how the invites can
    > be sent.

    But if you're logged into an SBS box (at the console or via RD) you can
    issue a remote assistance offer to any domain member machine without
    Messenger or e-mail.

    If I'm not using W2003 (help & support on one of the DCs will bring up the
    option to offer remote assistance; SBS has a link built in), I use a third
    party solution (www.techninline.net) - they have a special offer for MVPs if
    anyone wants to try. I listed this in the private newsgroups a while back.
    The price is good and it works like a champ, really.

    > For just plain controlling a remote XP64 box, you don't need
    > Messenger. Just have terminal services running. Control Panel-
    >> System->Remote->"Allow users to remotely connect to this computer"

    > and specify users. I *think* it works like XP32 Pro, where it only
    > accepts one user and it locks the console. Control it whenever you
    > want.

    Yep - that's Remote Desktop, which is great except for tech support.

    Lanwench [MVP - Exchange], May 6, 2008
  16. Yeah, this bum knee really makes it tough. ;)

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 6, 2008
  17. Inline Charlie.

    > "Gary J. DIkkema" <> wrote in message
    >> Inline.

    >>> Remote Desktop is completely unrelated to messenger.

    >> Really!
    >>
    >> OK, then how would I use Messenger to assist or take over someone's
    >> computer?

    > Any version could do that, but again, Remote Desktop isn't Remote
    > Assistance.
    >

    >> BUT... <VBG>... I was asking about Messenger running on X64 WXP Pro and
    >> using Messenger to assist or take over a computer... got any suggestions?
    >>

    > Actually, you asked about messenger running on XP x64 or SBS. Be careful,
    > or I'll "out" you to LanWench about running messenger on your server. ;-)

    Oh no...<SHUDDERS>

    Actaully it was XP x64 and servers... guess that might mean SBS, <VBG>

    > Seriously, any version of messenger will do, and I was really responding
    > to your "So is RDP supported as well" query. SubZero has pointed at a way
    > to get messenger working, and that should do what you need.

    And actually if ALL you want to do is TYPE you're right although there are
    issues with some installers and getting Messenger installed.

    But it would seem R/A is NOT supported on x64 WXP.

    Regards.

    Gary J. DIkkema, May 7, 2008
  18. Yeah, that's mostly right.

    Once you're on the domain you have access to all boxes.

    However, if you're trying to help out a stand alone X64 WXP that's a
    different story eh! <VBG>

    Regards!

    Gary J. DIkkema, May 7, 2008
  19. Guess I'll have to give email another try.

    Last time I tried that it wasn't as seamless as you make it sound.

    Thanks!

    Gary J. DIkkema, May 7, 2008
  20. Gary J. DIkkema wrote:

    >Inline Charlie.
    >

    >"Charlie Russel - MVP" <> wrote in message
    >>"Gary J. DIkkema" <> wrote in message
    >>>Inline.
    >>>
    >>>"Charlie Russel - MVP" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>>Really!
    >>>
    >>>OK, then how would I use Messenger to assist or take over someone's
    >>>computer?

    >>Any version could do that, but again, Remote Desktop isn't Remote
    >>Assistance.
    >>

    >>>BUT... <VBG>... I was asking about Messenger running on X64 WXP Pro and
    >>>using Messenger to assist or take over a computer... got any suggestions?
    >>>

    >>Actually, you asked about messenger running on XP x64 or SBS. Be careful,
    >>or I'll "out" you to LanWench about running messenger on your server. ;-)

    >Oh no...<SHUDDERS>
    >
    >Actaully it was XP x64 and servers... guess that might mean SBS, <VBG>
    >

    >>Seriously, any version of messenger will do, and I was really responding
    >>to your "So is RDP supported as well" query. SubZero has pointed at a way
    >>to get messenger working, and that should do what you need.

    >And actually if ALL you want to do is TYPE you're right although there are
    >issues with some installers and getting Messenger installed.
    >
    >But it would seem R/A is NOT supported on x64 WXP.

    Remote Assistance is not part of Messenger. Messenger provides easy access
    *to* Remote Assistance, but you can do RA without Messenger (under All
    Programs > Remote Assistance on XP, and under All Programs > Maintenance >
    Windows Remote Assistance on Vista).

    I'm fairly sure RA is there in XP x64 (check the Remote tab of System
    Properties, same as you would for Remote Desktop), but you might find that
    Messenger is unable to "drive" it, possibly a casualty of the 32/64 bit
    interaction process.

    --
    Steve Foster [SBS MVP]
    Steve Foster [SBS MVP], May 7, 2008