Messedup Edition? Not entirely...

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by ChrisCoaster, Jun 24, 2006.

  1. ChrisCoaster

    ChrisCoaster Guest

    I would like to share my antivirus history with you on my 2001 Gateway
    tower:

    >From that year until late '03, I ran Norton AV until I got too broke to

    renew the subscription. I had occasional ME crashes and the usual
    rants, nothing big time.

    For a year I ran no antivirus whatsoever, than decided to go shopping
    in early '05. I started to download the latest Norton, then said to
    myself forget about this - it's both too $$ and uses nearly half the
    256mB memory to run! I then remembered Symantec and installed their
    ZoneAlarm AV/firewall. Cheaper and less memory intensive, it had a
    good interface and lots of customizations, just like like Norton's.

    Almost right away strange stuff started happening. The computer
    started and booted up fine, but ever since installing ZA, a new
    pattern developed: The system hung on 4 out of 5 shut downs. Just a
    black screen with a blinking cursor at 10'clock(that's "upper left
    hand" for those of you that don't understand military lingo - my boss
    was in the army and taught me all the lingo!).

    I had to forced-shutdown the machine, then turned it back on. It
    booted up and was running scan disk. It stated that it found "48XXXyz"
    kilobytes of unused whatever whaawawaawAAA!! and asked if I would like
    to delete it or save it. I deleted it and the systemd finished
    booting. Then, a sign popped up "It appears as though you have no AV
    protection, would you like to turn ZoneAlarm on ( )Y ()N? I clicked
    "Yes" and proceeded to use my system normally.

    I go through this ritual more regularly than some go to church!

    I'm not proud of Windows Messedup Edition, BUT - I don't think it's to
    blame in this case. Anyone concur?

    ChrisCoaster, Jun 24, 2006

  2. ChrisCoaster

    Duane Arnold Guest

    > I'm not proud of Windows Messedup Edition, BUT - I don't think it's to
    > blame in this case. Anyone concur?

    One, you're using ZA.
    Two, you're using Windows ME.

    What more needs to be said?