Messed with file security, now "access denied", how to recover?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Philipp Schumann, Oct 9, 2005.

  1. Hi,

    on a friend's Win XP Pro (SP2), I basically performed the following
    actions:

    - copied her files from "my documents" to a folder in "C:"
    - deleted her account "miri"
    - created a new account with the name "miri"
    - copied her files from the folder in "C:" to new "my documents" folder

    obviously the previous "owner" identity is not identical to the new one
    with
    the same name, fair enough. now, I went into the admin account, and on
    the
    "security" tab of the "properties" for "miri's documents" tried to
    grant her
    access rights. instead I apparently managed to lose all the rights for
    _anyone_ so now even admin can't access her docs anymore. when opening
    "miri's documents" (or any file in it for that matter), or even when
    trying
    to switch to the "security" tab again in the "properties" dialog, i get

    "access denied".

    is there any fundamental place where i can reset the whole security
    information (must be stored in the file allocation table of sorts)? i
    can't
    even backup them to another device at the moment as I even get "access
    denied" when trying, in the command box, to changedir to "miri's
    documents".

    Help greatly appreciated!
    Best regards,
    Phil

    Philipp Schumann, Oct 9, 2005

  2. Philipp  Schumann

    George Guest

    > Hi,
    >
    > on a friend's Win XP Pro (SP2), I basically performed the following
    > actions:
    >
    > - copied her files from "my documents" to a folder in "C:"
    > - deleted her account "miri"
    > - created a new account with the name "miri"
    > - copied her files from the folder in "C:" to new "my documents"
    > folder
    >
    > obviously the previous "owner" identity is not identical to the new
    > one
    > with
    > the same name, fair enough. now, I went into the admin account, and on
    > the
    > "security" tab of the "properties" for "miri's documents" tried to
    > grant her
    > access rights. instead I apparently managed to lose all the rights for
    > _anyone_ so now even admin can't access her docs anymore. when opening
    > "miri's documents" (or any file in it for that matter), or even when
    > trying
    > to switch to the "security" tab again in the "properties" dialog, i
    > get
    >
    > "access denied".
    >
    > is there any fundamental place where i can reset the whole security
    > information (must be stored in the file allocation table of sorts)? i
    > can't
    > even backup them to another device at the moment as I even get "access
    > denied" when trying, in the command box, to changedir to "miri's
    > documents".
    >
    > Help greatly appreciated!
    > Best regards,
    > Phil

    Where the files encrypted by any chance? If so, good luck getting them
    back.

    George

    George, Oct 9, 2005

  3. Philipp  Schumann

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Philipp Schumann wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > on a friend's Win XP Pro (SP2), I basically performed the following
    > actions:
    >
    > - copied her files from "my documents" to a folder in "C:"
    > - deleted her account "miri"
    > - created a new account with the name "miri"
    > - copied her files from the folder in "C:" to new "my documents"
    > folder
    >
    > obviously the previous "owner" identity is not identical to the new
    > one with
    > the same name, fair enough. now, I went into the admin account, and on
    > the
    > "security" tab of the "properties" for "miri's documents" tried to
    > grant her
    > access rights. instead I apparently managed to lose all the rights for
    > _anyone_ so now even admin can't access her docs anymore. when opening
    > "miri's documents" (or any file in it for that matter), or even when
    > trying
    > to switch to the "security" tab again in the "properties" dialog, i
    > get
    >
    > "access denied".
    >
    > is there any fundamental place where i can reset the whole security
    > information (must be stored in the file allocation table of sorts)? i
    > can't
    > even backup them to another device at the moment as I even get "access
    > denied" when trying, in the command box, to changedir to "miri's
    > documents".
    >
    > Help greatly appreciated!
    > Best regards,
    > Phil

    Just a thought: next time, try making a new account first, copying the data
    files to that, then removing the original, and renaming the new one.

    But for this problem, see if this helps:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=313222
    http://www.le.ac.uk/cc/dsss/docs/acls3.shtml

    Toolman Tim, Oct 9, 2005
  4. Howdy!

    "Philipp Schumann" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > on a friend's Win XP Pro (SP2), I basically performed the following
    > actions:
    >
    > - copied her files from "my documents" to a folder in "C:"
    > - deleted her account "miri"
    > - created a new account with the name "miri"
    > - copied her files from the folder in "C:" to new "my documents" folder
    >
    > obviously the previous "owner" identity is not identical to the new one
    > with
    > the same name, fair enough. now, I went into the admin account, and on
    > the
    > "security" tab of the "properties" for "miri's documents" tried to
    > grant her
    > access rights. instead I apparently managed to lose all the rights for
    > _anyone_ so now even admin can't access her docs anymore. when opening
    > "miri's documents" (or any file in it for that matter), or even when
    > trying
    > to switch to the "security" tab again in the "properties" dialog, i get
    >
    > "access denied".
    >
    > is there any fundamental place where i can reset the whole security
    > information (must be stored in the file allocation table of sorts)? i
    > can't
    > even backup them to another device at the moment as I even get "access
    > denied" when trying, in the command box, to changedir to "miri's
    > documents".

    Go to the CMD prompt

    Navigate to C:\Documents and Settings

    Presuming her account tree is named Miri, type in:

    CACLS Miri /T /E /C /G Miri:F

    If that doesn't work - the next step is to mount it on an XP Pro or
    2K machine, and take ownership, then grant "Full" rights for "Everyone" to
    the folder, fixing the permissions as you go back along.

    RwP

    Ralph Wade Phillips, Oct 9, 2005